No announcement yet.

Harry Turtledove's World War novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say that the 'Harry Turtledove' books might make good CIV senarios, but they are not well written - Yuk!

A really good Alternative History novel is Bruce Sterling and Williams Gibson's THE DIFFERENCE ENGINE.
    tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

a relatively informative site I have been looking at lately is www.strategypage.com. There are some good articles on a wide range of topics including alt history.

Obviously the site itself is rather pro American... but if one can read through the bias then it does make for some enlightening reading...

Perhaps some of the pieces can challenge the more creative amongst us?
      "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
      "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Originally posted by Th0mas
        A really good Alternative History novel is Bruce Sterling and Williams Gibson's THE DIFFERENCE ENGINE.
        Wow! I didn't think that anybody had ever finished that book! (I gave up on it after 100 turgid pages).
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Sory Case - I too loved The Difference Engine the prose were not turgid, they were Victorian (an easy mistake to make) and, for me, added to the atmosphere of the read.

How about ?Harry Harrison?'s "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hoorah!" another one from my favourites shelf...

SG[1]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

,,, Oh and unless I am getting my alt history books confused it (The Difference Engine) also served to bring Ada, Countess Lovelace to life at a time when I was grappling with the programming language named in her memory ...

SG[1]
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
            X