No announcement yet.

Horrible OCC experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duke o' york STYOM, have you done any better than since you wrote the post here?
    I haven't really tried I don't have the patience for OCC, I think.

IIRC my best OCC was a late 1800s landing.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I have to admit that I was really just thinking out load there and that in all my OCC games I have built Darwin's. But when I play a game with the potential to give me 50 shields with a factory then I may well make a save after discovering/begging for Engineering and try both routes. A caravan per turn would be absolutely wonderful.

Comment

good bump - are we ready for another round of OCC comparison games?

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Sounds good to me. I’ve done a few OCC’s but have traded off speed for security -- so I’ve typically launched after 1900, but instead I’ve have a few extra wonders in place. My favorite candidates include Leo’s, Magellan, Marco’s, as well as Hoover (and even SETI as a defensive action.)
          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Well - if there are enough takers - SG(2) has a cornucopia of interesting starts....

SG[1]
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

"are we ready for another round of OCC comparison games?"

YES!

Deity, Medium Map, Raging Hordes...

STYOM: OCC is a faster game, so patience is minimized, except for hitting ENTER with nothing to do sometimes.

DoY: KRC is most valuable if it is built as early as possible, like during the runup to size 12 well before Sanitation. This can be difficult or impossible if competing for something crucial like Copernicus, but if AI gifting is really good you should have plenty of gold for caravan rushing. KRC also helps immensely if your SSC site is on a small island or has lots of water around it; check out the GOTM 23 start over at CFC:

Normal map Raging Hoardes Emperor level No restarts Greeks 2 settlers Bronze Working Horseback Riding Ceremonial Burial You start out as Gilligan and the castaways. zip file attached is .sav format

OnS: Hoover and SETI in OCC?

Comment

We're talking about safety & security from a tech non-gifter; no tribute, no allies, & one civ (Mongols as it turns out) was getting very large & nasty. So when they had 40% of the world, they built Hoovers & SETI & beat me to the stars.

So (a) lesson learned -- make sure that that doesn't happen again -- a good way is to build them myself. So speed was sacrificed but the spaceship was launched.

Comment

I've had my only city (the capital, duh) bribed before. How's that supposed to work?
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                    I've had my only city (the capital, duh) bribed before. How's that supposed to work?
                    That's supposed to be impossible. Are you certain that was your only city?
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Didn't someone else post that their capital had been bribed recently?
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Semi-relevant question -- if one wanders a bit popping huts, on turn 17+ you might just pop an advanced tribe, enjoying your first city without the palace . If so, by default, that becomes your "capital". Is this city bribable?

Maybe it is not the capital that is bribe-proof, but maybe it is a city with a palace in it (yes, yes i know that the terminology is the same for most of us; but some of us might have had the capital taken (palacle destroyed) then recaptured (no palace remade) and still refer to the city as "the capital".)

Similar follow-on question: is a single city remaining (with no palace, but with a defender) safe from Barbs?

Comment

I think I remember (from playing scens where some civs had many palace cities) that it's the presence of a palace that determines whether the city is bribable or not!

I'm not 100% sure, though...
                          Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                          Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                          POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                          LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

You shouldn't be able to bribe a city with a palace - regardless of which government that civ is in.

It is also impossible to get advanced tribes (or settlers or barbs) out of huts until you have founded your first city.
                            If you are dumb though, you can wander around with both your settlers for ages, finally found a city with one, pop a hut with the other and see your civ destroyed.
                            Never happened to me - honest!

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow
                              Semi-relevant question -- if one wanders a bit popping huts, on turn 17+ you might just pop an advanced tribe, enjoying your first city
                              THat 17+ has never been confirmed in my opinion.
                              We played a lot of no city founding challanges where we would go many many turns past that point and still never popped a city. Of course that was CIV gold.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, I played a game on a 105x95 map of Eurasia and I wandered around popping huts until after 2000BC. I had uncovered an area of solid land equivalent to an entire small (40x50) map. I had a couple dozen units, a hefty treasury, and quite a few techs. No Nomads, no Advanced Tribes. Don't recall if I ever got a horde.

I founded a city and within a short time had a couple Adv Tribes.
                                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                                X