2001 Players Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Players Tourney

It seems to me that it is time for another tourney to settle some discussions of "Who Is Best".

Toward that end, I propose to organize a 2nd Tourney similar to the one last year. And I have a much better idea of who should be in it and how it should be constructed.

For a start, I will propose a group of likely top players and then let the group decide on additions (since I certainly don't know every best player).

Second, the tourney will alternate between MP and duel games.

Third, the points will be structured to spread scores out a bit more than last time, yet allow some catching up.

Fourth, if someone withdraws this time, I'm not going to suffer over it. You leave, that's your loss.

Fifth, as before, the colors of the trophy will be up to the winner.
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Sounds great

Some likely suggestions:

Kaak (If he's still alive )
    Strategicking
    Sean
    Deity
    Ming
    Robbie Tiger
    Weird God
    Species

Based entirely on having played these people, after all hearsay is a pretty stupid way to cast a vote.

Comment

Here is my initial list of otential players. Granted, it is a list based on ratings. hearsay, experience, and reputation, but it is (I think), a good start.

Other persons are welcome to be nominated to fill any gaps I have missed:

(alphabetically)

ALEXANDERS HORSE
      ARII
      CARNIDE
      DARFLEX
      DARKSTORM
      DEITY
      EYES
      JASONNJSHORE
      JB
      JES
      JORSBURGH
      KAAK
      KOLUMBUS
      KUJA
      MARK E
      MARKUS
      MING
      NAP
      SLOWWHAND
      SMARTFART
      SPARTAN
      SPECIES
      STRATEGICKING
      SUAS333
      THE BURG
      UPINFLAMES
      WAR4EVER
      WEIRD GOD
      ZYLKA

Let me know who should be on this list that I have missed.
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Adding

Robbie Tiger...

Comment

And, of course, anyone of the list has to let me know that they desire to participate...

I assure everyone that it matters nothing to me who wins, just that the tourney was fair and as honest as I can make it .

Comment

Where are RAH,Berzerker,Bird,DaveV,Carlous Rex,Barono,Makeo......?

I am glad you have a nerve to organize another tournament,since i had a wonderful time in last one.
            However...if rules are like in the last one (deity,x1x1 or x2x1) i'll be happy to participate. Vast majority on Apolyton playing under mentioned rules anyway.

I liked your maps. Doy you have some already prepared?
            Keep up the good work.

SF
            My life, my rules

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how was this organized last year? Was it single elimination/double etc. How long did it take? How hard was it to do the scheduling?
              I see the world through bloodshot eyes
              Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Last Year

Originally posted by drake
                Just out of curiosity, how was this organized last year? Was it single elimination/double etc. How long did it take? How hard was it to do the scheduling?
                There were no eliminations; all participants were welcome to continue to compete to the end. There were 4 rounds (2 duels first and 2 MP games last). The entire tourney lasted about 5 months.

All participants were nominated by their fellow players.

The scheduling was sometimes very difficult. My goal was to keep similar-score players competing against each other (like in a Swiss System chess tourney), but available times for the MP games forced some adjustments. You can imagine what it was like trying to get Aussies, Europeans, and North American players together at the same time AND by similar scores!

I made all (or most, I forget) of the maps.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it, and will happily do it again.

There will be some changes this time, as I learned a lot from last year's tourney. I think it will be best to start with MP games, for one thing (perhaps something like MP, duel, MP, duel). The scoring will be adjusted, too. I gave too much to the duels last year, and it became apparent that some players had no chance to catch up, which had a naturally discouraging effect. The MP games will probably be scored 7-5-3-1 and the duels 3-0 this time.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFart
                  Where are RAH,Berzerker,Bird,DaveV,Carlous Rex,Barono,Makeo......?

I am glad you have a nerve to organize another tournament,since i had a wonderful time in last one.
                  However...if rules are like in the last one (deity,x1x1 or x2x1) i'll be happy to participate. Vast majority on Apolyton playing under mentioned rules anyway.

I liked your maps. Doy you have some already prepared?
                  Keep up the good work.

SF
                  I've added your suggestions to my list, shame on me for leaving them off.

Barring some major mutiny among the participants, I expect the MP games will be deity level and 1x1x. Some leeway would be allowed for duels, though.

I have numerous maps filed away, and will make more. If there a lot of participants, there will be some used in more than one game (especially in duels).

Comment

Berz should be in the thing.
                    Boann gets any world explored as fast as anyone I know.
                    I'll play if called, and wait until next if not.
                    Last edited by SlowwHand; June 5, 2001, 14:07.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think I'd rather spend those 30+ hours playing AOK or something else.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Eyes.

If you ever have an Amateurs League, let me know.

You might consider having people rank themselves, maybe breaking it into Deity League/Intermediate League/Amateur League.

Then you could have a three way face off for a "fun" title as well.
                        Of course, making quantitative decisions about people's abilities could be tough when ranging from middle to high ability levels.

But some of us know that we stink!

Good luck...I really enjoyed following along with this last year.

Cavebear was the one who first played an MP game with me...he is a major class act.

You all can thank him for the fact that I even hang around....
                        Sorry, CB. All hate mail is now my fault!
                        Life and death is a grave matter;
                        all things pass quickly away.
                        Each of you must be completely alert;
                        never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Thanks for the offer

Sorry Cavebear I'd like to play but can't make a commitment to hours that would suit European and American players, so alas I'll have to decline your invitation.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSneak
                            Good luck...I really enjoyed following along with this last year.

Cavebear was the one who first played an MP game with me...he is a major class act.

You all can thank him for the fact that I even hang around....
                            Sorry, CB. All hate mail is now my fault!
                            Cavebear is good people, isn't he ?
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I remember my first game, it had cavebear , wonderdog superstar. I subbed in for the mongols in did pretty good. My second game with wonderdog shocked him because i built monster cities really fast. To bad none of the old greats are here to play in the tourny.

The best players right now are

Nappy,
                              arii,
                              mark e,
                              me

Some that fall just short
                              SF -- Can't defend worth a damn
                              Crustation -- weak early game, amazing end game
                              Carnide -- Old dog having trouble learning new tricks

Then there is a level just below that which contains a lot of players. They have one or 2 flaws in thier game that does them, be it expanding or using trade or defence etc.

diety,
                              war4ever,
                              bezerker
                              etc
                              Last edited by markusf; June 5, 2001, 21:54.
                              Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
                              and kill them!

Comment

Working...
                              X