X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's slower in my experience because he has larger empires than the rest

Just razzing the ol' man
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

• Originally posted by CapTVK
      Oh no!

Ming and Rah were the first to go and now more falter. War4ever, AH and even Rasputin have fallen for Civ3's wicked charm.

Who's next to fall!?

I'm still holding out, but the temptation....OH THE TEMPTATION!!
      I'm still with you Cap, don't give in! We all have to hold out together. Form a support group or something. Or perhaps get some help from War4ever or Markus to get a pirated copy so we don't ever give in to the temptation.

Sloww is holding out, Drake is holding out, so am I. We can do it. The Boycott stands!
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP

I'm still with you Cap, don't give in! We all have to hold out together. Form a support group or something. Or perhaps get some help from War4ever or Markus to get a pirated copy so we don't ever give in to the temptation.

Sloww is holding out, Drake is holding out, so am I. We can do it. The Boycott stands!

No need there to worry OzzyKP. My resolve was tested last week and I'm stronger for it.

I had Civ3 in my hands at a computer fair. I found it way too pricey and put it out of my mind. Civ3 is just a sequel with a lot of undelivered promises (lack of scenarios being a major one). Plus, having seen the handling of the german translation fan-mod by Infogrames with a cease-and-desist order past week I'm glad I didn't.
        Last edited by CapTVK; December 1, 2001, 20:40.
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

• i would never buy this game.....but you should get a pirate...you may like it ...... then you could justify buying it.... at least try it somewhere......i doubt the patch will make me buy a copy....

if mp ever comes out....highly unlikely ....maybe some more of us will splurge......

having beaten the game into the ground now...... there is no need to play it anymore...which is sad coming from a civ game made by Sid....

especially when civ1/2 game me more delight then i thought was possible from a video game.....

civ3 doesnt' seem like an empire building game to me....it feels like a cheap knockoff of the fabled civ series
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

• actually i felt Civ 3 is more like an empire buidling game as you could avoid war and go for city development instead... in civ 2 i always had multiple wars with the damn AI !!! in civ 3 i have a game right now that is 1600AD and still no war !!!!
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• I think you are being too hard on the game War, I really enjoyed my first game (which I just won). In fact, I'm going to keep going with it because I want to conquer the world.

The game has a lot features that I like. The biggest bonus is the smarter AI. I also like the new combat rules, particularly the fact you don't lose the whole stack if one unit dies. I like the slave worker concept and capturing artillery.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• give it another week or so then see.
                Its just average.

some good new ideas that would work well if only we could get them in civ2 somehow....
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

• I would say its above average. Not as good as civ II but better than CTP I/II.

I LOVE the slave worker concept. Its a dream come true for me to have my civ developed by captives I also Love capturing artillery, that's great.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• As long as it's still challenging, I'll keep playing it. I like MP better, but let's face it, it's kind of hard to argue that Civ 3 is worse than Civ 2 single play. When was the last time you ever played a regular game of Civ 2? I haven't in probably 2 years or so. (OCC doesn't count.)

My goal is to win each way possible at deity. There are plenty of surprises for me still. For example, I told War4 on icq the other night that I finally had a game fully under control (monarchy level). I was first in population and land area. The Americans were 2nd, although not terribly far behind. They were also always 2 or 3 techs ahead of me, despite the fact that I was a scientific civ with all cities fully improved. No matter what I did, I couldn't catch up in techs, and b/c of that the only wonder I got was Oracle (BFD). It was clear that someone would build a spaceship before the game ended, and I wasn't sure whether I could catch up techwise to win that race or, alternatively, whether I would have to attack the Americans. So while I'm still on the fence, the Americans build United Nations. They take a vote and the first time it's a 2-2 tie with 2 abstentions. I'm at peace with everyone and start giving away techs to one of the abstainers and basically doing whatever anyone else asks. A few turns later, one of the ai civs eliminates the abstaining civ I've been so nice to, and a few turns later another vote happens. I lose 3-2. Game over. All my base are theirs.

