Maryland, DC and Virginia Lets meet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland, DC and Virginia Lets meet!

Hey folks. no one responded last time I posted this, but lets see what we can do now. We've got several players in the area, we should get together and do something. Meet in real life.

I know Cavebear is in Maryland. Prometheus is in DC for the semester, I'm here, Capo is here. I'm sure there are more I don't remember. Lets get together.

Post here to plan it out. Or e-mail me at OzzyKP@aol.com
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

I am up for it; Any night(after 6:30) except Monday’s works for me. The only days I am free would be the weekend.

Comment

Ok, cool. Most my evenings are shot, i've got class at 5:30 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Weekends are probably the best time.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm not going

i choose to spare your puny lives, and won't attend so as not to bore y'all to death
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

In February?

If you are meeting from February 19-21 let me know, I'll be in DC and would love to meet other Civ2 enthusiasts.
          Beer - helping white guys dance since 1878.

Comment

Re: I'm not going

Originally posted by ColdWizard
            i choose to spare your puny lives, and won't attend so as not to bore y'all to death
            Are you in the area, Cold? You should really come. You won't bore us, the more the merrier!

Comment

so there

living and working in Fairfax County, and I am more boring than sterilized dirt

all joking aside (temporarily ), my schedule is crap, weekday nights are not possible. only the weekends are do-able, depending on the location of the meet.
              Last edited by ColdWizard; January 23, 2002, 20:39.

Comment

Ok cool then.

It'll deffinately have to be on a weekend. Oh, and Prom, I can't do anything this Sunday, I just remembered one of my friends has her graduation this Sunday.

Perhaps a week from this Sunday? Hopefully we can get in touch with Capo and Cavebear and whoever else is here before then.

Comment

Hmmm...

I might possibly maybe be mildly intrigued in a sort of offhand way to meet someone as boring as sterilized dirt. LOL!

Well, seriously, it would have to be a Friday or Saturday night. I have a real job, and I have to get up too damn early to get to it to go anywhere weeknights ("late to bed, early to rise" makes a person cranky and sadistic, and I have to deal with *people*).

With my luck, I suppose you all will want to meet in either Montgomery County or Northern VA, and I'm in Southern MD.

What kind of place do you guys want to meet at? A casual restaurant might be best. I prefer Chinese, but I'll eat anything from McDonald's on up as long as the food is cooked and it is not fish.

Or some other idea?
                  Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                  Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                  Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                  Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Oz, fine by me.

I am ok to meet anywhere that is with in walking distance of a Metro Stop, unless I can grab a ride with Oz. And that’s if he has alternative transportation.

Comment

as for the meeting spot

i'd prefer Northern VA

but i've a car so i'm flexible, though i prefer not to drive in DC (i always seem to get lost and i can never find a parking spot ), so if it's in DC i'd prefer it to be close to a metro stop

as for when, i guess saturday night would be best, my friday evenings are (rarely) spent on a game of civ or (usually) some extra (in my case"late to bed and early to rise" makes me cranky and stupid )

Comment

Well my suggestions would be Montgomery County (sorry Cave) or at American University. Mainly because i know this area best, and I know if we meet on a weekend AU has parking, and Prom is already there. Its in NW DC, but near the MD border so you wouldn't have to venture too far into the city which I agree is a ***** for cars.

Though on the other hand it'd be nice to break out of my coccoon and visit some new areas. Every time I go to Northern Virginia though I get lost. A few weeks ago I had a speech to give over there and I think i passed the Pentagon 6 times before I got to my destination.

Anyways those are my thoughts. AU has some lounges and stuff we could just hang at. Its accessable to the metro via a shuttle and there are a few selections in Tenleytown for dinner if we were so inclined.

Still no word from Capo, the realization that he was right in the area and Prom was coming to AU was my spark for doing this.

Comment

AU sounds decent (despite the location )

Comment

Sometimes it is a good idea to have some sort of activity available when meeting new people. It gives something to do while figuring out what is had in common with others and disguises the silences between conversation. It doesn't really matter whether it is eating, watching TV, playing a sport, or even feeding ducks at a pond.

I think some of the easiest conversation comes up while waiting your turn to do some else. You go bowling, and when it is not your turn, you have a chance to talk to someone else (or not, comfortably). Or you can start by talking about the food at a restaurant and conversation can turn to other subjects. Etc.

I can guarantee that I'm not going to go meet strangers and plant myself in a chair and just talk and hope something comes of it. There has to be something to *do* while we get to know each other, and I don't care if it is Chinese checkers, a Rubik's cube, or food. But something...

I like the idea of meeting, but the plan seems weak. Suggestions? Or let it die?
                            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Good points cavebear.

So, what activity should we go for?

Dinner is the easiest and most common thing for us to do.

If we want to stick to AU I know restuarants in the area. Guapos is a mexican place that is pretty good. Right by the Tenlytown metro. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X