No announcement yet.

Why Civ2 & Not SMAC, Civ3 or EU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

civ1/2 are the only games i have ever felt i got my monies worth ....
    Hey don't leave Smac out All kidding aside, I still prefer civ 2 for MP action. I'll hold off on Civ 3: PTW to see how this aspect of the game pans out.

Dave
    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks.
      I think I will reinstall Civ II before I buy Civ III
      "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
      "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
      - Pekka

Comment

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by MattyBoy
          Thanks for the feedback folks.
          I think I will reinstall Civ II before I buy Civ III
          Of course, you're on the Civ2 forum. Everyone will pull for "their" product. Ask the same question on the Civ3 forum, and you might leave convinced to buy Civ3.

It all depends on attitude and expectations. I have both games and i find i'm in a win-win situation. I enjoy Civ2 for all the scenarios you can play/build with it, and it's scripted events, but i also like Civ3 for it's different approach to the game. It's fun to have a change of pace now and then.

I don't think you should avoid Civ3, nor should you dump Civ2 - they're sufficiently different to keep them both, IMHO.

JH
          There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

I play civII and civIII. I think civII is a better game, but there are some nice features in civIII. Pardon my ignorance, but what game is EU?

Comment

Universal Yurop, or perhaps better known as Europa Universalis. A sequel, Europa Universalis II, is also available.

Paradox Interactive is a world leading PC games publisher known for games such as Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Good point, JH.
                I did intentionally post this on Civ2 rather than Civ3, where they might not see the forest for the trees.
                - Pekka

Comment

If you're really unsure, the best thing to do, might be to just wait a bit, and see if you can get a Civ3 on eBay for less expensive.

JH
                  There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

I play Civ2 MP still to get an multiplayer civilization fix. SMAC MP is fine, but it isn't Civilization. EU would be nice, but that is pretty hard to set up, not to mention my modem sucks.
                    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I play EU2. I design for Civ2. Meh.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Civ2 is (with chess) the most addictive game ever
                        I bet that in 50 years, I am still alive, I shall still play it
                        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Yes, chess is fascinating, but bad for your mental health. I cannot stand the clash of egos. I can see that it has turned your smiley insane.
                          - Pekka

Comment

as a novice modder...

I'm with Jawn Henry, that in the beginning I just hated Civ3 - I expected much more invention, I hoped for a game which has all the abbilities of ToT and even more! This wasn't true. CTP1 had more new features as Civ3 I thought at first.

After playing a bit Wiz8 (which really was good), I returned to Civ3 and found out how interesting resources and culture can be. But before I could get addicted to the game, I became addicted to modding it and was eventually frustrated how complicated this is - even with an editor.

No I'm back to Civ2! After playing Lalande several times I felt the urge to create scenarios again (last time I did this was in the year 96 or something )- and one thing is for sure, scenario editing is - at the moment! - much more interesting witch Civ2: TOT than it is with Civ3.

BUT, I'm sure in a few years when all bugs have been killed and the final patch is final, when players made utilities and all this stuff, Civ3 will be worth modding.

Regarding (re-)playbility I can only say, that Civ2 keeps me starting it over and over since it came out, and therefore it's clear, that my highest regards go to Civ2. EVERY game is different from the game before and the Science Fiction and Fantasy games that came with ToT (at least after modding it a bit) are a whole new experience.

So my advice is to buy ToT - I think it's available for 10$ or something? And in a year or two Civ3 is worth buying.

Comment

I play civ2 because I got for chirmas, (yes, they still sell the game) I 1st got in to the game with civ1 (how I miss it) I played that game for over 5 hours (and my 1st time to!) After that I begged by mom to get it like a 5-year old begging to see Barney, Pokemon or some piece of crap.
                              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Working...
                              X