Host Advantage - Free Techs - A Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host Advantage - Free Techs - A Poll

As we all know, the Host in an MP games often gets Free Techs at the beginning of the game, and no one else does.

When our normal group plays, we just keep restarting the game until the host doesn't get any. Sometimes, the Host gets so many techs, the host can be in Monarchy by 3800BC.

When playing with some people who don't normally play in our group, they didn't seem to understand the concept that we would keep restarting until we got a "clean" start.

What do other people do in this situation?
    Do they just play, giving the host a big advantage? Does the host even bother telling people he got sciences? Or do you do what we do, restart until it is clean?

Just wondering

Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Restart until clean. There has been speculation that there is a host advantage anyway--when he doesn't get techs, he likely has a good starting position. But it is better to eliminate an unfairness you know to be real than to allow it because of a conjectural unfairness in another area.

------------------
    Curumbor Elendil
    jason.sorens@yale.edu
    ICQ 56126989
    Curumbor Elendil
    http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35/
    ICQ 56126989

Comment

You raise a valid point that has indeed been discussed before. Let's see, if the host gets a bad starting position, the host gets free techs, and many of us start again. If the host gets a good starting position, no techs, and then we begin. Now, I sometimes question whether the AI understands what a good starting position is when it handicaps by giving free techs

But you are right... the evil we know, vs a guess. Starting with free techs is by far worse...
      Keep on Civin'

Comment

in the hands of a good player even 1 extra tech can be decisive.This game tends to snowball for 1 or 2 civs so the game can become very lopsided quickly.

After about 100 restarts one time,Bird and I let Rah have a "handicap" of Bronze Working.That was a bad plan.Monarchy by 3300bc and The Gardens at 2800bc(I think) and the game was looking bad for us.Another wonder followed at 2000BC(just when I finally got Monarchy).The snowball was rolling early for Rah in that game.Just 1 tech to start and I'm sure if we continued Rah would have had first shot at whatever he wanted.

This would have been a perfect situation for Bird and I to "team" up but it was a no co-operation game so we were %^&^ed.

must restart or I doubt the game will ever be continued.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yeah... I played a duel with Empress once. I was the host and had three techs. I told her I would restart, and she said no, go ahead.
          (maybe she had a good starting position )

I had monarchy by 3700 and I was just cruising. It didn't seem fair...

Since the sciences you start with don't count against your beaker number for future sciences, it is a handicap that just keeps giving.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Doesnt increase the number of beakers for the next tech?? Amazing.

Comment

One would hope that any host knows the importance of free host techs and would tell the other players when they were received. I think that is the only fair thing to do. If you don't know the host, make it clear before the game starts what is expected of him or her if free techs are given and just trust that they do the honest thing and tell the other players when it happens.

------------------
              Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
              "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Sometimes its hard to get down to zero techs.
                I have proposed everal times to the host to cut down research for 5 turns. That will even things out a litle bit. In a for fun game its acceptable.

Comment

That sounds like a great solution Carnide. It avoids the dreaded mp restart.

------------------
                  'The absent are always wrong.'

Free the D**d Threads!!
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If somebody gets many techs, that wouldn't be enough to even things out. Again, they don't count against future beakers... an awesome advantage that a few turns of reduced science won't make up for.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

I used to not care about host tech advantage unless it was more than two techs. However, I have had a change of opinion after playing a duel with someone *cough*Ming*cough* who became so very far ahead after two little host techs. In fact, he was so far ahead of me in units and power that I ended up having to resign.
                      Apolyton Empress
                      "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

The alternative - host starting solo, getting a no tech start, saving the game, reloading and getting the other players in - is dodgy too. The client players, joining and picking up (effectively) AI civs, all get tech starts. Or they did the only time I tried the manoeuvre.

------------------
                        finbar
                        Mono Rules!
                        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

you have to restart until its clean.... give me some free tech, and i guarrantee it will come back to haunt you....

Thats why seven player games suck, someone always gets tons of tech. Four players max is even tricky sometimes.

What we need is someone to make a map for four players, distributed it to everyone, and let those people play it. then someone else makes a map...... but of course its hard enough just to play without putting someone in charge of making map LOL
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

A biT off topic (well? don't look at me like that), I have often wondered if players really have a tech when they say they do, sometimes I think they just don't like their starting position

Comment

AH - Lol, I hate to admit it, but playing with a new host that always crosses my mind - especially as I watch 2 or 3 decent starting positions taken away by host techs.

restart till clean is the best - goofy designers...

Comment

Working...
                              X