Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it about this game? Why are you a quitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it about this game? Why are you a quitter?

What type of people are we?

Why are there so many nasty moments?

Why on Earth does someone quit a game after weeks of investment just because of a failed attack; or the loss of a city?

There seems to be a spoilt element in some of the MP players.
    I'd call it the John McEnroe syndrome.

False accusations fly. Cheating is always mentioned, otherwise how could he possibly lose?

Maybe it's a characteristic of the personality type that loves this game.

I guess we are a lot of perfectionists and when we played the AI we could get away with it but against other like-minded types there is no escape!

So, are you like this type?

Have you ever quit a game as the bad boy?

In a couple of cases players have quit very abusively, questioned the rules or called others cheats and then claimed they'd wiped Civ from their hard drive and said bye to this community!

Just because things didn't work out - they lost a few units or something!

---

Having said that I really don't like playing pally games where everyone is too nice. I love the competeive element and people who take the game very seriously - it's just that there is a point where it tips over...

I can just hear Rah/Ming/War saying, "That's why I like playing with my buddies, people I can trust and just have fun with "

That sound s a bit too boring though...

A game's gotta be real serious, devious, competetive and "nasty in character" but off the tennis court you have to treat each other with respect and be prepared to apologise if you have treated a fellow online player badly or falsely accussed them quite openly.

Sounds like I'm angling for an apology.... LOL

"Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Re: What is it about this game? Why are you a quitter?

Originally posted by deity
    I can just hear Rah/Ming/War saying, "That's why I like playing with my buddies, people I can trust and just have fun with "
    That sound s a bit too boring though...
    At least they don't quit... As long as you can play...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

games are supposed to be fun, not serious

i'd rather not play in the first place than quit in the middle of a game, quitting is rude
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Worst thing is zoners just quitting halfway through the game, for NO reason at all, and with no warning - not even a 'see you later' message. After spending half an hour setting up a game, you just think, what the ****???

Comment

i'm used to that Dr - it comes with the turf in the zone.

I do have to agree with deity on this one. We spent weeks setting this game up - people adjusted work schedules - played 2 weekly sessions. Then someone quit a game ( a diplo game at that) without even really trying to work it out with the others players. I don't know who was right or wrong in the argument I just know that the way it terminated stunk!!

Comment

So this is Diplo...

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'll concede games if I think I can't win and its no longer fun - but I won't quit and make accusations. Anyone who has played me knows that.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Its easy to get caught up in a feeling like the game is forming up against you, espically in these large games with 7 players.

But it seems alot of players don't sit back and see that all things are relative in a game. But it works both ways.

So there's a failed attack, or you get defeated in a battle. Big deal. This is why we play 7 player games diplo games. Hopefully your utter destruction isn't a good thing for another player and the world community should bail you out, or keep you alive at least to plot another day. If they don't then you're just a bad diplomat.

Yeah I can see there's a point in every game where it ought to be "called" and theres no more point in playing, but too many players write off these large complex changing games way too early.

In those game its actually possible to survive and remerge to do something important in anthoer part of the game, espically when tech trading and alliances are more liberal.

Comment

depends on the game type, Diplo 7 palyer you just have to keep playing,,, Tribe, Duel or arena , if you get a bad war it probably all over anyway !!!!
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                    I'll concede games if I think I can't win and its no longer fun - but I won't quit and make accusations. Anyone who has played me knows that.

Our last saturday game was a good example. I got off to one of the worst starts in a long time. Didn't get monarchy till 1650. Languised in last in all the demos for the first 2500 years.
                    BUT, I was still having fun. And never thought of quiting.

By the end of the game, I had crawled back up to a respectable 2nd position. (I had a ways to go to catch Markus) I was getting ready to put some heavy pressure on the other two players. (but still didn't know where any of Markus's cities were)
                    I made myself a pain in the A** to Smartfart. (I did warn him first)

If everyone always quit when I got off to a good start, what fun would that be?

RAH
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Our last saturday game was a good example. I got off to one of the worst starts in a long time. Didn't get monarchy till 1650. Languised in last in all the demos for the first 2500 years.
                      BUT, I was still having fun. And never thought of quiting.

By the end of the game, I had crawled back up to a respectable 2nd position. (I had a ways to go to catch Markus) I was getting ready to put some heavy pressure on the other two players. (but still didn't know where any of Markus's cities were)
                      I made myself a pain in the A** to Smartfart. (I did warn him first)

If everyone always quit when I got off to a good start, what fun would that be?

RAH
                      lol my start was worse then yours... lost an original set and was completely in the middle of tundra.. had a mountain range of 18 mountains and trapped Between SF and the english.. I could only build about 8 citieis and i conquered a bunch of the english ones..
                      Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
                      and kill them!

Comment

And you didn't quit either. Fun can still be had.

RAH
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Here in lies the problem. With a when we learn a board game as children or whenever.....if we are good people we learn that you'll lose alot more often than you'll win, espically when you play a game like risk with 5, or 6, or 7 or howerver many players.

Enter civ2. We all play it against the AI first. No matter what the heavy odds are against us playing with the AI, we intend to always smash the AI, and almost every game of civ2 is winnable against the AI. So we get spoiled. We "have" to win every game.

Its a clashing of worlds. A game we train on to always wins, meets the inventiable long odds of a real board game with real people. Add in the inpersonal nature of the internet and we get all our problems.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that most of the older folks here, were board game fanatics. Ming and I were. So we were used to losing frequently. But we won more than our fair share.

RAH
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was a wargamer and a board game fanatic. Some games can't be won. But that doesn't mean they aren't fun.

So I understand what RAH is saying very well.

Some people seem to use the game to nourish fantasies that they are some kind of genius. Add to that this game attracts perfectionists and you get combustion.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X