Favorite Pre-Made Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Pre-Made Map

What's your favorite pre-made-map, and why?

I personally like maps of Europe and Middle Earth. I also like maps that have both Europe and America on it but not the rest of the world. I don't really maps of the world, don't know why, maybe because I'm tired of them, maybe because I don't like the terrain and form of land.
    But I play on all kinds of maps, not just the ones mentioned above.

Dr. Oogkloot, et al.:

I generally prefer two pre-made maps:

1. Earth (Large)
    2. Northern Hemisphere

I have made some terrain modifications to both maps to suit my personal tastes and enjoy playing on them (well, most of the time).

CYBERAmazon
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

1. large earth
      2. the europe map that came with FW in the atlantis scenario, atlantis overpainted with ocean... the europe map that came with the orig civ2 sucks

Comment

1. Europe PW (right here at Apolyton)
        2. Mercator's Earth
        3. Mars
        4. My stupid map, "Essence of Civ" (two large, letter sea continents with thin, Bosporous like channels leading to main bays)
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Well, for what it's worth, if I want to win a game a play on either the world map and take Americans, or on the European map and take Russians. With the former, I can build all around the coastlines and with the latter, I can built defensive cities to the East and expand West...

I'm bad enough so that those can still be a challenge if I don't attack the AI civs and let them develop. At deity level, of course, and with raging tribes...

------------------
          Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...
          Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

This may be a silly question, but ...
            except for historical scenarios and the like what is the point of playing on a pre-made map? After all the discovery of the unknown is one of the best aspects of the game.
            Maybe I have missed the point

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
            "The Great Library must be built!"
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Pre-made maps can have all kinds of forms, they can have lots of very small islands or one huge continent or almost only arctic terrain or almost only mountain or almost only ocean or very weird-shaped continents, whereas random maps are always more or less the same. Besides, I just think it's fun to play on a map I know from the real world or from a book. From a game-strategic point of view random maps might be a little better, but pre-made maps are usually more interesting IMO.

Which leads me to something else: does anyone ever play on the maps roof.map (himalaya) and a map that's just made of ice with rivers and good terrain along the rivers (I think it's called ice.mp)? In my experience these maps lead to interesting games.
              [This message has been edited by Dr.Oogkloot (edited September 01, 2000).]
              [This message has been edited by Dr.Oogkloot (edited September 01, 2000).]

Comment

Maybe I should make this my next area of "exploration" in the world of Civ.

I've progressed from Settler to Deity, done OCC, ICS, and all points in between, but I have always played on a computer generated random map. A question I would have about scenarios and maps would be how accurate are they? Do they play pretty much according to history?

That's the wonderful thing about Civ, I guess. No matter what you are currently finding engrossing, there's always something more.

------------------
                Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                Frodo lives!

Comment

The latge World map (play as Zulu's, and expand to maybe close to 100-120 cities), or as the british on the Europe map.

Andz - the next time you're on ICQ, send me that Europe map please!
                  Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
                  Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
                  Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
                  und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
                  Only when it's smooth you will see
                  How much fairy-tale is left for you
                  And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

That Europe map is HORRIBLE!
                    Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
                    Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
                    Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
                    und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
                    Only when it's smooth you will see
                    How much fairy-tale is left for you
                    And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

that Europe map is way too easy, and in my opinion if you see the map ahead of time, the game play is totally different. although many random maps have less than desired shapes, i think, and i think Scouse Gits and (2) would agree that half the fun of civ is exploring new terrain....... you can't do that with premade maps. *Scouses backing ends here*
                      I love to look at the map after i have won just to see my starting point and where the map points for me to go....... i realize one gets this with the Apollo program but i do not usually study the map as intensely then...... at anyrate i am babling now... point is the map always points out conquest either economically or physically hence my preference for random maps..... pls i hope civIII has a good random map generator
                      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

IMO the original Europe map extends too far to the east...Europe itself is too small there. I like the PW Europe map better (although it's a bit...messy. But nice)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Comrade Dan on 09-02-2000 11:01 PM
                          That Europe map is HORRIBLE!

no, it's good! its only disadvantages are:

Northern Europe is cut
                          the strange angle

Comment

I like my own map of Australia, especially when I'm trying to break a new population record.
                            I like my own map of the world, especially when I want to do a very, very quick game. I start as the Romans, pick several other European tribes with me, and try to conquer all of them with my starting settler(s)
                            Actually, I love making maps, but I hardly ever play on pre-made maps.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Merc - these aren't yours are they??

Some of these are pretty good, but most have too much ocean for the AI to deal with very well.
                              http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...apcentral.html

Be the bid!

Comment

Working...
                              X