Why Civ2 & Not SMAC, Civ3 or EU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Civ2 & Not SMAC, Civ3 or EU?

I notice that many old names are still playing Civ2 MP and still frequenting the Civ2 forums. I moved on to SMAC pretty happily, but have finally lost interest in both Civ2 and SMAC (after many playing hours).

I hear too much bad stuff about Civ3 to start that and am not sure whether to start up an EU addiction. Do any of you Civ2 folks think I am missing much?

To rephrase, are any Civ2ers also happy with Civ3 or have enjoyed EU? I presume that you have given these or SMAC a decent try since they came out?
    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
    - Pekka

Civ 3 is like wine - it gets better with age

I originally typed this on the Civ 3 forum. Fits perfectly here:

I was really disappointed with Civ 3 when i got it. I still have a gripe or 2 about it that won't likely change. The 1st time i played, i had a rather hard time winning at an easy level (1st or second, don't remember), but eventually, i did win. When i finished the game, i said: "YUCK!! I don't like this." and put the CD away. I almost took it off my machine, but then i relented. "Ya never know, maybe one day..." i thought.

And i let it sit there.

And waited. Played many other games.

But my Civ 3 was still there.

Then, just this week, i decided to give it a run. But with a different attitude. You see, the problem (as i suspect is with most disenchanted people) was my expectations vis-a-vis the game. "Was this not Civ 3 ?? Why is it so different? It doesn't work right!" SMAC was quite different, but i liked it. I was expecting different. While Civ3 may not be as different to Civ2 (as SMAC was), there are significant changes. If it was called, say "Civilization: World Domination", or something, i would have expected different, just like i expect Civ:CTP to be quite different (no, i havent seen it, so i don't know if it really is different). But to call Civ3 something else, well i imagine it would lose a certain amount of marketability.
    All this to say Civ 3 didn't meet my expectations, which irked me a bit. I knew it was a good game, just not what i wanted.

Last week when i played, i treated it like a whole new game, similar to Civ2, but still different. It's a new game to learn. Know what? It's fun. I'm getting to appreciate it. Now i have 2 "world games": Civ2 and Civ3. And yes, i will play both.

If you going to play Civ3 with the attitude that it's an improved Civ2, you will likely be dissappointed. (one or 2 "s"es in that??) But if you view it as a whole new game, chances are, it'll be fun.

That's my 2 cents (3.5 Canadian.)

And i still play Civ2. And Panzer General 2, and Pacific General... all (including Civ3) when i have time, of course!

JH
    There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

BTW, getting Civ2: ToT adds a fresh look and perspective on the game, with multi-map capability...

JH
      There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

Thanks for the response, Jawn.
        I'm willing to treat it as a new game and would actually enjoy seeing a new balance to a Civ game. Maybe I'll just pick it up and try it when I have more time.
        - Pekka

Comment

Nah just forget it.Civ3 is one of those games you play to see the new stuff.Once you've seen it....there is no need to see it again.....kinda like the wonder movies of Civ2 cept you turn the whole game off.

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
            Nah just forget it.Civ3 is one of those games you play to see the new stuff.Once you've seen it....there is no need to see it again.....kinda like the wonder movies of Civ2 cept you turn the whole game off.

Brilliant...that quote should be your signature

---------------------

SG(2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Re: Why Civ2 & Not SMAC, Civ3 or EU?

Originally posted by MattyBoy

Do any of you Civ2 folks think I am missing much?
              At least I can't say you would be retarded just because you don't play Civ III, but at least you're missing quite many new and improved features (do I really have to list all of them? that would take some time, so I'll leave it).
              To rephrase, are any Civ2ers also happy with Civ3 or have enjoyed EU? I presume that you have given these or SMAC a decent try since they came out?
              I'm pleased with both Civ II and III ( OT: why didn't you ask if folks are pleased with Civ I, if you compare these two? ). I don't know what to say about my civing habits, but let's just say that everything named Civ and not made by Activision goes for me.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

How could you not be pleased with Civ I?
                Besides minor bugs it was awesome.
                - Pekka

Comment

I play all of the games mentioned in the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyBoy
                    How could you not be pleased with Civ I?
                    Besides minor bugs it was awesome.
                    Me? Not playing Civ?

*Rasbelin gets a stroke*

Don't even ask...

Yes, I do, or actually did play the original Civ. And it was truly awesome. And it's still captivating. One more turn, but just one more...
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

An admirable use of your time, as long as your are playing at your best every turn.
                      - Pekka

Comment

Been playing more civ2 and smac that civ III, which is just too slow to play on my clunker computer.

Dave
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Been playing more civ2 and smac that civ III, which is just too slow to play on my clunker computer.
                          Same here. I still keep playing Civ2 (mostly scenarios) and my computer is so old it should run on gas or wood (so no Civ3 for me ).

Comment

CivII has stood against time - it is endlessly alterable, and thus can always be made fresh. As most of the seasoned players here, I have at times taken months off from playing it. But it is always fun to pick up again, in particular to play scenarios and succession games.

Civ3 is fun, but not addictive in the way CivII is. There are cool new features, but some of the key 'civ' selling points fall short. If you go into it expecting an improvement over CivII, you would be disappointed. If you approach it as a different game in the same genre, you may find it enjoyable.
                            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                            intelligence to few.

Comment

civ1 was the first real game that kept me up 24/7
                              civ2 did the same, even more so when i multiplay
                              civ3 once i beat it on deity and learned a few of the tricks..i realized that this game grabbed me the way the CTP series did.....NOT AT ALL
                              SMAC i like, but way too slow for MP which limits its staying power
                              EU1/2 both are great games, complex, but even they don't grab me the way civ2 does...but i enjoy them.

In a nutshell, for SP purposes only, civ1 blows all the games away.....civ2 b/c of scenarios, and more importantly MP is IMO the best gaming experience for me that is out there.

Being burned by Co.'s in the past (activision) makes me sour on buying new games.....

if i truly must own it, i will dl it first, and then buy it....

civ1/2 are the only games i have ever felt i got my monies worth ....
                              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X