Succession questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succession questions

I am a Civ neophyte who has owned Civ II for a couple of years but not played a whole lot. I think these succession games are a hoot. In fact, they are so entertaining that just reading the threads covering them is enjoyable.

I have two questions regarding succession games:
    1. How come the saved file is never given a name appropriate to the game? That is to say, Mrs. Mongol's game could be saved as mrsmongol.zip but a default save code is used instead. Perhaps I'm either being finicky or moronic about this (could be both), but I've wondered about that.

2. Would the established and distinguished doctors of Civdom that post here tolerate a neophyte in one of their future succession games ? Of course, whoever followed me would likely have to clean up my mistakes and point them out to me.
    Hello, my name is Shawn and I am Civ impaired.

Re: Succession questions

Originally posted by El Civ
    Would the established and distinguished doctors of Civdom that post here tolerate a neophyte in one of their future succession games ? Of course, whoever followed me would likely have to clean up my mistakes and point them out to me.
    El Civ you will be most welcome We (SGs) will shortly start a new one...Priests in Space featuring fundamentalists launching a craft to AC.

There will be no shortage of people pointing out your mistakes...but that is a two-way street...you must point out our errors too. Political retraining goes with the territory

---------------------------

SG(2)
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Re: Re: Succession questions

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

El Civ you will be most welcome We (SGs) will shortly start a new one...Priests in Space featuring fundamentalists launching a craft to AC.

There will be no shortage of people pointing out your mistakes...but that is a two-way street...you must point out our errors too. Political retraining goes with the territory

---------------------------

SG(2)
      Point out your errors too? That assumes I would recognize them. Fundy is my favorite form of govt. but that is mainly due to my inexperience at properly running other forms of govt.

I have no problems with others pointing out the error of my ways. In fact, it would be a great opportunity to learn the game better. Alas, I have the easy role. The rest of you would have the difficulty of dragging my sorry butt through the game.

Comment

I suspect that last, "dragging your sorry butt through the game" is somewhat wide of the mark, but come what may you will be most welcome...

SG[1]

Comment

... and to directly address your lfirst question - it's one in the orning, even the kids have crashed out - your lady went to bed three hours ago muttering about dire consequences and you have just finished your turns on the latest mega map three zillion city micromanagement nightmare of a succession game -- and you take two seconds to think up a non-default name?? Just look how often we simply forget to post the save at all.....

SG[1]

Comment

Priests in Space

Thank you for the kind invitation, Gits.
            Can I play with 2.42 (which is what I have) or will I need MGE?

Comment

Re: Priests in Space

SG[1], if you are taking applications, I'd like to play as well. At this point, the existing games are moving slowly enough that I could fit in another one, if there's room

Any special settings besides the fundy restriction?

El Civ - you can upgrade to MGE from 2.4.2 at various sites, if you want to. Not that you need it to play (I think most succession games are 2.4.2), but it can come in handy.

STYOM
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Priests in space!

I'll join the Holy Cause!

... and, El Civ, about your filename question, if you name it bo_a1600.sav it's easier - when you've downloaded 3 or 4 MrsMongol.sav - files to understand the order of the saves...
                googol... this is a number!
                "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Re: Priests in space!

Originally posted by Messer Niccolò
                  I'll join the Holy Cause!

... and, El Civ, about your filename question, if you name it bo_a1600.sav it's easier - when you've downloaded 3 or 4 MrsMongol.sav - files to understand the order of the saves...
                  Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks. I've another question: Is there a set number of turns one takes each time, or do you simply play to a certain year?

Comment

Usually the person who starts the game sets out some ground rules. That can include the number of turns to play, the time limit in which to play (some games have dragged out to over a year of r/t), and special rules like no bribing, no wonders, etc.

Usually I like to play 20 turns or so in the early stages, then down to 15, 10, 5 turns as the game gets more complex. Playing the 20 turns between 4000 and 3000 BC takes about 1/2 hour in r/t. Playing 5 turns in a game with 60+ cities and hundreds of units can take 4 or 5 hours!

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                      Playing 5 turns in a game with 60+ cities and hundreds of units can take 4 or 5 hours!

STYOM
                      Is it acceptable to play such a turn over two days, saving the file after the first part of the session? If I spend 4-5 hours playing I'm liable to awake to find my wife at the foot of the bed, butcher knife in hand, mumbling about tending to the baby while I play games.

Comment

El Civ
                        When the games progress into the later years they sometimes become monsters. We all need time to think about a strategy and to actually play. Most players would prefer somebody to play a thoughtful rational game than a rushed and confused one.

Most of all they are games to be enjoyed. The banter between the participants being an important ingredient.

Incidents with spouses/knives/dangling body parts must be avoided at all costs.

-------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Originally posted by El Civ

Is it acceptable to play such a turn over two days, saving the file after the first part of the session? If I spend 4-5 hours playing I'm liable to awake to find my wife at the foot of the bed, butcher knife in hand, mumbling about tending to the baby while I play games.
                          Oh, absolutely. 4-5 hours, not neccessarily consecutive. Plus, 4-5 hours doing nothing but move units will drive you mad. It pays to take a break or it stops being fun and starts being a chore.

Try moving 125 Magogs (or anything) across 2 giga-continents. You'll understand.

STYOM

Comment

STYOM, was it not 255+125 Magogs at the end
                            I think I had 125 only in Australia and twice as many moving across South America to sweep the Spanish in North America.

But yes, fewer turns can be played. And, at least for me, it is not a matter of speed. Spending a few days is ok, as long as you keep the other players informed.

The only thing I dislike about succession games is players who disappear without saying so.

But it's nothing compared to the fun.
                            Great stories, catastrophic "incidents" and a lot of occasion to learn how other play the games.
                            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

And I wouldn't do it, but maybe that, as in a game of chess, one could draw a psychological profile of the players by the way they manage the empire
                              Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Working...
                              X