X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 03-18-2001 06:23 AM
    Marko, you've got mail!
    Short log coming up after these messages...
    Carolus

Good Carolus, now you also must play sucession games AND a chess game. Because, if I understand correctly, you also play MP, it could give me the edge in our David vs Goliath contest.

------------------
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 03-18-2001 10:41 AM
      Because, if I understand correctly, you also play MP, it could give me the edge in our David vs Goliath contest.

You're killing me softly (and have been doing so for the last couple of moves) in that chess game, Julius!

But I will soon post a reply...

Carolus

Comment

Well, what should I say.. the situation isn't too bright for us. Now I understand the true sense of Hueij's words in SG's tag..

We have a size 3 Rome with one warrior garrisioned, that means we must keep one worker as elvis to avoid riot. We have three shields (as barbs destroyed the wine mine). Of those one goes to the chariot support, which leaves only two to Colossus building. It will take 57 turns with two shield..

Here is my log:

-2050: Traded monarchy for masonry with the French, they demand currecy, we give that and as gift CoL + warrior code. They are cordial but refuse the alliance
        -2000: Barb horse escaped and our warrior is safe! The other warrior closest to Rome tries to kill the barb archer who is blocking his way back to Rome. Well, this wasn't poor warrior's lucky day It was very close though
        -1850: Wine mined, hut: Trade!!!-->French
        -1500: Chariot returned home, elvis got fired immediately!
        -1400: Hut: barb archer & legion , we bury our brave warrior under a big oak
        -1300: French demands 50g from us, we refuse, war (sigh)
        -1200: Writing-->Literacy
        -1050: Colossus (finally!)
        -1000: Rome will grow to S4 next turn and a warrior will be completed as well to maintain martial law

During my millenium I could only build the Colossus. I decided not to rushbuild it; I could have done it four turns before, but thought we can spend the gold (139 or something) better. Wonder shield is 4g when improvement shield is only 2g and we haven't got library yet..

The diplomacy situation is grim too.. we have only met the French who is extremely hostile to us. We really need to find the other AI's soon

Save game is sent to EST & SG. Good luck!

Comment

Malignantx & Hueij have joined - see first post - I have two new save games that I have put in the first post ...
          I believe EST is off skiing in Austria - it would be best if we skipped him this time round - I hAV forwarded the save to skrobism ...

------------------
          Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven
          [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited March 19, 2001).]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 03-18-2001 01:23 PM
            You're killing me softly (and have been doing so for the last couple of moves) in that chess game, Julius!
            But I will soon post a reply...

Yeah, since your Queen moved to g3, I think I've got the edge. My last "quiet" move, Rook to c5, should leave you in deep trouble.

------------------

Comment

If you can forgive me, for once (but only once) taking 2 weeks for playing 15 turns in the AI headstart sucession game, I'm also willing to join this one. I'm in many games, but the OCC, the gigamap and the lighnting should finish pretty soon, so I think I can handle this one too.

------------------

Comment

OK Julius, I think we have to let you in just to even things up a bit for Carolus -- see the first post ...

------------------
                Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                - Paul Craven

Comment

I got the save. I will try to play to night.

------------------
                  Please use this email:
                  theidiots@yahoo.com or
                  skrobism@linuxfreemail.com
                  "Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."
                  Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

SG,
                    I like the way you are organizing this thread with all other updates at the top. Good idea.

------------------
                    Please use this email:
                    theidiots@yahoo.com or
                    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

First, I changed my username 'Marko_Polo' --> 'Marko Polo' by removing the unnecessary underscore from my nic. In the process I seemed to lose my post count as well

Then to my proposition: we have now 8 players. I was thinking that could we split to make two teams 4 players each? The second team would start from 3050BC save so that the game start would we coherent for both teams. It's not too late to do that because only 4 players have been involved yet. IMHO we could have these advantages by doing this:

(1) with two teams we could compete like we do in the current OCC succession game. That would be fun!

(2) we all get to continue the game sooner

I have been thinking why so many succession games seem to start with great enthusiasm but then the commitment of the players seem to wither during the course of time. I have one explanation: if there are too many players you'll get detached from the game. I mean, when you get the game next time too much have changed since you left the game to your successor. You'll lose the feel of continuation which is one of the basic element in Civ-games. The very essense that keeps you addicted to the game.. am I right?

Well, does my idea get any support? I don't want to impose my opinion here and want to say that I can live with 8 players as well if the majority wants it. Just trying to get more out of these succession games!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Marko Polo on 03-21-2001 05:01 AM
                        First, I changed my username 'Marko_Polo' --> 'Marko Polo' by removing the unnecessary underscore from my nic. In the process I seemed to lose my post count as well

A few weeks ago we lost our post count! Email Dan or Mark they should be able to help.

------------

SG(2)

Comment

Marko Polo,
                          It's ok with me, but I guess it is up to SG who started the thread/game. Just tell me who to pass the save file to.

Anyone,
                          Speaking of feeling disconnected from a dying game. What happened to the AKC game?

------------------
                          Please use this email:
                          theidiots@yahoo.com or

Comment

I think johnmcd is playing the AKC game.
                            ---------
                            SG(2)

Comment

I think if we keep rigidly to the 72 hour rule we will overcome the disconnection problem - sometimes that will mean only playing one or two turns - maybe even a fractional turn - for my money stay with the eight players and pass to Hueij ...

------------------
                              Scouse Git[1]

- Paul Craven

Comment

Speaking of 72 hours...
                                The past 2 nights have crazy with sick kids. No time at home, and get this, for some nutty reason the boss won't let me play at work. I am passing the game to Hueij untouched. I'll catch it the next time around.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X