I think Im too nice......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Im too nice......

Hey could someone please explain a little about foreign affairs?

I've tried so hard to be nice to all the other civilizations and was doing pretty well sharing techs and giving into their stupid demands then they all ganged up on me at once...

I hate this addictive game.

Thanks in advance
    Misti

Are you talking about CivII or Civ3? The diplomacy is very different between the two...

In either case, you probably got ganged up on because you were weak. In Civ3 because they had larger militaries than you; in CivII because that's just what the AI does.
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Civ2 is what Im playing now....so if thats what AI does then there is no use being nice huh?

Its just that I was trying for a huge score on the no wars line of thinking but I guess that won't happen.

Comment

If you are supreme, they will attack you even when it is not in their best interest. Basically, the AI is programmed to not sit back and watch you win. If you are playing MGE, the AI is even more aggressive than in the earlier versions. It's really hard to avoid wars in CivII.

Being nice works at times, but don't always give in. The AI will call your bluff sometimes. Others they declare war if you refuse their demands. Only give in if you are in a position to lose a city if war breaks out. Good luck!

It's hard to pull the Civneedle out of your arm, have fun!
        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
        intelligence to few.

Comment

It is possible to get to AC without evr being at war - OCC can often work like that

SG[1]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

And if they do declare war, just take one of their city's, they usualy offer peace when you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercatia
              Civ2 is what Im playing now....so if thats what AI does then there is no use being nice huh?
              nope not really...even if they only have 1 city left the AI will try to bully a 100 city empire.(diplomatic strategy really is something the AI has no clue about)

btw you can get that blue peacebar you just need a little effort.
              step one: whipe them out till they only have one city left
              step two: kick them back to the stoneage
              step tree: get peace with them
              step four: if you did step two in a good enough fassion it will take long enough for them to recuperate for you to get those 100 points peace-bonus .
              step five: keep a very close look at their development( the AI forgets peacetreaties with you each and every turn so don't forget to renew those.And bribe every unit they build that comes out of their last city.

Shade
              ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
              shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

About the pet city thing... Once you got that last city surrounded, fortify Freight all around it, and keep a few other units outside their city radius just in case. Because freight aren't military units, they'll never ask you to withdraw them, and that way they can't ever leave their city.

How aggressive the AI is also depends on the difficulty level. At the lower difficulty levels the AI is much nicer.
                If you really want to keep the other civs happy, it's usually best to gift techs and/or money, instead of just giving stuff when they're asking for it. And if you form alliances you'll have more durable peace as well. But this will only work as long as your empire is smaller than theirs, but not too backwards either or they won't find you interesting enough to ally with.

By the way, nice handle Mercatia.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercatia

Its just that I was trying for a huge score on the no wars line of thinking but I guess that won't happen.
                  Never give the AI gold or techs in reparations for a war that they started- they will just declare in a few more turns if they only sign a cease fire and not a peace.

It is nearly impossible to have no wars- unless of course your civilization is on an island such as britain and you fortify your coastline so that only Marines can amphibiously assault
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Poll: Are Mercator and Mercatia related to each other?

Comment

I was waiting for that question... But sadly, the answer is no ( not as far as I know anyway).
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Foreign affairs are for your benefit - NOT for any gain on the part of the AI. Being nice does not enter into the equation.

You need only speak to them on the following occasions:

a) To exchange knowledge.
                        b) To exchange maps.
                        c) To extract tribute
                        d) To form an alliance
                        e) To ask for a gift whilst part of an alliance.
                        f) To demand they withdraw their troops.
                        g) To make gifts of science to stop the research handicap.

You set the agenda - once you let the AI control international relations you are on the way to losing the game.

Foreign affairs are best conducted at the start of the turn, because if the AI declares war you have the remainder of your turn to react accordingly.

--------------------

SG(2)
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Wow maybe we knew each other in another life Mercator?????

How funny are names are so close.

You all have great ideas but I guess as in real life its impossible to have world peace! Oh well I'll start being really mean and try for total world domination. hahaha.

Have fun!!!

Comment

Diplomacy is one of the thing that is not perfect in civ2
                            The Ai is too agressive and then fight too poorly. Not the best combination.
                            Most players don't care too much dealing with the AI, except in Democracy or Republic when you cannot attack whenever you want and except to exchange technologies and acquire money from tributes.
                            Indeed, I am only really preoccupied by the f3 key when I am playing OCC.
                            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Working...
                            X