Too Many Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Many Units

I know it requires hex-editing but how do I A) Hex edit and B) Hex edit the too many units thing out?
    "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

A very simplistic answer:
    a) with a hex editor - I use hexedit.exe - do a file search you should get it
    b) don't believe that it is possible ...

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

... just wondering... the No limits patch made by Julius Brenzaida?
      googol... this is a number!
      "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
      "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

As I recall, Julius was able to override the bounds checking on number of units and cities. This just resulted in overwriting other variables, though, and the game crashed. You would have to rewrite the source code and recompile to increase the limits; it can't be patched. If you're really determined to work around the limits, try FreeCiv.

Comment

Ok, well it's only one number in there that tells the game how many can't you just change that number?
          "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

Originally posted by Choke
            Ok, well it's only one number in there that tells the game how many can't you just change that number?
            Yes, you can, but it creates problems. Let's say the programmers set aside enough memory for 1000 units (I can't remember the actual number). If you bypass the unit warning, the program will write information for the 1001st unit into memory that is set aside for storage of some other information (cities, for example). Then, when the game tries to read the data for the first city, it will read unit information instead. Some of this stored information consists of pointers to other information; when it's overwritten, the computer starts to read non-existant memory. This will cause strange things to happen, and I guarantee it will eventually crash the program and probably your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
              Let's say the programmers set aside enough memory for 1000 units (I can't remember the actual number
              2048 (or 2047, possibly).

This limit used to bug me, too, until I experienced the joy of moving 500 units in a turn!
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
              X