Harry Turtledove's World War novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Turtledove's World War novels

Has anyone out there read any of Turtledove's WorldWar series and is it possible to bring the Race(lizard-like aliens with advanced,sort of like current and future technologies against WW2 tech for us humans) into a Civ scenario?
    SECURUS JUDICAT ORBIS TERRARUM

Yes and Yes. IMO the World War books would make a fantastic scenario.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Hmm ... there is a scenario included with Civ II MPG/Gold where aliens attack Earth and you have to defeat them (or play as the aliens) with what's left of humanity. That's probably as close as one will ever get to having a Turtledove book converted into a Civ II scenario. (I only wish they had built the alien scenario on a standard-sized world map, instead of a "medium-size Earth map.")

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

not true! scotf did a scenario on the great war novels!

Comment

World War Novels* = Aliens invade Earth in WW2

Great War Novels = The South wins the US Civil war

*Note: I'm being very generous describing these books as novels
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Yes,i've read the Great War trilogy and the How Few Remain prequel and i'm now moving on to the American Empire trilogy.Why do you say you are being generous calling them novels?

Comment

What is so bad about the World War series?

I understand your complaints about the great war... Turtledove does sometimes overplay things and ham it up- acting like some 60's war movie person... "He frowned at his son... his son did not know true war. For if he did- he would hate it." Seems to be a reaccuring theme in ALL his works It gets tiring after a while
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

actually i think case was only saying that the world war novels are sub standard. note the ommision of the asterik next to the great war book

Comment

Yes,I must admit by the time you get around to the 2nd of the Colonization books,so therefore it's really the 6th in WW series,you sort of can see where things are going.I think it has more to do with being comfortable with the characters than sub-standard writing,but maybe that's just my bias,I got REALLY sucked into the series and i'm fairly easy pleased.I prefer reading history and current affairs than fiction so....

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                    actually i think case was only saying that the world war novels are sub standard. note the ommision of the asterik next to the great war book
                    Yep. I read the 4 original 'World War' books when they came out, and found them to be fun but dumb.

I gave them all away to charity last month.

Comment

I started reading Great War series but found suspension of disbelief too difficult.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Blasphemy! The World War novels by Turtledove ROCK in a fun, escapist sort of way! I can't wait for the Colonization book where we invade the Lizards' home world and colonize it!

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

In a general sort of comment, I have always enjoyed the alternate history scenarios. There have been a few novels I have read that would make great scen. Nazi's defeat the d-day landings... Japanese invade Australia.... the american civil war fought with circa ww1/ww2 technology... Some of these have already been made available by designers, but some more would be great....
                          "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                          "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Yes, poison gas in the Civil War would have been interesting. And not just because there would have been more carnage among civilians. World War I technology and "industrialized warfare" would have meant completely different tactics for both sides.

But I think the North would have won anyway.
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I've been trying to get our library to get some more Alt History novels in.They have some What ifs,books that sort of look at famous battles in history and tweak events to get a different out-come.There was one that really stood out,it looked at Hannibal,Battle of Trafalgar,
                              a few Civil War events,quite a few WW2 events,i'll try and find it again if anyone wants its name,maybe someone out there knows what it is or can recommend anything like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X