Slow's "one Wonder per civ" game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow's "one Wonder per civ" game

Well, we have 5 civs in the contest, and it looks like a good game so far. We had to go through a few re-starts to avoid host-techs; naturally, the version that had no host-techs was my worst starting position! Life is so unfair (whine, whine, whine)...

Surrounded by tundra, not a hut or resource in sight, I did what any sane person should do - I ran like h*ll! Everyone else had cities b4 I did, and one civ 2 cities. F8 can be very depressing!

I found too many huts growing only weeds, and the rest had "advanced tribes" (a curse on their resource-avoidance abilities).

Anyway, I have set out to explore the unknown world by land and water and see what I can see...

"Wonder, Wonder, in my mind
    How I wonder what I'll find
    Good to wonder which shall be
    Nailed to me eternally"

LOL! I still haven't decided which one I want, never mind which I'll end up with. My guess is, that with 5 players, I will get the 5th most popular one.

It is such an interesting game, not seeing Pyramids, Lighthouse, and HG built from the start. Everyone is biding their time. On the other hand, Slow has a size 5 city of nothing but scientists, and we all "wonder" what he is doing there...
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

I started on plains, but see good land some distance away.

My science was pretty slow, so I added a couple of settlers to city, changed all citizens to science, and got to monarchy quicker.
    Now I have a pretty large city. If I add roads...

The more I think about which Wonder, the worse it gets.
    To be honest, Copernicus' crossed my mind.
    It's an early Wonder that doesn't end, but will probably wait and do another.

Waiting to hear from Maximus, to see if next Sunday is good.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Seems like I also had a bad starting spot.

The first few times, I had rivers and specials, the one we played, grass and plains, with not a special in sight.

But we all seemed to be in the same boat, along those lines.

I thought the game was moving slowly, but that may have been because of some time lag problems.

Haven't given much thought to the wonder to build, but I'm sure it will be a later one, I think. On a big map, lots of space, room to expand, so war doesn't seem likely this early.

To early for such choices, I think.
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

well, sunday seems fine right now for a continue to happen.

well, to add to the whining, i also had good land the SECOND restart, the first was a southern pole position, playable, but undesirable.

i seem to be ahead in the graph, i go from 5th to 1st every other turn, so i'm not sitting high on my horse yet. interesting game too.

this is the first time i have played a MP game, where i didn't have to mute anyone when you guys talk, it's welcomed! hey cave, how do you like playing with us? i think we're pretty kewl

'til next time...
        Where I've been

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)

Comment

Excellent, then we'll try for same time Sunday.

Cavebear and I were talking about the graph afterwards, as was Chris and I.
          If I'm remembering correctly, Maximus is ahead by a fair amount, with the pack behind tightly grouped.

We'll get more accomplished next session, now that the start is behind us.
          Should be interesting.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by General Maximus
            well, sunday seems fine right now for a continue to happen.
            Sunday 6 pm EDT is fine with me.

i seem to be ahead in the graph, i go from 5th to 1st every other turn, so i'm not sitting high on my horse yet. interesting game too.
            The demographics shift wildly with every change of resource allocation early in the game (well, not population or land area). Still, you *are* well in front at the moment.

this is the first time i have played a MP game, where i didn't have to mute anyone when you guys talk, it's welcomed! hey cave, how do you like playing with us? i think we're pretty kewl
            I had to place the chat screen behind my map a few times in the beginning, to stop my numeric keypad moves from suddenly showing up in chat as text, but that happens, so no problem. At least I'm learned not to forget the chat screen is active-but-hidden.

I like playing with you Tuathans. I don't have to worry about saving every turn for later examination, and you all play different styles, but also sort of like I do also. I mean, I know Slow wants to build a lot of cities, and Boann wants to build ships (and I don't know about Chris and Maximus) but it is a game I understand as opposed to exotic trade route or super science strategies or bizarre map-divinations.

If I wasn't an OWL, I'd be a Tuathan...
            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

above and beyond anything else, we have fun
              Where I've been

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)

Comment

Well, it's Thursday p.m.

How's it looking for same time Sunday?

Comment

Fine by me. 6 EST.
                  I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

Sunday at 6 pm EDT works for me.

Comment

You were going to email me, Cavebear?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        You were going to email me, Cavebear?
                        Um, about what? My memory needs a jog. I've eaten too many home-grown organic tomatoes the past couple of days... Have I forgotten something?

Comment

going on a trip tomorrow to wyoming
                          won't be home till at least 6 pm.
                          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear

Um, about what? My memory needs a jog. I've eaten too many home-grown organic tomatoes the past couple of days... Have I forgotten something?
                            Short term memory loss blamed on organic tomatoes.
                            Nice try.
                            You were going to send file.

As far as Boann, that's 6 p.m. Mountain time.
                            What's that going to do to the game for this evening?

Comment

Make the game two hours shorter, as that is 8PM EST.

Comment

Working...
                              X