So I play again last night as the Japanese. Get a not-so-good start, but at least am able to expand equally on both sides of my capital. I am never close to getting any early or mid-game wonder and am always behind in techs, but trade like crazy at all opportunities with all civs. Suck up to the leading civ who occasionally demands my world map and a few gold as tribute. Fought no wars at all. Finally get a wonder tech first and start building SETI, with fission on track to come in well before completion of SETI. Egyptians start building SETI the next turn, and I expect to lose it, but also to be able to switch to United Nations and not lose the shields. I lose SETI by 3 turns 9(surprise, surprise) and switch. Get UN and the first vote is a 2-2-1 tie. I suck up like crazy to the other civs and the next vote I win 4-1. I suppose the way to win diplomatically is to be a boot-licking chump.
                    "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                    Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Bird
                      So I play again last night as the Japanese. Get a not-so-good start, but at least am able to expand equally on both sides of my capital. I am never close to getting any early or mid-game wonder and am always behind in techs, but trade like crazy at all opportunities with all civs. Suck up to the leading civ who occasionally demands my world map and a few gold as tribute. Fought no wars at all.
                      That is exactly how my current game is going (whenever I get back to it), only playing as the French. Everyone else has exactly the same number of techs with me consistently 3-4 behind. It's just that my tech rate is 18-32 while theirs is probably 5-9.

Except for war4 who's a peculiar civer , don't you (generally speaking) think that being behind is a refreshing change from Civ2?? Oh I get it now, if one doesn't win every game then there must be something with the game.

Comment

• I'm still playing first game

Its 2105 AD now

Comment

• ok latest update from my game..

Got my first leader the other night. wonderful surprise, it then took me ages to figure out how to turn it into an army... eventuaslly i just pressed 'B' whilst in a city and that did it.

Then had to figure how to add units to the army, 'L' does that.!!!

Was able to use the Army to clear all of africa of all other civs excpet my ally the indians (the only civ to maintian friendship throught the gaem, must be because their main base is in America)

Had many battles now, cannons are better than catapults but still not fully effective IMHO, Cavalry is excellant offensive unit.

I reaaly enjoying the game now, with my culture expanding rapidly and with my war on the Babylonians and English and Persians going well I am gaining the WONDERS they built and getting a secure foothold in asia.

The Germans an I now share Asia and the germans have all of europe, the Persians control Russia. The Americans control England and all the islands between there and America and Canada too. Russians control North America . Indians control Central and south america.

Its very interesting, I have my main citys jsut building improvements now with just enough citys supplying units to my army as needed.

It is about 1800AD and stil lno clear winner in sight.
                          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• One month later....

Well, one month has passed since Civ3 has been released. How's it holding up (patched patch included)?

In the meantime I'm holding out quite well thanks to EU and a stockpile of Civ3 scenarios
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

• I am definitely having a love/hate relationship with 3.
                              There is some darn good stuff.There is some darn bad stuff.

The ancient era is pretty good.The modern era is sheer monotony.Even worse than late game civ2.Its very similiar to the last half of Red Front.You need to have large armies for serious kick butt action....next thing you know you are pushing 200+ units all over the map.Thank God,the go to is much better.
                              It is like RF alot.A struggle at the beginning.Slowly you gain in strength while fighting for survival.With luck or smallish maps you'll be ok but if not then things die out as you pull even and ahead in all areas.Then the tedious part starts....

The improved diplomacy is good at first but it becomes a pain just contacting every civ every turn.Why didn't they give us an embassy that actually shows something?...this would be a huge time saver.

I still give it a 7>7.5 of 10.Another half point is waitiing for the full editor.
                              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

• I didn't play civ III all weekend. That says something.

The thing I'm finding tedious at the end of the game is moving around all the units. Artillery and workers become a real pain in the arse. The fact that you can't use rail really slows down the blitzkrieg.

In Civ II SP I'd just attack the capitals and then bribe all the other AI cities in each AI civ. Game over in 5 or 10 turns. Then I'd leave one tiny landlocked city on an island somewhere, build the maximum spaceship and see how many points I could get with pop and future techs before the end of the game

Can't do that anymore. Have to wheel armies all over the map

Comment

Working...
                                X