PBEM: Crustacian's equal map game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM: Crustacian's equal map game...

An old game, started about three years ago, is coming to its end and I fear, alas, with a very bitter end for me... But more about that once the game is actually finished...

The original thread (see link below) was started in the Civ 2 MP forum. I don't remember whether it was because we played the first turns on-line or because this forum didn't exist at the time.

Crustacian has created the map containing four identical continents. The original rules (not strictly enforced) and players can be found in the link below:

Of the four original players, three are still in the game. DaveV as the fearful Egyptians, Kengel as the mysterious Japanese and I as the humble Sioux. Crustacian, who played the mighty Vikings, left the game (and Apolyton?) without any notice. A number of players have since shown the Vikings the path to glory, and they are now ruled by La Fayette the wise.

If there is interest from the other players in the game, then maybe we can discuss the game here when we've finished it.

Carolus

Carolus, great idea!
    As far as I know, we started our game in a time when PBEM was not known to many, so this forum also did not yet exist...

This game is indeed going into its most interesting periode, and I agree that the point of decision will be soon- for whom ever

Comment

Great Idea indeed! Though I knew of the existence of this game, I did not know the history behind it, a interesting read, and one I look forward to being updated as to where the world is at now, late in the game.

Hopefully someone will similarly dig up the thread relating to the other long running pbem game (which coincidentaly we are also all playing in along with 4 other members of Apolyton, though in some cases, infrequent members) and post it as well, perhaps we can get some discussion going amongst the players. Though I have had individual discussions about the game with almost all of you at one time or another, a group discussion could be quite interesting
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

La Fayette 'the wise' (since Carolus told you so ) has the great pleasure to inform you all that the Viking Space Ship is now (1570AD) on it's way to AC.

The Egyptian, Japanese and Sioux leaders are expected to be angry and all out war is forecasted by the Viking Headquarters here in Livercrusty.
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

The course of events does indeed unfold as I suspected in my post above...

It seems that the Sioux will learn the drawback of being the last civ (colour-wise) the hard, and very bitter, way...

However, more on that later.

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Hopefully someone will similarly dig up the thread relating to the other long running pbem game (which coincidentaly we are also all playing in along with 4 other members of Apolyton, though in some cases, infrequent members) and post it as well, perhaps we can get some discussion going amongst the players.
            Someone's dug up the thread.

Carolus

Comment

Interesting, what limited information I had on this game indicated it was a two horse race...and the Vikings wern't one of the horses mentioned!

Indeed this should be an interesting finish !!

These four equal continents......how far away from each other are they? (In other words, is the Viking capital accessable to the other 3 civs or is La Fayette already chalking up his victory?)

Alternatively, how close are the other three civs to launching a faster ship (though we don't know how fast La Fayette's is)? I realize the other three of you don't want to reveal anything crucial to your plans, but can you give us a hint ?

Enquiring minds want to know!
              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

A faster ship would be difficult

but the Egyptians (daveV) are VERY strong.
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

... but probably not strong enough to take two capitals, if I read between the lines correctly . Am I going to be put in the position of spoiler/kingmaker? For the benefit of the non-players, I'll try to post some screenshots tomorrow, after I play my turn.

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette
                    The Egyptian, Japanese and Sioux leaders are expected to be angry and all out war is forecasted by the Viking Headquarters here in Livercrusty.
                    Originally posted by La Fayette
                    but the Egyptians (daveV) are VERY strong.
                    Originally posted by DaveV
                    ... but probably not strong enough to take two capitals, if I read between the lines correctly . Am I going to be put in the position of spoiler/kingmaker? For the benefit of the non-players, I'll try to post some screenshots tomorrow, after I play my turn.
                    It seems the question is not so much if the Egyptians are strong enough to tackle the Vikings alone, but whether the Egyptians, Sioux and Japanese are strong enough to take down the Viking ship Or for that matter, whether the three can work together in a concerted effort to bring it down.

Personally I would like to see it happen (no offense La Fayette) with a supreme battle with all four nations and then see which of the 4 has enough resources left to build another ship.

On a side note, does anyone else see a problem with a spaceship being brought down from space because the capital city of the empire that launched it is taken by enemies?

Comment

Geeeee....
                      That was a big surprize!
                      I always thought that Dave would be the running horse...

(LOL... and I even supported the vikings with traderoutes to my big cities)

Anyway, I take my hat off to the great viking leader!
                      Since I am very unhappy about the option to get back a spaceship by military force after milleniums of peace, I will not even try it, and ensure the mighty viking astronauts my best wishes for a successful landing (LOL... wouldn't have said that for the treacherous egypts )

If I am right, our year counter is going in ten years steps, so the viking ship should be in AC the next or overnext turn?

Though the Japanese are far back in science in past, they are ready to rush-explorer the knowledge in approximately 4-5 turns (presently with science rate of 4 techs per turn). With our economic power, we should be able to start a space ship in another 2 turns, but then I believe we will meet our viking friends already there...

Oh well, Michel, excellente job, congrats

Comment

Arrgh. After a survey of Egyptian resources, we are sorry to conclude there is no way we can stop two spaceships (maybe not even one!). Here is our stance:

To the Japanese leader: even if you have no wish to win the game, we at least ask that you not actively contribute to the Vikings' win.

To the Sioux: as you noted, your ship cannot beat the Vikings'. If you launch, we will take this as yet another vote for a Viking victory, and launch our fleet against your homeland. If you are willing to work together against the vile Vikings, we offer our strength in arms to that end.

To the Vikings: have at you, sirrah!
                        Attached Files

Comment

The Viking spaceship:
                          Attached Files

Comment

The minimap (revealed by Apollo):
                            Attached Files

Comment

At the start of my turn:
                              Attached Files

Comment