Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
    to prove maths is meaningless (lets see if i can put this down)

in maths, 1+1=2

but can we mathmatically proove that 1+1=2? we are told that it is so, but it is not proovable for maths is a network of theories bassed on numbers. Numbers are just characters or symbols on bits of paper. Therefore, it cannot be MATHMATICALY prooved that 1+1=2. Hence, the most basic math principles are meaningless.

If this is so, nothing can be immpossible for there is no mathmatical way to deem it impossible.
    OK, a mathematicians book was published around 1920 which set out to make the very proofs you speak of. I'm not sure of the title, but it is a very large book. I'm told that by page 187, they have manged to prove that 1+1=2.
    The proof is out there.
    just because it may be a bit beyond you.
    nevertheless, the proof is a practical unneccessity. Mathematics works for every situation we have put it against. Archimedes principles are classic examples
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

but how monay people have read this book?

i can still dazzle half drunk middle aged people at dinner parties :P:P
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

As Father Beast said many proofs are very complicated, and some truly cannot be proven, for example the only way to prove that a+b=b+a is to try every possible values for a and b which is impossible because there are infinate possible values, but it is genally acepted as true. The same is true for a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c and ab=ba, etc.
        Civ=pi CivII=pi*d CivCTP=pi*r^2 CivIII=4/3pi*r^3 (hopefully)
        Civ pi= It's coming
        P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

so, has anybody neem watching big brother?

Comment

Most of these things are rules/definitions used for the everyday maths people use. Everyday in so much as for matrices ab=ba isn't usually true, work in base 2 and then 1+1=10. You're welcome to create your own branch of maths with your own rules if these aren't good enough for you. Maybe it will catch on or find some use in some bizarre abstract theories.
            "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

well, i invented 2 new '0's.

a posotive, a negative and a nuetral :P

multi play anything by 0+ the ansrwe will be a positive zreo and vica vercsa. The nutral is the for when a photon meets an anti-photon :P:P

Comment

Orginally posted by EOL
                Most of these things are rules/definitions used for the everyday maths people use. Everyday in so much as for matrices ab=ba isn't usually true, work in base 2 and then 1+1=10
                First of all ab always equels ba (ab means a*b, and vice versa). Also no matter what base you use the rules are the same. The 1st digit=base^0(always 1), 2nd digit=base^1,...nth digit=base^(n-1). So if you change all of those numbers in base two to base 10 the answer is the same. 1(base 2)+1(base 2)=10 (base 2)
                = = =
                1(base 10)+1(base 10)=2(base 10)
                In other words 10(base 2)=2(base 10)
                Also no base is really more logical than another, the only reason we use base 10, is because we have a total of ten digits(fingers+thumbs) on our hands.
                Civ pi= It's coming
                P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Anyway, getting back to the subject...

I figure civ1 as 2piR, because it was very linear. almost no customization at all was available. we had to hack saved game files to make "scenarios", which were very limited

I figure civ2 as piR^2 because it allows a great deal of freedom of movement and customization in some ways, and is still very flat in other ways.

AC is kind of like a civ2 mod, but I begin to see the circle bulge, just a little.

I hope civ3 is 4piR^2 for obvious reasons. nuff said.

Andz, sorry Andy, half drunk middle aged people is your limit. you're not dazzling us.
                  Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                  ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

maybve if i still like maths i would.

but middle aged drunk people is the only people i get to show off to

Comment

Originally posted by Civ Pi(3.14)Fan

Also no base is really more logical than another, the only reason we use base 10, is because we have a total of ten digits(fingers+thumbs) on our hands.
                      Indeed, many languages belie the use of base 12 or 16 or other numbers before literacy became common, when base 10 became even more convenient.

ex: English, our fine forum language, uses one thru twelve, thirteen (three and ten), fourteen (four and ten), etc. Bigger numbers were telled with other terms - score, gross, etc. Perfectly logical and useful if used regularly.
                      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                      intelligence to few.

Comment

Also, mathemeticians of yore have invented alternative geometries that are perfectly logical and internally consistent. Old Euclid still reigns, of course, but his geometry is not the only possible one.
                        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                        intelligence to few.

Comment

I agree with you on that one Father Beast. Even though I think SMAC and Civ II are the same, in terms of this scale. They both have diffrent pluses and minius. Also, ancient Babylonion used a base 60 numbering system(imagine having to remember 59(they had no digit for 0) digits instead of 10)
                          Civ pi= It's coming
                          P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Working...
                          X