No announcement yet.

Newbie Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would recommend the purple (Sioux) because when ever I'm them I usually Get the best outcome. I'm rarely lower than a supreme power, but I've had a vicious reputation once when I had to take revenge on the english when they stole my technology. I totally destroyed them.

Oh and Welcome to the Forums

-J.B.-
    Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

The importance of the purple civ is as follows:

Assuming you are not the purple civ...and are "Supreme"...
      you must give techs to the purple civ to prevent the science handicap. (This is imposed by the game if you are the most advanced nation)
      If you are only Mighty then make gifts to the Orange civ
      Strong to Cyan
      Moderate to Yellow
      Inadequate to Blue
      Weak to Green
      and if you are pathetic give advances to the White civ!

----------

SG(2)
      Oh c'mon! The programming isn't *that* detailed, is it?

Oh heck, I don't even know what the "science handicap" is. Or is that only in SP (which I seldom bother with).
      Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
        Another nice thing about fanatics: they are a very useful first step in incremental rushbuilding. With one shield in the production box, you save 20 gold by buying a fanatic, then a diplomat, as opposed to buying the diplomat first. With an empty box, the savings are 65 gold.
        ...and many of us (for example myself) know that dave is VERY keen on buying diplomats for cheap and then buying anything else (including vet ironclads) for cheap with those diplomats.

Hello dave! I salute you.
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear

Oh heck, I don't even know what the "science handicap" is. Or is that only in SP (which I seldom bother with).
          Civ 2 is a complex game! The science handicap cuts in when you are about 2 or 3 techs ahead of your nearest rival. During the spring/summer of last year, when samson and Solo were breaking records for early landings, there was a detailed discussion on the subject. My MP experience is mainly PBEM - but I can't see why it should not apply in multiplayer games.

---------------

SG(2)
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear

Also in MP! Research costs you fewer beakers if you follow the tech gifting guide briefly summarized above. Samson, iirc, discovered that your power rating related to one of the civ colors. If you gift techs to the civ whose color corresponds to your power rating, you speed up your research.

Maybe other MPers don't know this either. Find the thread and arm yourself with some powerful strategy! It was titled "The Key to Tech Gifting" or something similar.
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

Yes, the "key civ" concept adds a whole new wrinkle to selection of colors in MP. Since some colors may not even be in the game (and therefore will have no techs), changing your position on the powergraph can make a huge difference in your tech cost.

Hi, La Fayette! Vet ironclads are expensive, but worth the cost in the right circumstances.

Comment

Working...
              X