• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to call my people the Urantians,
    I got the name from the urantia book
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I don't use custom civs, however I usually found many cities in my games and thus must look at atlases to find extra cities.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Victorians (Oz state inhabitants that is), so I can use the cities and towns with well-known geography - a real plus for locating them quickly.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 10-07-2000 04:15 PM
          I don't use custom civs, however I usually found many cities in my games and thus must look at atlases to find extra cities.

I have a world map right behind my computer (3*2m)

Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I play the Ferrets. (annoying little creatures that get into everything)

Capital
            Ferretown
            Other cities
            Burrows
            Damnation
            Thelma &
            Louise
            Katieland (my daughter Katie always checks to make sure i've created one)
            Guardtown
            Borderland
            Spytown
            HAHA (if i can get one within two squares of another capital)
            Gotherefirst
            And many variations of specials. (i.e. Goldy, Mosstown, Silkland)
            and what ever the situation calls for.

RAH
            Lord of the Ferrets
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I ought to try doing this sometime. I'd have to play as the Cretonians. In the tenth grade (circa 1965), I developed a sort of Diplomacy game within my high school. I recruited people to be in charge of planets in my empire while I ruled the planet Creton.

Wouldn't you know it, though? One of my classmates decided to revolt, developed the "Myriads of Hydra" and my empire fell apart.

Oh, well. C'est la guerre.

------------------
              Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
              Frodo lives!

Comment

I have a Rand McNally "Histomap of World History" map in my office. It gives plenty of geographical information to choose tribes (i.e. Hittites, Minoan, Amorites, etc) with cities and leaders names also!

It's very cool to have next to my National Geographic maps of Asia, Europe, the Americas, etc. No more room for my diploma!
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Well, I like to play as the Terran Alliance or simply Terrans or Alliance (usually the Romans or Americans renamed). If not, then I play as the Russians, with Moscow or St. Petersburg renamed Antlergrad ( ).

Comment

In my very first game, I played as the Celts. As an Irishman, I was dismayed to see Cardiff as the very boring name for the first city, so I decided on cartoon characters. Homer was my capital, followed by Snoopy, Dilbert, Garfield etc.

These days, I occasionally play as the Celts, using the towns and vilages of the west of Ireland; or as the Golfers (capital: St Andrews) or the Scientists (Einstein, Darwin, Newton etc). I once played a game as Frank Lloyd Wright, with Oak Park as my capital, and Taliesin, Fallingwater, Guugenheim museum etc, but ran out of buildings.

When I get to Naples using normal Civs, I try to make city names that are puns on the language or people. So German cities are named Mercedes, BMW, Kohl, etc; Greek/ROman cities are Stadium, Uranium, Criterion, Ultimatum etc.

It makes me laugh....

Comment

Emperor Catullus of the Dead Poets has seized the position of the Carthaginians in rules.txt along with his beloved empress Lesbia.
                      Cities: Ovid, Shakespeare, Coleridge, Ibsen, Vergil, Cervantes, Snorri, Whitman...

C.

Comment

Rufus T. Firefly of the Freedonians, of course. My first four cities are Grouchopolis, Chicopolis, Harpopolis, and Zeppopolis; Laurelton, Hardyton, Chaplinton, and Keaton follow hard behind, as does West Mae.

In another movie-referential bit of naming, I also recently played my first OCC as Grand Duchess Gloriana XII of Grand Fenwick. Seemed appropriate, and a little cross-dressing didn't bother Peter Sellers so why should it bother me?

------------------
                        Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
                        -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I often play the Amberites from Roger Zelazny's SF books.

City list example:

Amber City (capital)
                          Kolvir
                          Garnath
                          Arden
                          Cabra
                          Rebma
                          Kashfa
                          Eregnor
                          Begma
                          Keep o'4 worlds
                          Courts of Chaos
                          Avalon
                          Lorraine
                          Unicorn
                          Serpent
                          Ghostwheel

etc. etc.

------------------
                          If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I am going to try this. Become Father Beast of The Beasts.
                            Beastopolis
                            Beast city
                            Beastown
                            and others much like the Chrisonians. Speaking of which - Good Hell, Christantine, you really go overboard on this. I just visited your Chrisonian republic home page. the whole thing dedicated to your civ empire?!?

(ahem)

anyway I was thinking also of suitable titles:
                            anarchy - That Guy
                            Despotism - Boss
                            Monarchy - ?
                            Republic - Council Leader
                            Democracy - Prez
                            Communism - Big Boss
                            Fundamentalism - High Lord

So which file do I alter. Rulers.txt?
                            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

It was a personal test to see if I could build a web page. I'm not that insane.

------------------
                              "Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"

The Official Webpage of the Chrisonian Republic

The Viking Archives

The MGE Succession Game Team. Sign Up Today!
                              "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                              "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                              "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Working...
                              X