I'm sure I'm being an idiot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure I'm being an idiot....

Hi all, looking for some help. I just got Civ 2 in a pack with Risk and Risk 2. Played my first game, had a ball and wanted to try out some of the scenarios I've seen on the web. So I download one (then another and another) unzip them into their own directory and try to open the .scn files from within the game using the "begin scenario" button. Every time I get the good old "illegal operation" thing and it shuts the game down. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Hmm ... do you have "just" Civ II or the Civ II MPG/Gold version? I think you may need the latter to play any scenarios other than the two or three that came pre-packaged with Civ II.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The 'topped' thread "Great Library Index" (known as the GL) in the Civ2|Strategy forum starts off with a discusion of the various varieties of Civ2 - and how to tell which you have ... check this out

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Okay, it looks like I have the early version (2.42). So I'm up the creek, right?

Comment

You can get it (illegally) patched to FW or MGE here:
          Discover the latest breaking news in CA and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Schmev22
            Okay, it looks like I have the early version (2.42). So I'm up the creek, right?
            Aside from illegally upgrading There are some decent 2.42 scenarios out there. MGE ones do tend to be better, tho.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll just go out and drop the $20 or whatever for the game, assuming I can still find it somewhere. As an aside, should I just jump straight to Civ3?

Comment

If you're interested in scenarios and multiplayer, you'd better wait and see until Civ3: Play the World is released (since vanilla Civ3 doesn't have either scenarios or multiplayer). Then check a few reviews and the unavoidable flood of flames and praises from the Civ3 forum here to see if it fits your needs.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                X