• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Thousand Year Old Man
    replied
    Re: Giga maps...gasp!

Originally posted by El Civ
    Please tell me that Priests in Space will not involve a giga map. I've never played on one but have read tales of horror. Haven't those maps led to more divorces than pub dart leagues and Ted Kennedy's extramarital affairs?
    Awwww... they're not that bad. And besides, even a large map game can turn into a monster with long turns. I find gigamaps tend to make the AI expand more (and become a semblance of a challenge militarily) and add to the logistical challenge of getting your army to the enemy. Makes it more interesting, for me anyway.

There's usually lots of wide open spaces in a gigamap - more unoccupied space than on a large map, but the number of cities is often similar. Number of cities, IMO, is the major factor in how long a turn takes.

STYOM

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    A git is a contemptible person, often a fool. Can also mean a bastard...now we're reading from the same page.

----------------

SG(2)

Leave a comment:

• El Civ
    replied
    Giga maps...gasp!

Please tell me that Priests in Space will not involve a giga map. I've never played on one but have read tales of horror. Haven't those maps led to more divorces than pub dart leagues and Ted Kennedy's extramarital affairs?

Oh well, I shall play the hand dealt me by the Gits. Speaking of which, I know what a Scouse is but am clueless as to what a git is. I've heard it used in Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("You great Irish git!") and I know what a sot is (I am one), but could someone please assist me on what a git is?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
    STYOM, was it not 255+125 Magogs at the end
    I think I had 125 only in Australia and twice as many moving across South America to sweep the Spanish in North America.
    I just remember moving Magogs around in AC trying to find a city that hadn't had a teleport operation yet, then teleporting the Magogs from AC into China and railroading them north to Manchuria, across Mongolia, into Central Russia, down through Kazakhstan, across Iran and Iraq, through the Middle East and into Egypt... well you get the idea... 20 or 30 per turn at least. It seemed like 380 Magogs when I was doing it, but with the number used as garrisons it was probably 'only' 120.

By the time the last turns were played, there were many more Magogs

And then there was the shuffling of the food caravans to ward off starvation, and the massive number of Mupbu to move around cleaning skulls and/or terraforming... and the checking to make sure every city had a SDI... and... and...

Do you think people are tired of hearing us reminisce about the invasion game, yet?

STYOM

Leave a comment:

• Julius Brenzaida
    replied
    And I wouldn't do it, but maybe that, as in a game of chess, one could draw a psychological profile of the players by the way they manage the empire

Leave a comment:

• Julius Brenzaida
    replied
    STYOM, was it not 255+125 Magogs at the end
    I think I had 125 only in Australia and twice as many moving across South America to sweep the Spanish in North America.

But yes, fewer turns can be played. And, at least for me, it is not a matter of speed. Spending a few days is ok, as long as you keep the other players informed.

The only thing I dislike about succession games is players who disappear without saying so.

But it's nothing compared to the fun.
    Great stories, catastrophic "incidents" and a lot of occasion to learn how other play the games.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by El Civ

Is it acceptable to play such a turn over two days, saving the file after the first part of the session? If I spend 4-5 hours playing I'm liable to awake to find my wife at the foot of the bed, butcher knife in hand, mumbling about tending to the baby while I play games.
    Oh, absolutely. 4-5 hours, not neccessarily consecutive. Plus, 4-5 hours doing nothing but move units will drive you mad. It pays to take a break or it stops being fun and starts being a chore.

Try moving 125 Magogs (or anything) across 2 giga-continents. You'll understand.

STYOM

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    El Civ
    When the games progress into the later years they sometimes become monsters. We all need time to think about a strategy and to actually play. Most players would prefer somebody to play a thoughtful rational game than a rushed and confused one.

Most of all they are games to be enjoyed. The banter between the participants being an important ingredient.

Incidents with spouses/knives/dangling body parts must be avoided at all costs.

-------------------

SG(2)

Leave a comment:

• El Civ
    replied
    Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
    Playing 5 turns in a game with 60+ cities and hundreds of units can take 4 or 5 hours!

STYOM
    Is it acceptable to play such a turn over two days, saving the file after the first part of the session? If I spend 4-5 hours playing I'm liable to awake to find my wife at the foot of the bed, butcher knife in hand, mumbling about tending to the baby while I play games.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Usually the person who starts the game sets out some ground rules. That can include the number of turns to play, the time limit in which to play (some games have dragged out to over a year of r/t), and special rules like no bribing, no wonders, etc.

Usually I like to play 20 turns or so in the early stages, then down to 15, 10, 5 turns as the game gets more complex. Playing the 20 turns between 4000 and 3000 BC takes about 1/2 hour in r/t. Playing 5 turns in a game with 60+ cities and hundreds of units can take 4 or 5 hours!

STYOM

Leave a comment:

• El Civ
    replied
    Re: Priests in space!

Originally posted by Messer Niccolò
    I'll join the Holy Cause!

... and, El Civ, about your filename question, if you name it bo_a1600.sav it's easier - when you've downloaded 3 or 4 MrsMongol.sav - files to understand the order of the saves...
    Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks. I've another question: Is there a set number of turns one takes each time, or do you simply play to a certain year?

Leave a comment:

• Messer Niccolò
    replied
    Priests in space!

I'll join the Holy Cause!

... and, El Civ, about your filename question, if you name it bo_a1600.sav it's easier - when you've downloaded 3 or 4 MrsMongol.sav - files to understand the order of the saves...

Leave a comment:

replied
    Re: Priests in Space

SG[1], if you are taking applications, I'd like to play as well. At this point, the existing games are moving slowly enough that I could fit in another one, if there's room

Any special settings besides the fundy restriction?

El Civ - you can upgrade to MGE from 2.4.2 at various sites, if you want to. Not that you need it to play (I think most succession games are 2.4.2), but it can come in handy.

STYOM

Leave a comment:

• El Civ
    replied
    Priests in Space

Thank you for the kind invitation, Gits.
    Can I play with 2.42 (which is what I have) or will I need MGE?

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    ... and to directly address your lfirst question - it's one in the orning, even the kids have crashed out - your lady went to bed three hours ago muttering about dire consequences and you have just finished your turns on the latest mega map three zillion city micromanagement nightmare of a succession game -- and you take two seconds to think up a non-default name?? Just look how often we simply forget to post the save at all.....

SG[1]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X