No announcement yet.

Do you play with the map grid on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to always have it on until I got my 19" monitor. With the new monitor the diaginal lines look very jagged and look like sh!t. so I only turn them on to verify my city grid before building a new city.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by George Garrett on 03-20-2001 02:31 PMI've tried DrFell's suggestion of clicking on the right-hand map, but no joy...yet on my map-editor the co-ordinates are plainly to be seen.

Try clicking the right mouse button on the main map. It's also worth noting that you can move the blinking cursor with the arrow keys once you're in this mode. Press the "V" key to go back to normal mode.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 03-20-2001 11:22 AM
        Grid always off, because the white lines mess the map up.

Paul, how do you turn them off in MP? I downloaded a file for Civ 2 that took care of it, but haven't found one for MP.

I copied the icons.gif from 2.42 into my MP directory. That's the iconsb.gif from the 2.42 patch, which you should rename to icons.gif to get rid of the white grid. It also works in the MP version. I don't play the MP version often, but I have never noticed any problems with this.

Comment

Grid off - you soon get used to it and the aesthetics arem greater - but SG(2) prefers it on - see above -- so when we play together it goes on...

------------------
          Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

i prefer the grid on too.... normal settings for the zoom..... i guess whatever the default is. I played with it off for awhile and almost went stark raving mad. I noticed my military advisor complained of heavy losses and the city coordinator crying foul with poorly laid cities
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Thanks, DaveV -will try this

Comment

Map grid on, always! I prefer the default zoom level becuase of the unit clarity but sometimes late in the game on a large map I will zoom out a couple of levels to make moving units easier.

John-SJ

Comment

I use it off, with the standard zoom level (at a 1024*768 screen resolution) and only use the grid to fit cities as perfectly as possible
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Always on in the early game, when knowing the exact content of each and every square is so critical; off otherwise for aesthetic reasons, unless doing some serious city planning...

Standard zoom is typical, but changed as needed.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Grid off (reason: aesthetics), unless I need to take a look in a new city location or to control some trirremes.
                      Standard zoom (Shift+z).
                      :::::::::::::
                      Craftsman

Comment

Grid always on. I made the mistake of not switching it off and learning to play without it and now it's too late. The terrain looks so much better without tho. Oh, well

I play one «zoom» closer than the regular because for some reason the untis feel more «real» to me like that. As the game advances I zoom in and out according to the needs of quick orientatio.

Comment

Hello, paiktis22!

Try again! If you like realism, than your games are going to be more realistic without that grid annoying the landscape view...
                          My very first games were with the grid. But I felt that I was missing something with that grid polluting my view... So I turned it off!
                          I became a little confused on the beggining, but it is worth the effort!

Thanks for your time!

Craftsman

Comment

Always grid on, standard zoom.

Comment

Off, except for city placement or if I'm sending a bomber over a distance.
                              Zoom 1 or 2 out.

------------------
                              Yoga Flame
                              Yoga Flame

Comment

Always off... otherwise is ugly. I don't feel surprised that Jay Bee felt the same... I guess that all scenario creators/players turn off the grid... I even create my maps with the grid off...
                                "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                                X