Players wanted for multiplayer play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players wanted for multiplayer play

I am the author of an alternative civlization game called Global Contention, and very soon the project is going multiplayer. I already have working multiplayer over my LAN, but unfortunately only one person to help me test (who is not very reliable).

I would like to know if anyone would be willing to give this game a try and help out finding bugs or suggesting new features.

The reason I'm posting this here is because this game is primarily based on Civ2. Be warned though that this entire game was built with multiplayer in mind, so many things you would normally be doing in Civ games have been streamlined to make the play much quicker. It is only played in a mode similar to Civ3's turnless, but you will see it still has it's turn-based roots.

Global Contention has support for up 8 players, using TCP/IP, IPX, modem, or serial connection. This is includes AI players, which are all controlled by the host. Also there is a scenario editor which can be used to make all sorts of different scenarios using a variety of settings. I have already tested scenarios over the LAN, and I'm really starting to like the possibilities.

If you would like to try the game before the multiplayer update is released, visit this thread http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=69558

The update should be out within a week.

is it a civ based game?
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

it is mostly based on Civ 2, but there are definitally differences...

is that what you meant?

Comment

I might be able to help in January, but not now.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

this sounds promising

Comment

if anyone (preferably someone not behind a firewall) can help test this week or this weekend, please contact me

on msn add neonext@msn.com

Comment

i may be around this weekend...do you use icq at all? i don't use aim

Comment

that's like the only im serviice i dont use, but i suppose i can get it again by this weekend

Comment

you could try trillian? it uses them all in one easy to use program...

Comment

thanks, i had never heard of trillian before, but it's features look cool so i'm giving it a try.

it turns out i still have my old icq account, it's 158419555

Comment

i'm not sure if i can get this to work through my router, but at the very least i can directly connect the dsl line to one of the computers here for testing. if anyone can help me get this to work with a linksys router, let me know

Comment

sorry i know nothing about routers, but dr spike should be able to help you

Comment

who's dr spike?
                          Last edited by neonext; December 13, 2002, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by neonext
                            who's dr spike?
                            hes a british poster..i think hes british...anyways.....check out the setting up ip games and you will find his spam in there....

good guy, knowledgable in that sortof thing...if anyone can help, i would think he can

Comment

Hehe my spam? This coming from the guy with a bazillion posts.

Yeah if it's advice on routing you need I can help you out. Essentially if you host from behind a router the IP address that you must pass to your opponent is that of the router itself.

This means that the router receives info from the client (your opponent) that your machine needs in order for the game to function. However the router needs to know what to do with the packets of data it receives, which is where the adjustment you need to make comes in.

Set the router to forward all packets arriving on the civ2 MP game port (which is 4993) to your machine. You will need to know the IP that the router has assigned your machine to do this. The configuration usually takes place via a simple web interface......you are looking for the port redirection/translation section or perhaps network address and port translation (NAPT).

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X