There's this bug in my Civ II game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's this bug in my Civ II game...

Well, I mean, there must be. For the last thirty tries, it's started me out in deserts, in mountain ranges, and all kinds of wild an unproductive land, so that I can't win.

I mean, the only other explanation is that I'm an incompetent player, and nobody could believe that, could they? Could they?

Actually, bugs and all other things aside, I was stuck, on my last game, in the southern hemisphere, and everything that wasnt tundra or mountain was prairie.

At the end, when it was certain that there was no way I could catch up to any of the AI civs, let alone pass them, I cheated and looked at the map. The Persians, for instance, who appeared to be my strongest rivals, ahd gotten most of the extensive grassland patches on the planet.

So it must be a bug.

Or maybe I'm just desperate to break out from Warlord.

Jim W

Are you playing the seventh tribe on a small map? If so, I've noticed that what you describe tends to be the case.
    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Comment

Tribes get their picks for starting position in the order of appearance. Seven tribes on a randomly generated small map is often simply too crowded.

------------------
      If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

The map size you're playing is important in terms of the quality of the land. The smaller the map, the more rubbishy the land can be. The best settings for a decent chance of good land seem to be large map, small (or normal) land size and 3 billion years.

------------------
        finbar
        Mono Rules!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gothmog on 09-16-2000 07:44 AM
          Are you playing the seventh tribe on a small map? If so, I've noticed that what you describe tends to be the case.

First tribe on a big map.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

I usually play on a 75x133 random map and find that my usual starting position is either the northern or southern 1/3 of the map. Often fairly near one or other of the poles. As you noted this provides an excellent opportunity to improve your skills at winning with less than desirable terrain. Whether it is actually true or just my being grateful for any goodies that may occur in that situation, I'm not sure. But, it seems like I get more silks and whales than I do when I get the middle 1/3 of the map. Although occasionally I have to settle for furs or Musk Ox. I try to run through all the tribes before I reuse one so I haven't noticed and tribal corrilations.

Ken

Comment

Jim - Trying using custom settings and play on a "wet" and older (5By) world. If you still get mostly desert and prairie and mountains then, you have a problem...
              Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
              Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
              Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
              Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 09-17-2000 02:10 PM
                Jim - Trying using custom settings and play on a "wet" and older (5By) world. If you still get mostly desert and prairie and mountains then, you have a problem...

Yikes! They're the settings that give me swamp and jungle and mountains.

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 09-17-2000 02:10 PM

What I'm trying to do is to hone my skills on a "normal" sort of world before I start taking on the special cases.

Jim

Comment

This was a joke, then?
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

The older your world is, the more broken up the terrain is -- fewer patches of a single type of terrain.
                      Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 09-18-2000 12:10 AM
                        This was a joke, then?

Well, to a certain extent, yes. However, is there a strategy to follow if you end up in a palce with very little in the way of food? I know, there is a conventional wisdom that says you go wandering around the map until you find someplace with two whales and a silkworm before you even think about settleing down.

However, in the meantime, the AI is out there bulding cities and stocking them up, so that by the time you actually meet him, you're oiutnumbered, out-gunned, and on the wrong end of a disparity of riches.

So, are there asnwers?

And I mean beyond the one that says the AI is so pitiful that you could just hit return for the first forty turns and still come out and defeat it.

Jim W

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jim W on 09-18-2000 08:52 PM

So, are there asnwers?

And I mean beyond the one that says the AI is so pitiful that you could just hit return for the first forty turns and still come out and defeat it.

Jim W

Ultimately, once you've played enough, that becomes the truth. Well, forty turns might be an exaggeration, but you can certainly afford to wander. I've wandered for up to a 1000 years and still managed to succeed.

Frankly, if your start point is rubbish land, there's little point building there. You'll take a while to overcome growth problems. Find at least a river to build on - good for defence and trade purposes - or at least one special.

------------------
                          finbar
                          Mono Rules!

Comment

I played an MP game once on a map that was mostly hills, desert, and plains. Food specials became very important - I usually don't have much use for fish, but I was hunting for them in this game! I also built a couple cities on buffalo. They didn't grow very fast, but were able to churn out lots of units for exploration and barb king hunting...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 09-19-2000 12:26 PM

BTW. I thought my version had become demon possessed last night. I went to build a road with a settler and the "Revolution?" window kept popping up. After three or four accidental revolutions, I then noticed the Caps Lock light on.

Tee-hee. I've run into the same problem at times. If you're not paying close attention, you can finish up in anarchy. Very unpleasant.

------------------
                              finbar
                              Mono Rules!

Comment

Working...
                              X