No announcement yet.

The Extremely Important and Very Serious Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about other turn sensitive situations like hut tipping, barb ransom etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
      What about other turn sensitive situations like hut tipping, barb ransom etc..
      ooooopppppppsssssss finbar must be forgetting those.
      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Hang on Aussie dudes (as oposed to other dudes!)

finbar is correct.

The core Aussie players voted on all these key settings, including simul WAR!

The vote was for simul war!
        And not just simul turns and switching to turn order as per finbar's explanation - which I MUCH PREFER.

I think Raz and Hydey may have refined their views since the vote (well, Raz is from Queensland so he doesn't get the vote...)

I'd expect all Aussie games to be setup as per the vote unless discussed otherwise.

Hydey may have been nice to me by making it turn-based in case I hot joined but I really didn't want that since it was unlikely I could play.

And Nappy would have expected simul too, I'm sure. That's why he fell asleep!

I reckon ALL games should be simul till at least 1000BC then switch to turn order at some point, depending on the consensus within the game.
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

well that seems rather limiting to say "all aussies games wil be set up this way"

Does this mean any newcomer must learn simul the hard way??

As i discovered against lowang Simul war is not possible in civ , it wasnt designed that way. IMHO.

any lag severely handicaps the slower mover.

If that vote is binding then it appears that I have truly played my last "aussie" game. I wil lhav eto find another batch of NON-SIMUL palyers ....
          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

and i know i dont get a vote as a queesnlander, but as an ex Western australian my votes would be

Human city Bribe -- No
            Bribe AI -- No (for the same reason as above, if its not ok to bribe humans why discriminate?)
            Unit Bribing -- No
            Alliances -- Yes
            Simul War -- no
            Simul Turns -- No

How come the others didnt vote on last one !!!!!!
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to get involved in your game rules. I just hear it said quite often that if you switch to turn based for war that it eliminates the disadvantage due to connection speed. This statement is true but IMHO it switches it from a connection speed advantage to a color advantage.

In an entirely turnbased game, it would be expected that purple would get the first strike as often as white in a purple/white conflict. In a simul move/turnbased war game, white always gets the first strike. If there is something wrong with my logic please let me know, but it seems to me that this is just as bad as giving the advantage to the guy with the quicker connection.

Anyways, maybe my comments belong in another thread but I saw the discussion so I jumped in.

Comment

Pull your head in Deity before I rip it off and SHlT down your neck.
                Those dodgy rules you mention are for Aussies only games or more precisely for your games as others don't care.
                As this game was a game for other non Aussies to play and I was host and I was requested for it not to be simul and you suggested you might hotjoin soon into the session, can't hotjoin in simul, I as host made it turn based.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                  and i know i dont get a vote as a queesnlander, but as an ex Western australian my votes would be

Human city Bribe -- No
                  Bribe AI -- No (for the same reason as above, if its not ok to bribe humans why discriminate?)
                  Unit Bribing -- No
                  Alliances -- Yes
                  Simul War -- no
                  Simul Turns -- No

How come the others didnt vote on last one !!!!!!
                  OK Raz, I'll add you to the table tonight and update the other votes for Hydey. Raz didn't play for quite a while so he was not around when we voted.
                  I personally never liked simul except for the early game.
                  I was just talking about the players expectations based on prior discussions and votes.
                  Clearly Sneak and Nappy as well as finbar expected a simul game!

Deity Dude's comments are more than welcome IMHO.

We can have a calm and rational discussion and agree on our base settings.
                  *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                    Sorry, I really wasn't trying to get involved in your game rules. I just hear it said quite often that if you switch to turn based for war that it eliminates the disadvantage due to connection speed. This statement is true but IMHO it switches it from a connection speed advantage to a color advantage.

In an entirely turnbased game, it would be expected that purple would get the first strike as often as white in a purple/white conflict. In a simul move/turnbased war game, white always gets the first strike. If there is something wrong with my logic please let me know, but it seems to me that this is just as bad as giving the advantage to the guy with the quicker connection.

Anyways, maybe my comments belong in another thread but I saw the discussion so I jumped in.
                    Turn order STARTS at the point of the war break out; so if Purple attack it then moves to turn order. You don't restart the game you just play each turn in succession, only moving after the prior colour has moved. The honour system. (But we actually had voted for simul war as shown in the table)
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by deity

Clearly Sneak and Nappy as well as finbar expected a simul game!
                      Well they never said so to the host before he set up the game did they.

Deity how about you play in games instead of posting about games you are not involved in.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Hold on, guys...I don't care which rules, style etc. are used.

I just enjoy playing. I don't like the unit bribe, generally...and Civ obviously has some war flaws...but let's be nice, ok?

Hydey was being very gracious in hosting...he even left a spot open for you, Deity...

The Aussie rules seem pretty tolerable...I expressed interest in simul games just to see if it was faster & better.
                        But I usually set aside several hours to play, so no biggie.

You've done just fine, nephew.
                        Life and death is a grave matter;
                        all things pass quickly away.
                        Each of you must be completely alert;
                        never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Originally posted by deity

Turn order STARTS at the point of the war break out; so if Purple attack it then moves to turn order. You don't restart the game you just play each turn in succession, only moving after the prior colour has moved. The honour system. (But we actually had voted for simul war as shown in the table)
                          But who goes first on the initial attack. Let's say at the end of a simul turn my purple crusader is next to your white archer both on flat terrain. Whoever gets first shot is probably gonna win. Who goes first on the next turn. Am I missing something here or what. Or are you saying whoever has the best connection speed will get first shot then it goes to turn order if so that's still a huge advantage to the person with the best connection speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey

Deity how about you play in games instead of posting about games you are not involved in.
                            You have been quite obnoxious with some of your posts lately Hydey - but I quite agree with you on this point. Someone who hardly ever shows up shouldn't be telling us how to play. That's what started the whole argument in the first place! Someone disappeared for yonks, another went overseas, we changed the way we were playing and then when they came back we had a rather unseemly dispute!

That said I'm happy to play whatever setting are the consensus in any particular game I'm prepared to be flexible on simult war for example I just wanna play.

But unit bribing REALLY SH#TS ME
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; May 31, 2001, 20:25.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

But unit bribing REALLY SH#TS ME
                              perhaps stacking is in order....... whats wrong with bribing units ?
                              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

*finbar returns from Brisbane to discover nothing much has changed*
                                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                                X