Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks

Thanks,Father Beast.
    Civ=pi CivII=pi*d CivCTP=pi*r^2 CivIII=4/3pi*r^3 (hopefully)
    Civ pi= It's coming
    P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Civ Pi(3.14)Fan
    Thanks,Father Beast.
    Civ pi= It's coming
    P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

couple of comments and questions.
    in my own book, it's more like:
    civ= 2piR, the circumfrence of a circle.
    civ2= piR^2, the area of a circle
    hopefully civ3 will = 4piR^2, the area of the surface of a sphere. I think that 4/3piR^3, the volume of a sphere, may be too much to hope for. maybe for civ4...

I notice you put CTP as between civ2 and civ3. how do you rate CTP2?
    Come to think of it, where does AC fit into your circular world?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Do you 2 ever go out or breathe without a list of mathematical rubbish bulking up your brains?
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
        Do you 2 ever go out or breathe without a list of mathematical rubbish bulking up your brains?
        Ahh, but it makes life so much more beautiful. imagine breathing in the air while understanding the composition of it, and what causes the pressure!

But mathematics aside, surely you can see the flexibility inherent in the expansion from circle to sphere. We just happen to know the formulae because it interests us.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Genius

Father Beast, you sound like the right person to ask this question...

I was playtesting the Age of Osman scenario when I got this error message during the first turn...
          What do you think is going on?
          Attached Files
          MRP

Comment

i useed to be good at sceinece and starting thinking of every thing as little bits of strings.

This then started to confuse my already crusty brain. So i had to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
              Ah, but it is Mathmatics that rules the world. The chance of a phalanx sucessfully attacking a fortified riflemen is almost (but not quite) zero is because of math . Everything in the game is math. From combat to research to prodution, everything os determined by math. Also like what what Father Beast said:

But mathematics aside, surely you can see the flexibility inherent in the expansion from circle to sphere. We just happen to know the formulae because it interests us.
              Originally posted by Father Beast
              ...hopefully civ3 will = 4piR^2, the area of the surface of a sphere. I think that 4/3piR^3, the volume of a sphere, may be too much to hope for. maybe for civ4...
              You're probally right, but you should always dream. Anyway, I haven't played CTP 2 so I couldn't grade it and SMAC is pi*2r (the same as Civ II)
              Civ pi= It's coming
              P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

well, i have news for you, i can mathmaticaly proove (i think) that maths cannopt exsist and that there is no occourence that is impossible....

Comment

well, i have news for you, i can mathmaticaly proove (i think) that maths cannopt exsist and that there is no occourence that is impossible....
                  How can you mathmaticly prove that math cannot exsist? If math does not exsist, you cannot mathmaticaly prove it, because math would have to exsist to mathmaticaly prove that it does not.And if you do mathmaticaly prove it then you could not have possibly prove it, so your threoy is void. Also, yes in the game no occorance is impossible, some are just very, very, very unlikly.
                  Civ pi= It's coming
                  P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Actually, civpi, I think that if you could come up with a mathematical proof that mathematics was inconsistent, then mathematics would have to go out the window because it would be self cancelling. the proof would be meaningless only if math itself is meaningless. so by including the possibility for that proof within its framework, mathematics itself becomes meaningless.

(Whew!)

of course, the proof would have to stay within the boundaries. Not blatantly defy them like in the classic algebraic sequence which starts:
                    a=b
                    and later on has you divide both sides by
                    a-b
                    which would of course be zero, and ends by "proving" that
                    1=2.
                    all through the illegal divide by zero function.

Hey Andy
                    Different strokes, eh? as I sit here I read about superstrings while waiting for the pages at Apolyton to load (takes about a minute for each one)

Another day I would be perusing the AC manual, or civ2, or CTP, etc.

Comment

Yes, but math does exsist even though there are some confusing (and facinating) inconsitances like the one you mentioned, for example I could prove that zero * infinity = 1 or 2 or 3 or any other number you wish. Therefore every number = every other number becase if a=b & b=c then a=c. Cool, eh?
                      Civ pi= It's coming
                      P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Yes, which is why x/0 = undefined.

On the other hand, pi holds, with 100% possibility, every finite series of numbers inside it. Somewhere in pi are the whole Apolyton forums... Just after the genetic codes of all of the world's people. After which is, curiously enough, ten billion times (in ASCII) the message "Abolish post counts!".

It's in there somewhere !
                        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

to prove maths is meaningless (lets see if i can put this down)

in maths, 1+1=2

but can we mathmatically proove that 1+1=2? we are told that it is so, but it is not proovable for maths is a network of theories bassed on numbers. Numbers are just characters or symbols on bits of paper. Therefore, it cannot be MATHMATICALY prooved that 1+1=2. Hence, the most basic math principles are meaningless.

If this is so, nothing can be immpossible for there is no mathmatical way to deem it impossible.

Comment

Say you have one apple and a friend gives you another one apple, so count one apple, two apple, so 1+1=2
                            Civ pi= It's coming
                            P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

but can you mathmaticaly proove there are 2 apples?

putting 2 apples next to eachother in no way constitutes as mathmatical proof of 1+1.

Comment

Working...
                              X