Is This Considered Cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Considered Cheating?

It sometimes happens that while I'm busy building a wonder an AI civ builds it and I have no other wonders left to build...in these cases I usually keep building the already built wonder in order not to lose the hundreds of shields (and I ignore the warning messages or turn them off), and when a new wonder becomes available I switch to that new wonder to build it very quickly.
    Would you see this as cheating?

Dr.Oogkloot

------------------
    "Let's play Good Crop, Bad Crop", said the one potato to the other, and so it was done. That year the harvest was good and the Kingdom of Oogklootia prospered. The next year however ninety percent of the population died in a famine.
    But the farmer still wouldn't talk.

Wos-up Doc?? Ha ha?!?!!? Sorry, Nah, i wouldn't consider it cheating!!! I mean it's no different to starting building Marco Polos embassy cause it's the only one available and switching to Copernicus' Observatory, when it becomes available!!!

Plus, the game seams to have been written to allow this, as if you switch production Groups, you lose 50% of your shields, and therefore they could easily have written it to include wonders!!!

Problem solved, you're not going to Azkaban after all!!!!

* A prize to the 1st person who can tell me where Azkaban is from? *
    "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
    ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

I'll see if i can beat jpk here and say book 3 of the J.K. Rowlings series

So, do I get a Hippogryph ride? Come to think of it, I really could use one of those clocks Hermione had

------------------
      April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Very good, Ha ha, notification of your prize is on the way in the Normal way!!!!
        "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
        ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

I don't think that is cheating. If the designers didn't want it to happen they would have changed it. But since it is still here, use it!

------------------
          What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

Comment

I don't think its a cheat.There is no guarantee you will get another wonder.At least not in MP.You could have a city "stuck" for a long time.

Its kinda what Capitolization is for.Or what the benefit is/can be.
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Great idea I normally loss my coins and pick something I want the next turn. But I do not think it is cheating.

------------------
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Not cheating IMHO, but as Smash says it's not always a desirable position to be in.

Carolus

Comment

well if it is cheating, then the enire gameleague should be charged.

Comment

No, not cheating. If it is cheating, I've been a bad boy from day one.

------------------
                    Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
                    "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Oldman on 08-17-2000 08:34 AM
                      Very good, Ha ha, notification of your prize is on the way in the Normal way!!!!

So how long does it take for an owl to fly from the UK to the US? I slept with my window open last night and didn't see one
                      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

OK it's obvious people don't see it as a cheat...that's what I expected, but I still think it's a little bit in the gray area because it seems to me it wasn't intended. But I'll continue doing it, then.

Comment

I've done the same thing, both with wonders, and with buildings (on the odd occasion that i had built all the available structures and had a tech like construction (aquaduct/colosseum) coming in shortly.

Personally, my thought would be if they really didn't want this as an option, they would force you to change like with obsolete units, rather than just giving you a warning.
                          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

I do that all the time...

And building the same wonder on three cities so that when new wonders come availiable, i can switch to them.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

And what about this:
                              Irrigation or farmland shows up on squares where enemy civs have built (yet undiscovered) cities. That way you can easily spot newly built cities...
                              Another way to find cities, in unexplored land, is to go into "view pieces" mode (right-click) and then left-click on a square. When there's no city in the square, the map will center on it; when there is a city on that square the map will not center on this square. This can be pretty handy at times. Is this cheating?

If there's one thing I hate it's conquering the whole world and then finding out there's one tiny city left... But I don't know where that damned city is! Using the above methods makes it a little easier finding it.
                              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                              X