No announcement yet.

What was your first civ2 computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow , either you guys got civ 2 very late or you had very uptodate computers, my first experince on civ 2 was on a 486 machine, civ 2 had already been out a while then, but pentiums werent available till that year, but i couldnt afford latest computer, so bought a 486 ... now i have a pent III but wish i had a PIV ...
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

my first civ2 experience was on a powermac 75mhz 16mb ram, and now i run civ2 on a 486 at a blazing speed of 66mhz, ram is pretty decent though at 74 MB.

Comment

Pentium 120...16 MB RAM...2 MB V-RAM...1.2 GB harddisk

Comment

Mine was a Escom P100 with 16MB of RAM, and it ram great on it.
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I've always used my Compaq crash-o-matic: Pentium 166 MHz, 4 Gig HD. It's gotten better, thankfully, as long as I'm careful . . .

Comment

I'm surprised to see a 386 on the list because the CIV II manual says a 486 is required. Not only that but a few people voted for the 386. I guess the manual is wrong?
              "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
              --

Comment

and i still use it once in a while...

I have another one, P 133 w/ 20 MB RAM...
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Mine was a 1994 pentium Packard Bell with 8Mb of RAM, 44MHz CPU, and a 800Mb hard drive. Currently I have a 2000 AMD k6 Nobilis with 128Mb of RAM, 650MHz CPU, and 20Gb hard drive

Comment

Civ I on an 8086 with external HD (10 megs). Civ II on a 386/16 with small HD (1.2 gig?). Had to buy a cd-rom for that rig just to play. Both were below minimum manual-stated requirements; both handled their version of Civ quite well, although Savegames had to be handled to keep disk-space open. Sid has always been a very friendly designer in terms of machine capability. It's not the graphics that matter, its the game! Note: the 386 would not handle diplomacy screens and Wonder movies, but both can be turned off.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

A 386 for Civ I; a Pentium I for Civ II
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

P166 for Civ2
                        386sx (no 387 FPP, 20MHz, 4MB RAM, 80MB FDD) for Civ1

Civ2 came in March 1996, and Pentiums had been out for some time then. I got my P166 in october that year, and it was a pretty top-of-the-line machine at that time (32MB RAM, 1,2 GB disk). Everybody laughed at me, said that my memory purchase was overkill. Then just a few month later, P-MMX came, and I felt like I was cheated.
                        These days, my handheld outperforms my Civ1 computer, and both my laptops can run in wide rings around the Civ2 PC.

Comment

Working...
                        X