Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How honest are you?

How honest are you when playing Civ?

I use to reload the game if there are barbarians in a goody hut. If an enemy have "nearly completed wonder X" I take the chance to buy it before they get it. Sometimes I reload & replay at critical points, for example when only a phalanx is protecting one of my cities and there are a hostile catapult next to it and the phalanx may get killed when fighting it.

I never use the "cheat" option.

How do other players do?

IMHO this is not a question about your honour.
    It is about the way how you enjoy the game.

I think you lose some thrill if you know in advance you may reload.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I don't know anyone who would use
      the cheat menu when playing a regular game.
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

currently i exclusively play MP, so no reloads or cheat menus. previously though when i played sp, i didn't reload but would occasionally use the cheat mode to reveal the map in early stages of the game to compare how many cities the ai had.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I don't cheat but I save/load games a lot. That's just about it.

Comment

I used to save and revert a lot while using spies, especially. ever since I figured it was cheating , I only loaded for reasons other than gameplay. much different game.

Comment

I used to save before huts, but no longer. The only times I reload now are when I forget to do something for no reason other than I had too many cities and units to tend to. This is usually running down a barbarian leader, killing a barbarian next to some remote city, etc. Otherwise I just grin and bear it.
              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
              intelligence to few.

Comment

I never cheat
                Must have been badly raised by my parents
                The only thing I do is sometimes save the game very early on when it looks like promising terrain and try to different strategies (OCC and all for war, for example).
                But yes indeed it is a matter on how you enjoy playing as long as you don't pretend to hold records
                Personnaly, rather than cheating I'd play some games at Prince just for the fun of a large empire in an easy game.
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Buying Wonders isn't cheating. That announcement is a warning, not a taunt. Saving and reloading related to huts takes all the fun out of manuevering in relation to the darn things. Replaying because the incredibly dense and linear AI outmanuevered you also reduces the thrill, IMHO. Only times I ever use the cheat option is after the end of the game, to see what's left of the AI that my spies can't reach, if I've gone with an AC victory. Say yes to "play on," then turn on cheat to see the world from each of their perspectives. If you haven't overdone map sharing, this can be fun.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Friggen' reload cheater!! DIE!!

(Don't give me any wimpy, stuff about people playing the game the way they want--cheaters are wimps!!)

Comment

Ages ago, I use to save before big battles and would reload if it didn't go my way. Or I would reload if an AI suddenly showed up on my shores when I wasn't prepared for an attack. However, I long since gave up the practice because you lose a lot of what makes the game fun. When I receive a setback from the AI due to poor planning or more likely from neglecting some part of my civ, I now realize how much more fun it is to have to plan to recoup the losses than to just reload. Before finding this terrible sight the game used to be somewhat more challenging and some such setbacks where often the sign of the end of my reign. Now I will often try to artificially set up such issues that I will have to deal with.

My only borderline cheat is that I when I am done playing for the evening I often 'retire' after saving instead of just quitting, therefore I get to see the powergraph and learn who the more powerful AI are. Since I usually try to 'hamstring' my civ in some manner to keep the AI competitive, I like check the powergraph at the end of many sessions to see how things are going.

Comment

I wish I reloaded

Last night, I had started as the Germans on a great site, rivers and specials all around. I got 8-10 cities down really quickly, destroyed the Indians, and had two cities racing towards wonders. I was a bit slow getting Pottery, so they were both building Col. Just beforeI got Pott, I carefully decided which one had the best trade (they were both on rivers), and decided to build Col there.

Here's the crunch - when I did get Pot, I changed the wrong city, and built Col where I wanted HG. Col got built first, in my capital! Aargh. I did not realise until too late.

Then, I get killed with unrest as my number of cities passes 12 and I have not got HG yet!!!

And the autosavs are too new to save my sorry ass, so I am just going to have to suck it up.

Comment

Unfortunately I have to say that I can sometimes go way over the top on reloading. I played some games where I reload on goody huts until I get something I want (which can take a while). I sometimes even reload a hard-to-win battle until I win.

The only times I use the cheat menu is when I get bored of a game. But that means I´m not really playing the game through anymore, just a little cheating fun for a while, seeing what the other civs were up to, and then I quit.

It kinda looks like my playing style has generally degraded over the years. I could be quite the warmonger, especially in Civ1 (although I never played above Warlord level), but the last year or two I´ve played tragically peacefull games.
                          I guess I was just trying too desperately to get a big score, instead of playing just for fun.

In the ToT succession game I´ve only reloaded once so far, I believe. So I´m improving.

Personnaly, rather than cheating I'd play some games at Prince just for the fun of a large empire in an easy game.

I usually play at Prince, or King at times, and I have a difficult time enough at that level.
                          Maybe I should just start playing Civ3 at Emperor level or something, take a severe beating at first and then finally find out how the AI works.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Re: How honest are you?

Originally posted by mp4
                            How honest are you when playing Civ?

I use to reload the game if there are barbarians in a goody hut. If an enemy have "nearly completed wonder X" I take the chance to buy it before they get it. Sometimes I reload & replay at critical points, for example when only a phalanx is protecting one of my cities and there are a hostile catapult next to it and the phalanx may get killed when fighting it.

I never use the "cheat" option.

How do other players do?
                            Well...I never ever reload! I think that's not fun, because it makes the game just too easy! If the computer gets me off guard i even like that, because the thrill of winning by facing the problems it's better than winning because you reloaded!!

It's really a great enjoyment by winning by your own means!!

As for the "nearly completed wonder X", i buy it too before the AI, but i've never realized that was a cheat!!

Portugal
                            Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
                            Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
                            and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
                            "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

JayKay, as I said earlier, buying wonders is NOT a cheat. I also "retire" when I'm through in the evening, but I don't see that as cheating either.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X