Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does the no limits patch mess up the MGE ingame editors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the no limits patch mess up the MGE ingame editors?

I like the ingame editors in MGE but I want the large random maps so does no limits destroy the MGE ingamer?
    ffffffffffffffffffff

Yes

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

ok so I'll have 2 installs of MGE
      ffffffffffffffffffff

Comment

Originally posted by twoflower
        ok so I'll have 2 installs of MGE
        I have about 6 or 7 different installs of various civ versions - modpacks, etc.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

It only screws up the editors because of a flaw in the menu.txt and/or game.txt that came with it. There is a fix on these forums somewhere...

This thread, I think:

In any case, the text files are not necessary to make the no-limits patch work. I believe the only differences are that the civ2 version number is changed ("no-limits" added, or so), and the map menu says maps can be up to 32767.

If you still have problems, restore the old text files. You'd still have the no-limits (even though the version won't say so), and you can still make gigamaps (even though the menu doesn't think so).

Still, it IS wise to have both installed (that is, "vanilla" MGE and no-limits MGE), but you can do that simply by renaming one of the executables. Just like people with the CiC and FW add-ons will have civ2.exe (FW), civ2scen.exe (CiC) and civ2orig.exe (2.42, if they patched it, that is), and can still run all of them too.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

If you still have problems, restore the old text files. You'd still have the no-limits (even though the version won't say so), and you can still make gigamaps (even though the menu doesn't think so).
            Thanks, I didn't know that.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Mercator is correct.
              All changes on the no-limit add-on are on the .exe file.
              The game.txt and menu.txt changes are of decoration value.
              The mistake from the menu comes from the fact I own the french version of MGE where there was slight changes from the english version that I didn't know about.
              Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Working...
              X