No announcement yet.

Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not having any speed problems with my PIII 500 or whatever it is and I've reached 2020.

Lost the war to the French. Had to sue for peace so I could regroup my armies. I'm playing Chieftain level
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• what size map are you playing.....and your regrouping....
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

• I knew you'd pounce on this War

I think I'm playing on a normal map but its got 3 large continents and my main forces are hard to resupply because they are in German territory on the same continent as the French who are now showing up in force (having taken all the cities I took off the Russians earlier in the game).

I'm going to make peace with everybody and bring my army home. Its badly in need of upgrading and I'm sure I'd lose it if I kept fighting from where it is. There are much more direct routes for attacking the French.

Also I noticed that whilst the war was on I neglected trade and resources, cities unconnected and so forth. I need to consolidate my gains.

The big drawback of razing cities is you leave a wasteland behind your armies which get bigger and bigger as they advance.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• you know it i agree that razing creates a wasteland...the key is to raze some cites and not others..

in civ2 you folled the invasion force with engineers/setlers.... why don't you apply that policy here as well

it cannot be stated enough....civ3 plays just like its predecessors

Comment

• The city defection thing really pisses me off so I haven't been backfilling with my own cities.

I do keep some AI cities but usually only those with wonders or strat resources or good luxuries in their radius. A port or 2 as well. Its great to be able to raze the cities the AI has put in crap locations.

Comment

• still bugs me i cant get the civs to start on the proper palces on the world map

But anyway just had my first city defection occur last night, i was the french and i happened to start in england !! i soon filled all of the british isles up before i had map making, and my culture expanded to include northern France/Germany, the romans built a city in around Belgium area and my culture expanded and soon i had a mainlain europe city.

I expected the Roamnsd to be be pissed off so i defended this well but not till i had built culture improvers in that city to prevent losing it back to the romans.

my presence on the continent though totally pissed of the japanese who were located in italy. after i refused to give them a tech they declared war.

Having only one city avaialble for them to attack made it easy for to defend, i soon had map making and transoprted many swordmen over to protect it and many workers to build roads and fortresses to fight back from. Being based in england i had no access to horses so my current plan is to expand from my europe base and take the romans out to get to the horses they control...

Stil lhaving fun , but the turns are getting long, i think it takes longer the higher you play up the difficulty scale, that maybe why AH hasnt noticed any slow down yet...
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• ras.... it should get longer as the map size increases...not as the difficulty level increases.....

AH....civs on the same island should be erradicated and cities should be kept.....unless you raze and repopulate with your own...

as for other continents.... the ports are good choices..... and i agree with poor ai choices for cities.....more proof that the ai really hasn't gotten any better...city placement is just as important in civ3...

true your cities will grow but they will expand only so much .....

Comment

• Originally posted by War4ever
                  ras.... it should get longer as the map size increases...not as the difficulty level increases.....
                  well i can defiantly tell you it is irrelavent of map size, i always play huge world map and in chieftan level turns are quicker than Warlord level....!!!!
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• I really don't have a problem with city placement by the AI anymore, since they try to cover every square inch anyway. Any special or resource will be in range of a city eventually, so it's not as critical as in CivII.

I have been testing City reverting in my current game. (my last emporer game before Deity) And spaceship destruction too.

I took the French Capital, as my only city in the middle of the continent surrounded by all their culture.

1. If you raze their capital you don't destroy the spaceship.
                    But if you occupy it, bye bye spaceship. (much better than the move the spaceship scenario that happened in II.) I'm sure it mentioned this in the manual, but there are so many errors in the manual that I wanted to verify it.

The city had 21 citizens so it took awhile for resistence to end. During this time I tried different things.

The first time the city reverted (still some resisting) I went back and did another combat to reset the random number generator.
                    The city still reverted which leads me to believe that it's not random but based on other things.
                    There were like 2 content 10 resisters and 9 entertainers.
                    I had about 12 troops in the city.
                    The city had an airport so I flew in a couple of more units.
                    The city DID NOT revert. So far so good.
                    A couple of turns later it reverted again.
                    I went back, did a couple of extra combats to verify my previous test and the city still reverted. So unless it based on random and the percentage was so high that I couldn't stop it, I firmly believe it's NOT RANDOM.

So instead of flying in more troops I tried something else. I changed all the content (5) citizens to entertainers leaving just resisters and entertainers. THE CITY DID NOT REVERT.
                    So this has to be part of the equation.

So the number of garrisoned troops and the number of non-resisters and non-entertainers plays a role.
                    Unfortunately by now i've rushed the temple and cath. and the culture has increased a notch raising the city influence, so the city hasn't reverted yet for further testing.

Now until I get a city to expand I make sure that all citizens are either resisters or entertainers in the larger cities that I take over that can afford to starve until the culture expands the city influence. I don't bother with this on the smaller cities because a larger garrison seems to keep these cities in line.

If anybody else would like to duplicate to verify some of this, it would really be appreciated by a lot of people.

Rich

I usually do the starve and repopulate but since you can't airlift workers (still don't understand the rational behind that one) I've been testing other things.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I'm getting so bored. It's like an MP game with no people!
                      Now you know what it feels like to play with you Deity
                      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

• Deity can't help it his connection is slow

Comment

• The connection between his brain and his hand?
                          I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                          Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

• damm civ3 newbies ....page load time is 21.38 seconds even with cable

oh are we live....... sounds like unresolved issues Drake......

Poor D has a bad rep, but i don't think its all his fault...the connection is the biggest slowdown....even if he takes his time... it is a TBS game after all

Comment

• Something really great happened last night. All the civs were against me so I made peace with them all. A few turns later the French attacked me and 4 civs allied with me against the French! Never saw that in civ II!

Comment

• Originally posted by drake

Now you know what it feels like to play with you Deity
                                he he

Still smarting eh? LOL

You'll get over it...

BTW Even you said that I got more quality for my one hour turn than many other players, despite a slow connection (thanks war )
                                "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                                X