Is there a population limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a population limit?

My population counter stopped at 320,000,0000. Around year 2009.
    Is this a bug, or just a bummer?

That's the apparent limit. You can have more population; it just doesn't record it.

BTW, there's a patch made by one of our more enterprising Apolytoners removing this limit. If you do a database search, you should be able to find it.
    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

The patch you want is Julius Brenzaida's 'NoLimits' patch - it cures most of the silly limitations on various statistics and allows Giga maps - seriously good fun. The only downside is that I believe it disables the scenario editor.

I shall try and find the link ...

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

The NoLimits patch is here
        Vlad - love the avatar!!!

SG[1]

Comment

Re: Is there a population limit?

Originally posted by Mr Bunny
          My population counter stopped at 320,000,0000. Around year 2009.
          Is this a bug, or just a bummer?
          See the posts above.
          To test a technical limit at the program
          build 255 cities, change rules.txt

@ Cosmic
          0 ; # of food each citizen eats per turn
          0 ; # of rows in food box (rows * city_size+1 = box)

@Terrain
          set foodproduction to 50 or higher on any terrain

wait -> until gamecrash or not

Comment

Note that this no-limits patch is only available for Civ2 MGE and ToT. If you can't multiplay with your Civ2, the no-limits patch will not work!
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Is there a no-limits patch to elimate the city limit in Civ II regluar or Fantastic Worlds---- I would assume no.
              But 1. I am itnerested if there is one
              and
              2. This general forum needs some more traffic
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The city limit can't be eliminated, no matter what Civ2 version.

Look here for an in-depth discussion of this fascinating issue :
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

That's horrid, now "I have to keep pressing OK to coninue the game

(I have a game with about 270 cities or more )
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Is there any way to remove the city report screens?

I stopped playing on large maps becouse I got quite annoyed at having to hit the enter screen 100+ times each round

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
                      Is there any way to remove the city report screens?

I stopped playing on large maps becouse I got quite annoyed at having to hit the enter screen 100+ times each round
                      Try Ctrl-E or Game|City Report Options and uncheck all the boxes - that should stop the city report screens ... but you will come to regret it ...

SG[1]

Comment

As for the population limit, I have no idea why it is there.
                        Gigamaps are only for MGE and ToT, but the limit of population and of gold can be eliminated in all versions of civ2.
                        It's just that I didn't think it deserved a patch on its own
                        For the 255 cities, 2048 units and 7 civs, abandon all hope
                        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

I've been trying to do an FW no-limits patch, but I can't seem to find the population limit. There are hundreds of occurrences of 32000!

By the way, the no-limits patch doesn't eliminate the 30,000 gold limit of the treasury option in the cheat menu.
                          It can be raised easily to 99,999... But there's a limit of 5 characters in the box, and I don't know where to look to lift that limit.

Comment

Mercator, at least in MGE and ToT, the population limit is one of the 1st time (2nd if I recall) when the 32000 number appears. You should try a few shots in the dark, and hopefully it should work.

If you do a patch for FW, don't forget to put the new barbarians and difficulty levels as they work for FW but not MGE
                            For the gold limit in cheat, no idea how to improve on 99999
                            Good luck
                            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
                              Mercator, at least in MGE and ToT, the population limit is one of the 1st time (2nd if I recall) when the 32000 number appears. You should try a few shots in the dark, and hopefully it should work.
                              I don't know about MGE, but the ToT exe looks way different from the FW one. There only are a handful of long integer occurrences of 32000 in ToT (which are the ones related to the population), while there are no 32000 long integer occurrences in FW, and a truckload of short integer occurrences.

If you do a patch for FW, don't forget to put the new barbarians and difficulty levels as they work for FW but not MGE
                              OK

For the gold limit in cheat, no idea how to improve on 99999
                              I'd probably have to learn assembly language or something to get that right, or at least find some sort of reverse engineering program. But I'm not that desperate and have plenty of more important (real-life) things to deal with...

Good luck
                              Thanks... I'm not exactly working very hard on it though, just the few moments I don't have anything else to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X