Civil War in Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War in Multiplayer

Has anyone ever seen a civil war triggered in multiplayer?

In Single player its triggered when you capture the capital of the largest civ (as measured by the PG). The civ splits into 2 civs.

Someone suggested to me you can't get a civil war in multiplayer. Can someone confirm this with an authoritative source?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Never seen it... and I think it was discussed a ways back that it can't happen to a human player... However, no proof
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think I have the proof now
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

don't they also have to have less than 1000gc otherwise the cap is moved.
        Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Damn annoying when they move their cap like that

Comment

I've never seen it in MP. I suspect it's exclusive to SP. I've seen the civ leading the PG split, I've seen the civ coming second on the PG split.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Makeo
              don't they also have to have less than 1000gc otherwise the cap is moved.
              I've seen civs with squillions in their treasury split.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
                I've never seen it in MP. I suspect it's exclusive to SP. I've seen the civ leading the PG split, I've seen the civ coming second on the PG split.
                Really - never seen that or the high gold civil war. Could it be a civ for Mac thing?

I know there have to be slots available for a civil war to occur i.e. no more than 7 civs in the game.

Comment

Hm I though only a democracy could recolcate its capital with gold.

I also remember hearing that its easier to break up a communism, monarchy, despoitsm than a republic, democracy etc.....

However I lost my capital in one game, playing the equivilent of a fundamentalism, and I didn't get split. There was room for a civ, and don't believe I had 1000 G sitting around either.....I wasn't the 1st or even 2nd most powerful, so....I can't say if I was at risk or not. I do know my fundy kept going quite fine without a capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Really - never seen that or the high gold civil war. Could it be a civ for Mac thing?
                    I don't think it's a Mac-specific thing. Civ splitting in SP has been batted around in these forums for years. For every theory there's a counter theory. When I'm bored during the day, I play some SP. Whenever I cause a civ to split, I make a point of saving the game to reload it to check the PG. The split civ has always been first or second on the PG, I have always been below it on the PG, and a treasury balance hasn't entered into it.

Of course we know that the PG doesn't necessarily reflect population. It may be that population is a key. Next time it happens I'll check for that.

The problem is there's no reference to civ splitting in the manual. Or in my Strategy Guide, for that matter, which is a surprise.

I know there have to be slots available for a civil war to occur i.e. no more than 7 civs in the game.
                    A civ has to have disappeared from the game - freeing up a colour - for it to occur. If you start a game with, say, only 4 civs selected, the split civ can't pick up a colour that wasn't selected at the outset. For the purposes of that game, those colours don't exist.

Comment

A civ has to have disappeared from the game - freeing up a colour - for it to occur. If you start a game with, say, only 4 civs selected, the split civ can't pick up a colour that wasn't selected at the outset. For the purposes of that game, those colours don't exist.
                      That bit can't be right - at least in SP - when I split the civ I'm thinking of, dark blue appears and that colour has never been in the game, giving a total of 5 civs in a game where only 4 were originally selected.

Don't ask me to post a save or that other thing might kick off again

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        That bit can't be right - at least in SP - when I split the civ I'm thinking of, dark blue appears and that colour has never been in the game, giving a total of 5 civs in a game where only 4 were originally selected.
                        Never seen it in SP.

Don't ask me to post a save or that other thing might kick off again

Comment

I've seen civs split up to a total of 7 in SP regardless of how many civs started in the game.

I know this because my favorite SP strat was to cash up - take the ai civ capital triggering civil war and then buy all their cities. Repeat this process until I had conquered the world, leaving one little city, preferably on an island with no port whilst I maxed out my score

Comment

Mmmm. Upon reflection, you're probably right. It occurred to me that my SP games are always with 7 civs. For the challenge, y'see.

Comment

Mmmm. Upon reflection, you're probably right. It occurred to me that my SP games are always with 7 civs. For the challenge, y'see.

I play 7 civs too but you usually only get 4 decent ai ones and 2 mini civs.

Comment

Working...
                              X