• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful screenshots!

(I'll be back on saturday)
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Alternatively, how close are the other three civs to launching a faster ship (though we don't know how fast La Fayette's is)? I realize the other three of you don't want to reveal anything crucial to your plans, but can you give us a hint ?

Enquiring minds want to know!
      Hm, I guess I can reveal the bitter truth (with a few reservations)...

If nothing unexpected has happened during the others' turns, then I will launch a 33-8-8-1-1-1 (fusion-powered) ship the same turn as La Fayette (I have yet to play this turn). Because it has been quite some time since the last time I built the fastest ship, I asked about the optimal configuration in the thread below:

Hence I've built the SS with 33 structurals, which I think will take 5.7 years. That's why I'm a little bit confused to see 34 structurals in the Viking ship...

Anyway, suppose my ship also takes 5.7 years. We will both arrive the same year, but La Fayette will win since he (due to his civ's colour) moves before I do. This is what I hinted at in the posts above (which DaveV correctly read between the lines)...

I have established embassies with all civs and have been able to monitor each civ's progress... I was always one tech ahead of the Vikings (regarding the space race), but I didn't want to build Apollo too soon, revealing the map. This was Big Mistake number one...

Because when I actually decided to build it, La Fayette had already started building it (which I didn't know, but was soon to find out ), resulting in a 600 shield temple when my turn came... I was completely shocked (and mad as hell), realising that he was now going to win...

Big Mistake number two was that I was so confident that I was going to build the ship first, that I didn't plan for anything else... Some turns before I started building the ship I didn't have enough cities (I wanted to build and launch it in a single turn, requiring 52 cities); the same was true for La Fayette, I think. When I pinned down the remaining cities I made sure they had a defender each... I don't think La Fayette did this, so (in hindsight) if I'd had a couple of explorers in my most western island city, I could have reached his mainland and entered a couple of the cities building SS parts... That would have been so sweet!!!

Anyway...

Carolus
      Last edited by Carolus Rex; February 13, 2004, 06:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

I don't think La Fayette did this, so (in hindsight) if I'd had a couple of explorers in my most western island city, I could have reached his mainland and entered a couple of the cities building SS parts... That would have been so sweet!!!
        I could have reached those cities with freights, but they can never conquer a city, can they? I sure hope they can't or else the taste in my mouth will be so much fouler...

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by kengel

If I am right, our year counter is going in ten years steps, so the viking ship should be in AC the next or overnext turn?
          After a SS launch each turn will take a year. A launch in 1570 AD will result in a 1575 AD landing, with 5 turns left to play for the civs moving before the launching civ. Lots of time for aggressive neighbours to intervene?

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette

Beautiful screenshots!
            Especially the second one, eh?

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by kengel

Though the Japanese are far back in science in past, they are ready to rush-explorer the knowledge in approximately 4-5 turns (presently with science rate of 4 techs per turn).
              Four techs per turn?!

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV

To the Sioux: as you noted, your ship cannot beat the Vikings'. If you launch, we will take this as yet another vote for a Viking victory, and launch our fleet against your homeland. If you are willing to work together against the vile Vikings, we offer our strength in arms to that end.
                The Sioux Fools' Council (before recent events known as the Sioux High Council of Wise Chiefs) will meet and ponder the Egyptians' proposal. We will report our answer here.

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

I'm a little bit confused to see 34 structurals in the Viking ship...

Carolus
                  I knew that perhaps you would enjoy destroying some SS parts. One more structural doesn't mean a slower ship, but can be helpful if other structurals are missing.
                  Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

We have launched our space ship; it will arrive in the same year as the Viking one...

The Egyptians are welcome to ravage our continent.

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                    X