The Extremely Important and Very Serious Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get to, Nappy?
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Sorry guys....I dozed off
      " First France......then the WORLD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nap Bonaparte
        Sorry guys....I dozed off
        Tee-hee. That's what we figured. One too many Merlots, huh? Sneak was sending you some very loud wake-up calls via ICQ. Last time we'll trust him with an important mission.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

HMMMMMM perhaps we have a DL here, I thought that only MING was silly enough to fall asleep while playing civ.
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Pummeled to Sleep

I guess those barbs just knocked you out, eh?

Well...it was a pretty good game...luckily my pathetic civilization was isolated from the world, so the shame of my poor play was my little secret. I have the hardest time figuring out what to jack up in my cities....trade, shields, food.
            I think I'm building too many units too soon, but with happiness being such a ***** in Deity, I thought I had to have two military units in each city?

I'll practice some more.
            I can play my Tuesday early, your Wednesday night if you're up for it? I'd like to try simul...
            Life and death is a grave matter;
            all things pass quickly away.
            Each of you must be completely alert;
            never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Simul sh*ts on turn-based for speed of play, Sneak. I suspect Nappy's problem wasn't so much the vat of Merlot as turn-based boredom. Well, okay, it was a bit of both. Simul does have its problems in wartime but switching to turn-based within the game - the combatants follow colour turn order, everyone else plays normally - seems to solve the problems.

Raz's complaint that simul interferes with the diplomacy side of the game is also easily fixed. A simul game can't proceed until everyone hits Enter. If you want to negotiate with someone, have your turn, do your negotiations, then hit Enter.

I can't imagine why yesterday's game was turn-based.

Comment

So you're saying that if you are white and I am purple, you get to kick me in the nuts first?!? That seems a bit odd...but I guess its the same reasoning that rules the rest of the games....

Yes...one of the big reasons I avoid Civ MP is because of the god awful time it takes. Let me just be frank: me sitting in front of this box for hours and hours does not necessarily endear me to the lady.

Anything that will speed up the process is good for my health.
                Life and death is a grave matter;
                all things pass quickly away.
                Each of you must be completely alert;
                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

I take finbar will host all game from now on, ok now I know never to host any games with finbar. No problem at least I will not sook about weather it is simul or not

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
                    I take finbar will host all game from now on, ok now I know never to host any games with finbar. No problem at least I will not sook about weather it is simul or not
                    You have a problem hosting simul games? I would happily do so if I could. They simply move more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSneak
                      So you're saying that if you are white and I am purple, you get to kick me in the nuts first?!? That seems a bit odd...but I guess its the same reasoning that rules the rest of the games....
                      Well, the problem with simul war seems to be that players with quicker connections - or even the host, regardless - have an advantage. They can move units more quickly. In fact, someone reported an opposite extreme - players were waiting till their opponent moved, then countering. Games were stalling while the opponents tried to outwait each other.

Fighting in colour turn order simply means that you revert - within the game, by agreement, and honouring the agreement - to the way war is fought in normal MP games. You pummel each other in turn. Seems the most logical solution to me.

Yes...one of the big reasons I avoid Civ MP is because of the god awful time it takes. Let me just be frank: me sitting in front of this box for hours and hours does not necessarily endear me to the lady.

Anything that will speed up the process is good for my health.
                      Yes. Well, it has been argued in the past that Civ isn't a game of speed chess, that it's a tactical exploration and all that. That's all true. On the other hand, anything that keeps things moving has to be a good thing. And most of the simul problems are fixable. War, as mentioned above; and diplomacy, by simply dealing with it before you hit the Enter key. Small prices to pay. methinks.

Comment

I have no problem hosting in simul finbar, just have to check a box for F**k sake. When people request that it be turn based , I think tomy self , ok lets play turn based, I prefer it. If you had of said before I started that you would only play in simul, then things may have gone to a vote.

It seems you prefer to sook later rather than ask first.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
                          I have no problem hosting in simul finbar, just have to check a box for F**k sake. When people request that it be turn based , I think tomy self , ok lets play turn based, I prefer it. If you had of said before I started that you would only play in simul, then things may have gone to a vote.

It seems you prefer to sook later rather than ask first.
                          1. We haven't started a turn-based game in eons.
                          2. On that basis I assumed it would be simul.
                          3. No one circulated the fact that they preferred turn-based.
                          4. There was no discussion about the style of the game.
                          5. You didn't tell anyone you preferred simul.
                          6. I played because I have never said I would only play in simul.
                          7. Get your frigging facts straight.

Comment

Well I still am not convinved that simul is better nor faster, . Though I hav eonly palyed a few games..

From the few game si palyed, i found i was still waiting the usual time for others to finish what they were doing. i would move my pieces and still hav eto wait.. so wheres the benifit,
                            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Finbar = sooky sooky la la

1. How long is an eon ?

2. Never assume anything , the four worlds form again and yet again

3. Raz has posted many times that he dislikes simul, perhaps he is a no-one

4. No discussion , I was just told to hurry up and start

5. I do not prefer simul, that would explain why I never told anyone I did

6. Yes you did play , I never said you did not

7. I always try to keep frigging out of any arguments I have

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

Fighting in colour turn order simply means that you revert - within the game, by agreement, and honouring the agreement - to the way war is fought in normal MP games. You pummel each other in turn. Seems the most logical solution to me.

Please tell me if I am wrong here, but, in a game that was entirely turnbased it would be expected that purple would get the 1st strike as often as white. Under this scenario white always gets the first strike. That to me seems like a pretty big advantage or am I misunderstanding somethng about how you do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X