Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Civ

Hey...
    I'm kinda new to the board, but please bear with me.
    I was wondering what is the best civilization to use if I want to be mainly scientific. The thing is, I have always used romans, since they are "Civilized", "Expansionist" and "Rational" (I think that's right). I have tried playing with the Russians, but the Germans seem to conquer everything and everyone. I have tried Greeks, and have gotten slaughtered. I have tried most civilizations, and have decided that I am going to be peaceful and try to get ahead technologicaly instead of militaristicly. Am I using the right civilization for this?
    On another note,
    Is there any way of knowing what "goody huts" will contain? I noticed that it isn't random. I have never managed to get "Scrolls of Wisdom" when I am more advanced. How do I get them? (I think they are the most useful next to nomads).
    Thanks for all your help...
    îÁ ÄÅ×ÑÔÅÒÎÏÊ ×ÉÓÔÕÀÔ ÐÏÐÙ, ÓÔÕÄÅÎÔÙ
    É ÎÁÞÁÌØÎÉË ÓÔÁÎÃÉÉ áÒÍÁ×ÉÒ.

The various flags - Civilised, Expansionist, Rational only effect the way the AI plays that civ - although there is a little evidence that they have a slight influence upon starting techs.
    If you want a peaceful scientific game try to avoid the warlike expansionist neighbours.
    Vikings get the best starting techs by a short head - but you can of course still start with zilch.
    SG(2) has a theory that you are less likely to get Scrolls when your tech rate is zero - but its only a theory at the moment.
    Does this help at all?

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Re: Best Civ

Originally posted by dabossss
      I'm sure that comes out as something most erudite in your character set - but it is mostly accented capital vowels in mine! Care to elucidate?

SG[1]

Comment

Re: Best Civ

Hey...
        I'm kinda new to the board, but please bear with me.
        Welcome!... Make yourself comfortable, you'll be spending a lot of time here.

I was wondering what is the best civilization to use if I want to be mainly scientific. The thing is, I have always used romans, since they are "Civilized", "Expansionist" and "Rational" (I think that's right). I have tried playing with the Russians, but the Germans seem to conquer everything and everyone. I have tried Greeks, and have gotten slaughtered. I have tried most civilizations, and have decided that I am going to be peaceful and try to get ahead technologicaly instead of militaristicly. Am I using the right civilization for this?

These three particular values determine how the computer plays those particular civilizations. For a human player these values mean exactly nothing.It all depends on your leadership.
        The Civ2-Strategy forum would be the place for improving in that area...

In Civ3 there are somewhat equal properties that DO make a difference, not in Civ2.

On another note,
        Is there any way of knowing what "goody huts" will contain? I noticed that it isn't random. I have never managed to get "Scrolls of Wisdom" when I am more advanced. How do I get them? (I think they are the most useful next to nomads).
        Thanks for all your help...
        As far as I know, they are random. But you'd probably better have a look at the Great Library for the details about that.
        There's one thing I can already tell you, though. After you have discovered Invention, you can no longer get technologies from goody huts.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

SG was faster.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

re: goody huts

You will no longer find scrolls of wisdom in huts after you have discovered Invention. I can't recall if the AI getting it first has an effect or not...
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

If I'm not in a warlike mood, I play as one of the dark blue civs, since if the AI controls them, they're damned aggressive. I've taken a liking to the Vikings, actually.

If I am in a warlike mood, then I play as the Greeks, with the Persians selected as one of the other civs. Damned fun roleplaying like that.
              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Re: re: goody huts

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                You will no longer find scrolls of wisdom in huts after you have discovered Invention. I can't recall if the AI getting it first has an effect or not...
                Invention is not a "global" discovery (like some techs kill wonders even if you don't have the particular science) ... so if YOU don't have Invention you can still receive scrolls. (Same for Nomads and Explosives)

-------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Ok thanks a lot. I'll try Vikings.
                  Oh, and Scouse Gits? My signature is in Russian, since I'm Russian (live in Ausstralia now). It refers to a great Russian card game. Thanks again for all your help, and yes, you probably will be seeing a lot of me here and in the "Strategy" forum.

Comment

Oh, and Scouse Gits? My signature is in Russian, since I'm Russian (live in Ausstralia now). It refers to a great Russian card game.
                    Oh no it isn't - or at least it is not being rendered as such by my character set ...

Welcome to the best Civ community on the net - you will enjoy it here ...

SG[1]

Comment

It is Russian.
                      I fyou are using IE, then goto View>Encoding>Auto Select
                      or View>Encoding>More>Cyrillic (KOI8-R).
                      Thats the encoder I used to type my sig.

Comment

Ah-ha - yes View>Encoding>Cyrillic does the job - now all I have to do is try and decypher it ...
                        Thanks

Comment

Just a thought... What if I don't get Invention at all (say get Gunpowder from the GL, trade or steal with AI)? Does that mean I can keep getting scrolls of wisdom for say... Combustion?

Comment

In principle, yes. But you'd have to stop your research when you've discovered everything before Invention. The only wa to discover new techs would be through trade, huts or the Great Library... And the GL could very well give you Invention too. Since there's only a limited amount of huts that give techs, I don't think not getting Invention would be very interesting (and you wouldn't be able to build Leo's Workshop either).

Now I think of it. If you really want to continue getting techs... You could change the rules.txt, disable Invention, rename one of the unused techs to Invention, and change all references to Invention accordingly. That would eliminate this problem. However, Invention is also the key to several other things, such as changing your civ's population to Renaissance style.

Comment

Forget the Great Library option. If you get gunpowder from the GL, you will have already gotten invention from it, too.
                              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                              intelligence to few.

Comment

Working...
                              X