What's your favorite moment in a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rufus T. Firefly, et al.:

I especially enjoy blowing enemy colony ships from Earth orbit — which usually happens after I've sacked an enemy capital and executed the leadership. Even better if the nation then is torn asunder by civil war ... makes it that much easier to mop up the remnants.

CYBERAmazon
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Exploring the unknown in the first few turns and then swiftly conquering an annoying neighboring civilization.

------------------
      Sulla-The last dictator of Rome before Caesar. He changed Rome and Rome sure as hell changed him.
      Sulla-The last dictator of Rome before Caesar. He changed Rome and Rome sure as hell changed him.

Comment

I like the early turns, exploring. Similar to the Gits, I like, "Leonardo's Workshop upgrades all Settlers to Musketeers." I also enjoy making an enemy civ my *****. You know that Civ that first claims that they want peace and then start making all sorts of demands. Well, I can play that game, too. Soon that Civ is offering money for peace treaties that mean nothing to me except for the gifts. I do like that.

Edit: I have been censored. I apologise. I meant to type "my whipping boy"

------------------
        "Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."
        [This message has been edited by skrobism (edited February 26, 2001).]
        Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Discovering trade..... then building the infamous project........

A real rush is when my trireme survives that daring dash across the seas ..... well before seafaring and such..... however one of my favorite sounds is that of the boat sinking at sea
          [This message has been edited by War4ever (edited February 27, 2001).]
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

robotics

'nuff said

Comment

While I do enjoy the early exploration and wonder competition, my favorite time is when I am ready to conquer an opponent and he sends me a message that he will give me all his gold and knowledge if I will let him live.

Comment

Leonardo's Workshop upgrades all dragoons to calvary

Comment

naaaah...

___ scientists discover Railroad

Comment

The first few turns. There is something infinitely romantic about that single settler, unaware of the world, his destiny, his opportunities and perils...
                    Hasdrubal's Home.
                    Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

I take mine back, nothing beats the time when that irritatingly agressive civ (usually the mongols) declares war after I fail to pay them tribute or give them tech or some imagined insult (does ghengis NEED a reason?)
                      he then ticks me off royally by wiping out a settler or two, and I retaliate by reducing a city or two

the good part comes when he comes pleading for peace and offers ME tribute for a cease fire.

that's really hard to beat
                      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I've been playing far too much OCC lately... doing the 'we love the Consul' thing to get your little one-city republic up to 21 citizens, getting 300 gold tributes, and getting a spaceship launch before the AI comes close to starting all rate pretty highly.

In general games, having your elephant-crusader horde wipe out not one, but two of your neighbours (with those cute diplomatic offering about how they'll give you all of their gold if you sign a peace agreement, just moments before you take their last city). Mwah ha ha!!!

Comment

My favorite time?
                          capturing the enemy city mutilating and torturing all the men, raping and enslaving all the women, roasting the children over a slow fire, burning the fur off their pets, Oh, Wait a minute, I was getting the game confused with reality again.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

The perfectionist in me loves to hear "Ode to Joy" as my cities celebrate my magnificent leadership. However, I play civ to crush lowly neighbors. Nothing beats egging one on to sneak attack me, then annihilating his empire, turning a deaf ear to his groveling for a cease fire. The silly fools should have paid tribute...
                            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                            intelligence to few.

Comment

When I realise that I am the largest Civ on Earth and no one can beat me. That usually happens just as I am killing my most hated enemy.
                              "Success is never final."
                              --Winston Churchill

"America is too great for small dreams."
                              --Ronald Reagan

"The first rule is not to lose. The second rule is to not forget the first one."
                              --Warren Buffett

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse on 02-25-2001 06:33 PM
                                Triggering civil wars.

hahaha Why am I not surprised?

My favorite is the moment that I finally link my rail line up to the next most powerful (or more powerful) civ's rail line. Once that occurs, a long awaited onslaught of howitzers and spies takes place and cities fall like flies. I usually try and cut a line straight down the middle and cut him off as best as possible.

Usually, it's been a costly campaign to do this, either I have to cross a vast distance unprotected, or cut through another civ to get to the one I want. So it's alot of work, but once the results pay off, oh man, do they pay off.

Mess with me, will you bastard!!!

But then usually the AI blasts me with like 6 nukes the next turn.

I'm not a multiplayer stud like some of you guys though, so I doubt that would work there...
                                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X