The ultimate war!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ultimate war!!!

i'm playing against my freind(he's playing as the celts). all other civs were killed btween 1800-1890 ad.
    the map is the premade world (large). we have nuked each other so many time the world has gone thru 12 global warmings. i've lost about 200 units, the enemy has lost around the same. we keep capturting and liberating cities. when it went to 2020, we agreed that we had to finish it, no matter how long it took. it's now 4000ad. right now, we each have around 100 something units, (mainly tanks, transports, and battle ships, with a couple rifle men and partisans) i have something like 55 cities. he has 49 or so. my treasury is 8000 gold.i don't know how rich he is. so far neither one of us has been able to maintain an offensive for long. his cities all have sam's, city walls, and sdi's. same goes for me. anyway, COULD SOMEBODY GIVE ME SOME TIPS, SUGGESTIONS, SOMETHING!!! PLEASE!!!

------------------
    "our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
    "oh, yeah. well, our nukes are backed by 100%money back guarantee, so there."
    [This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited January 13, 2001).]

Spies
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

tried it. they always get killed way before they can bribe anything. his territoray is very well defended. only tanks can even get close to his cities.

Comment

spies & tanks & mech have the same movement factor, move them stacked.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I agree with the spies. Use them in droves to KO the city defenses, but have Artillery and Mech Inf to take the city soon after the defenses are gone, as he can easily rush build them back. Also, what are your respective governments?
          "The Tyrant dies and his rule ends. The Martyr dies and his rule begins."
          -Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

both fundies.

Comment

You should have a rather large treasury then! Have you considered buying off the cities or poisoning the water so the cities cannot produce war machines as fast?

This may degenerate into a CIA/KGB type conflict
              -Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

I'd try an overwhelming attack, heading for his capital in a straight line. Attack him from whatever direction you can get to his capital the fastest, and hit him with about 6 carriers full of nukes and helicopters, plus as many transports full of howies and mechs as you can swing.

The goal would be to grab his capital, and, on the way, grab some cities. Remember, even if he recaptures the cities you take, you have the net gain, since he's lost time and production counter-attacking.

Alternatievly, you could try beating him up with air and naval power, using battleships and stealth fighters/bombers to grind down his defenses and isolate cities, then invade...

Just MHO, though...

-KhanMan
                Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
                -KhanMan

Comment

Try employing a strategy of burned earth. Ravage and destroy anything that might be useful to the opponent.
                  Pillage irrigation, mines, roads, railroads unless you can use them, and fortresses unless you can use them.
                  Capture a city, sell of as many improvments as you can, make sure to take in all workers so to starve it and use no more than a single unit to defend it. Repeat the process as often as possible with as many cities and also ravage the cities with spies.

Are you close enough to use paratroopers? Use them in numbers to take undefended cities and strategic positions in order to disrupt the ability to deploy troops freely. But you will need a long breath and a lot of time since you both have SDIs.

------------------
                  Mathias' Civ II Page
                  http://members.nbci.com/thalys
                  The Lost Geologist Blog
                  http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

There is, of course, the possible fact that both of you are so evenly matched, that continued attacks by either side are utterly futile.

So, to resolve your game, you could agree to a "cease fire" for, say 20 turns or so, whereupon you two will gather your entire military force (city garrisions and all) on a declared "neutral ground" (a moderately-sized island would work), where upon the end of the 20 turns, proceed to have the two militaries duke it out in a final showdown. Reinforcements would not be allowed- only what you could send over in 20 turns (or whatever time frame you two agree on) would be declared the winner of the game and have the ravaged planet as the reward.

Bragging rights, too
                    -Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Head off to AC.

Comment

Burned earth, with selling all the improvements of all the captured cities as soon as possible. Broke the road just in front of, fly out and stand in the neigbourhood to capture it again to make these cities quickly weak or bloodless, spies to destroy a max OR to stop the war and begin another one with a new spirit.
                        Give us some war report!
                        Mike.doc

Comment

The best thing to do would probably wage a war with spies. Although costly you may be able to turn the tables with a massive push or spies to bribe/kill his units and then your own to join the fray.
                          If your able to send 20 spies and bribe 5 units with 20 or so units of your own you may be able to take and hold 4 or 5 cities. A few of these attacks and the war is over. But if you can use 40 spies or so and buy his cities and then his units too and then take 3 or 4 cities with a solid defense the game is yours!!! Anyway...

Is there anyway I could get a copy of this game (from like 3000 ad or 4000ad)? I would like to try it with a friend of mine. Sounds pretty cool!!!

------------------
                          "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
                          "If LESS is MORE, just think of how much MORE, MORE would be!"
                          I AM CANADIAN!
                          Civfanatics.com Civ 2 Multiplayer Ladder!
                          My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
                          I AM CANADIAN!
                          Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
                          CornEmpire Owner/Operator
                          Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 01-13-2001 01:41 PM
                            Spies

I agree that spies are the way to go. Being a vindictive warmonger myself, I thrive on conflict so here is how I would proceed....

1) Go for the capitol. You take out his palace and everything goes to $%## in a handbasket for him. (I know on a single player game that if you take out the capitol, it splits the nation into 2 separate factions - don't know what it would do on a multiplayer game though - but I'm sure it would be NASTY)

2) Use spies to sabatoge things like city walls, SAM batteries, and poison the water supply.

3) Then you can nuke the capitol creating all kinds of pollution thus diminishing his production even further.

Alternately, if you send enough units to surround the capitol in the 24 tiles around it, you can starve them out but this takes way too much time and you risk troops from other cities coming along to take out your attrition force.

------------------
                            "My dear girl don't flatter yourself.
                            What I did this evening was for king and
                            country. You don't think it gave me any
                            pleasure do you?

--- James Bond
                            [This message has been edited by niteowl (edited January 15, 2001).]
                            Read my SMAC fiction @ http://apolyton.net/forums/register.php?a=act&u=8338&i=978930000

Give your comments @ http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8530

Comment

What about the landscape types? How many coastline tiles do you both have? Maybe you have just a bit better landscape for global warming, so another 12 global warmings would kill him but save you.

Comment

Working...
                              X