Do you play with the map grid on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you play with the map grid on?

Well, I do. It's the only way I can be sure to move my units the way I intended to. It takes a little away from the illusuion of moving through real terrain, but after a while, you hardly notice it. Anyway, this works for me. I also like to have the game run at the medium zoom in-rate, that is Shift-Z. Occasionally, I'll switch to the medium zoom out-rate, Shift-X - mainly when I have to move ships over relatively long distances.

What are your preferences? Grid on or off, and what kind of zoom?

I play with the grid on. I've tried with it off, and it just doesn't feel right. But considering I'm an old board gamer...

As far as the Zoom goes, I play on the default setting, because that's what I'm used to.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I used to, when I first started playing, but I prefer to play without it now.

Comment

Grid on, always. I'd be lost without it. I even like the highlighted city radius that so offends some purists, since it helps me in laying out my cities. I nearly always play on the standard zoom (shift-z), since that setting looks the best to me. I zoom out sometimes late in the game when I get tired of the screen recentering constantly.

Edited to change "zoom in" to "zoom out" in the last sentence.
        [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited March 20, 2001).]

Comment

Grid off, always. I find the grid very aestethically unpleasant. Once you're used to it, the mistakes in unit moving are practically nil. Zoom at default too.

Comment

Grid off. Except when planning cities or moving triremes.
            Zoom: one or two levels below default.(zoomed in) Also, as the game progresses I tend to zoom out.
            Hasdrubal's Home.
            Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 03-20-2001 08:23 AM
              But considering I'm an old board gamer...

You also, eh? I started back in 76. I play with the grid off. I put it on to figure out city placement, and to see what areas need to be developed, but it goes right back off. I use maximum zoom, as I don't see to well anymore.

------------------
              All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
              I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
              i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Grid on, but not the white city grid. That just looks ugly. Standard zoom, because that's what I'm used to. When I play a comparison game that was started by someone else the first thing I do is change all the options to my own preferences.

Comment

Grid always off, because the white lines mess the map up.

Paul, how do you turn them off in MP? I downloaded a file for Civ 2 that took care of it, but haven't found one for MP.

Zoom is one level in (I think) for sharper looking graphics.

Carolus

Comment

The grid is always off, just for aesthetic reasons. I don't find it at all difficult to lay out cities properly or move units. You get used to it not being there, and it looks better.

------------------
                    "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
                    -Philip of Macedon
                    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                    intelligence to few.

Comment

Grid always on, otherwise the salvage companies become too rich on my triremes. I zoom in and out frequently.
                      --------
                      SG(2)
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I usually play with the grid on - medium zoom.

------------------
                        Please use this email:
                        theidiots@yahoo.com or
                        skrobism@linuxfreemail.com
                        "Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."
                        Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Winston, et al.:

I play with the map grid off, except when placing cities. Then it's on to make sure I get the maximum specials possible within the city's radius.

CYBERAmazon
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I play with the grid on - mainly because of my cities. I want to make sure they are close enough to be connected but not overlapping each other...and the best way for this is to have the grid turned on.
                            Concerning the zoom level, I leave it at its default setting since I'm use to it that way

Comment

I find the grid essential to my play...if one miscalculates a target location, vital units could be lost (tiremes, besieging stacks, etc). I especially like it for "plotting" the course of my longer sea voyages.
                              It's never occured to me to use other than the default zoom...I must try it.
                              I was puzzled by the reference to cities...I wasn't aware that (in Civ2 anyway)there was an alternative way that they could be shown? And while we're on the subject of grids, can anyone tell me how/if I can show the co-ordinates on my playing map (Civ2)? I've tried DrFell's suggestion of clicking on the right-hand map, but no joy...yet on my map-editor the co-ordinates are plainly to be seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X