X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Alert

A few newb questions.

1) What does a WLTP day actually do?

2) Why do some people say that white is the best colour to play as?

3) Has anyone found any use for fanatics?

4) Why does a chopper beat a vet fortified mech inf?

1) What does a WLTP day actually do?
    It makes that one city produce at a higher level
    Despotism->Monarchy production
    Monarchy/Communism/fundi->Republik/democracy tradebonus
    Democracy/Republik-> adds one pop each turn it is in WLT day and there is food left

(not sure about rep)

3) Has anyone found any use for fanatics?
    they are cheap->trow them at your enemy to weaken him
    (or if you only need low defence over a huge empire then you can build that defence very quickly)

4) Why does a chopper beat a vet fortified mech inf?
    There was a thread about battlecalculations here somewhere.

Shade
    (welcome)
    ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
    shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Yes, it also applies for republic

what is a chopper?

White might be a good color because you tend to get more free techs at start when playing as a white civ.

A purple civ gets less free techs but has some other advantage I think...

Comment

A chopper is a helicopter, silly.

There's only one reason I can think of that would make the white civ the best choice... The civs are placed on the map in order (first the white then the green, blue etc.), because of that, the white civ may get the best starting spot. I think this would only or mainly apply on maps with little fertile land, though, where later placed civs sometimes even end up on one of the poles.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

A helicopter has high hp/fp (3/2, iirc), and ignores city walls and fortresses. That with an attack of 10 (15 if veteran!) makes a very powerful attack unit. If the helicopter is a veteran, you should expect it to beat the mech.inf.

Fanatics are the best deal of any unit with regard to shield cost. A 4/4 unit for just 20 shields! Cheap.

The white civ has the disadvantage of the coastal fortress not working in the capitol, which is a bug. Some might argue that it is best because it goes first - any ties in wonder building or such will be won by white. Rather small factor, in my opinion.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

re: playing as white civs

The only reason i have ever heard to play as them is that you go first in the order, just marquis de sodaq said. In the grand scheme of things this might seem insignificant, but it can be slightly advantageuos. It follows in wonder building order, and in landing the spaceship, so you can plan on landing the same year as someone else, and you'll beat them!

And in real world terms, a group of helicopters (i'm thinking apache/ something with decent firepower) that attacks mechanized infantry will no doubtedly win, seeing as they will have rockets etc, that the infantry's armor can't stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
              The white civ has the disadvantage of the coastal fortress not working in the capitol, which is a bug.
              Now who's the geek who figured that out...

Comment

Why hasn't anyone said this yet?

DL!

now that that formality is out of the way, welcome aboard

(BTW, DL = Double Log-in and it used to be something of a tradition to accuse each and every newbie of being one )
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Yes, a DL accusation was very useful. One could quickly alienate a newcomer and up his post count at the same time. Two birds with one stone!

Ecthelion, it seems the geeks around here have discovered too much, sometimes...
                  The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                  intelligence to few.

Comment

Another nice thing about fanatics: they are a very useful first step in incremental rushbuilding. With one shield in the production box, you save 20 gold by buying a fanatic, then a diplomat, as opposed to buying the diplomat first. With an empty box, the savings are 65 gold.

Comment

A chopper is a helicopter, silly.
                      Well, in the US it can also mean motorcycle.
                      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Interesting information here... You can still learn something new about Civ2, even after 5 years!
                        But then again, I don't really care about all the details of the Civ2 game engine.

Originally posted by The ANZAC
                        Well, in the US it can also mean motorcycle.
                        Ah yes... It's the "classic" Harley Davidson kind of things, right? (the kinds of motorcycles that make "chopping" sounds presumably?)
                        But motorcycles aren't Civ2 units to the best of my knowledge.

Originally posted by Case
                        Why hasn't anyone said this yet?

DL!

now that that formality is out of the way, welcome aboard

(BTW, DL = Double Log-in and it used to be something of a tradition to accuse each and every newbie of being one )
                        I thought the DL-dance was usually restricted to the OT dance floor?
                        Care to dance?
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

2) Why do some people say that white is the best colour to play as?
                          read something about the purple civ in connection to science beakers + penalties...but I forgot what it was-> best/worst

Care to dance?
                          May I have this dance?
                          Naaah...I'll ask the Foreign Advisor for that dance...

Shade
                          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

The white civ goes first, a small advantage, but chess players prefer it! In most games the white civ has "better" terrain around the starting location. Better land to the AI is grassland and does not always mean trade specials. On avarage white civs receive less starting techs because of this "advantage" However, somewhere I still have an 8 tech start for the Romans on a Medium Map!

The importance of the purple civ is as follows:

Assuming you are not the purple civ...and are "Supreme"...
                            you must give techs to the purple civ to prevent the science handicap. (This is imposed by the game if you are the most advanced nation)
                            If you are only Mighty then make gifts to the Orange civ
                            Strong to Cyan
                            Moderate to Yellow
                            Inadequate to Blue
                            Weak to Green
                            and if you are pathetic give advances to the White civ!

----------

SG(2)
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys . It's very useful to a newb like myself.

I only just beat my first game on emperor difficulty the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X