Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always build on the artic. And what's wrong with producing 3 wheat? Remember, you hosted most of this game. And did you load it as .sav which would be loaded as 1x1x or did you load it as .net which would be loaded ast 2x2x?
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Eyes Of Night (edited September 28, 2000).]</font>

Comment

Eyes of Night - will you explain what you are talking about by continent numbers and knowing if you are on an island very early on without having to explore?

Comment

Holy crap you guys are vicious...

------------------
        No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
        No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

This thread shows the 'way of the Apolyton brat' alright
          And it's not AH!

And, EoN, please answer Berzerker's question, I have no idea about this...??

Also, I still don't know how to use that 'cheat' of finding nearest city?? Don't tell me either. The only 'cheat' that seems to be universally agreed on as an OK thing is incremental rush buying. All else is suss IMHO. I think any feature that allows you to acquire 'free' information about your enemies is really not on. Do the 'expansionists' agree?

------------------
          *THE DEITY*

Comment

iadkins... DON'T READ THIS

Using unit location to find enemy cities is not a cheat. It's a feature that has been built into the game and is part of the city screen. It's no more a cheat than looking at the top five cities or demographics.

For all those that want to know about this feature...
            Go to the home city screen for a unit that is exploring. (This doesn't work for non units since they don't have a home city) On the left side of the city screen, it shows the units that the city is supporting.
            Click on the unit that is exploring. It will give you the coordinates of the unit, and tell you what city it is closest to. If the city mentioned isn't one of yours, just count how close the unit is to your nearest city. Now you know roughly (if you do it every turn) just how far a city is away from unit. If you have two units moving in the same direction, you can use triangulation to pinpoint where the city is.

Again, unit location is a legitimate feature... it was designed into the game so you could find units that are attached to any specific city in case you are having support problems. Would somebody please explain why this is anymore a cheat than looking at the top 5 city screen, demographic screen, or wonders screen.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

When you click on a terrain square you see three numbers. Two are the square's location, the third the continent number.

Say you click a terrain square that is not black and the continent number is one. Then you click an ocean square next to it, suppose the number is three. Go on to click all the black squares nearby. If the black land squares (number is one) is surrounded by black squares with continent number three, you're on an island. Not that I would use this in any game, though...

Eyes of Night, when will we continue our duel? It's a fun game (especially the sophisticated chat ) and it can go either way!

Another question for you, I'm curious. Why do you seldom let other players host, especially with such a bad connection? When we played you were disconnected so much (IIRC because "your parents called" and due to "a big thunder storm") that I offered to host. You refused (why?) and the disconnections continued. Very annoying, since it interupts the game so much.

Another Apolyton brat, namely

Carolus

Comment

One more time...
                If you are going to accuse somebody of cheating in these forums, please provide the proof or a link to the proof. Otherwise, it's just slander. If you can't prove it, don't accuse anybody of it here on these forums.

If you think you are being cheated... just save every turn, and go back and look AFTER the game is over. If cheating is occuring, you should be able to spot it, and be able to prove it to others.

Now that the official "line" has been posted again.

I hate it when there are a lot of disconnects.
                If it continues, you should just change hosts. It doesn't really matter who hosts... The person with the best connection should host.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ming, I wasn't accusing Eyes of Night in any way! I don't judge players until I've played with them, and AFAIK there is no funny stuff going on in that game.

But a lot of disconnections is very annoying! Whenever that happens with other players, we always change host. It doesn't matter who hosts when the game is going and nobody ever rejects to changing. But EoN refused and our connection problems persisted. I simply ask him why he doesn't want others to host, since it's no big deal.

No insinuations!

Carolus

Comment

AH... just cheat and see how well he does. Just load up the map on another PC and see if his few units head directly for your capital. You'll also be able to see how many/what types of units he starts with.

You wouldnt mind all this would you Eyes?? Seeing how everyone else (myself included) sucks so bad.

This is what I did when I discovered he gave himself extra settlers at the start.

But what gets me about Eyes is how he displays himself to others.

'EyesOfNigh 28/09/00 11:36 AM I had 51 cities and 74 units to your 6 cities and 9 units. God damn you suck. LOL'

why would you even say that? can't you understand how that might make someone feel?? i dunno know... maybe something for you to think about.

Comment

CR... I wasn't implying you did. But AH did. My message is the standard Apolyton comment on the subject.

MWHC... isn't peaking at the map during a game cheating too
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

of course, duh. but how else can one see if someone is cheating. we're not all civ gods like eyes. it was enough to get him to admit he added units.
                        <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by My Wife Hates CIV (edited September 28, 2000).]</font>

Comment

2* 2* king small map is a completely diferent game. Everything is different: what should be your first tech, were should be your 1st city, what should you produce 1st. It takes a lot of practice with those settings to be able to challenge eyes or kaak since they practice 10* a week on them.
                          With player that have simillar abilities, the game is decided by the starting location (corner of the land mass vs middle of the land mass or ressources available near the starting location)or the result of the first 3 hutts. Otherwise who ever goes for horseriding, tips most hutts, get most tribes and crank out most settlers.
                          Advantages to being the host: starting techs, often better starting location. You can also move your units faster and give the opposition little time to react (he might not even be able to see the unit if you are moving very fast and he is not closely looking). Perfect example: explorer has 6 moves regarless of terrain. You can move them very quickly before the opponent has time to build a unit to protect his city and take undefended cities. Of course you want to host!!

Comment

You have to be kidding...
                            You mean people actually play games where the host gets to keep any sciences they get??????
                            Now that's fair
                            I wouldn't play unless I was the host under those circumstances.

When we play, we keep resetting until the host didn't get any sciences... that's the only FAIR way to do it!
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yes, I know that but, uh..., I don't follow the explorer example.

If the city is undefended when someone else is moving there's nothing the non-host can do about it. The city will fall no matter what (if he sees the unit or not).

Or do you mean that non-host can miss when explorer is nearby and can reach you next turn so he doesn't build a unit? That is equally true with single move, although less likely to happen.

Ignoring my confusion above, those are pathetic reasons to claim you're the better player. What's lag and other host advantages got to do with skill? True, in a competition everything counts but unfair external conditions are often tried to be evenly distributed in the real world of sports. Teams/players switch sides etc.

As in most sports, different players/athletes/teams have different skills. Some tennis players are better than others on grass, but get wipped by the same player they crushed in Wimbledon when they play in Paris (except for Björn Borg, of course! ). Nothing strange about that.

But I don't respect anyone, no matter what we're talking about, that claims to be the best and then refuses to play certain settings or against certain players or whatever.

That's not a man true to himself.

End of sermon.

Carolus

Comment

"This is what I did when I discovered he gave himself extra settlers at the start."

Really MWHC? I don't seem to remember this. I don't ever remember cheating you, and I certainly don't ever remember admitting to cheating you. If I remember right you played me 1 duel and got your ass kicked much like AH with the same reaction.

Carolus, the reason was because if I got disconnected with you hosting I would have to restart my comptuer. Normally I would just hit ctrl+alt+del to get out of the game but both my alt buttons were broken. They're fixed now though. And who the hell do you think hosts every ****ing time when I play with kaak? He does and I've won the past 6 times. You know the hut trick only works when you're not the host right? So you should be wanting me to host rather than me not hosting, unless of course you trust me so much. hehehee By the way, I do restart when I get tech and settlers. That's the only way the players on gameleague will play. Maybe you people should leave your inner circle and play other places for once. You're very ignorant.

Comment

Working...
                                X