Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible OCC experience

OK, here's teh story:
    I was playing this OCC game at Emperor level and everything was proceeding smoothly. I launched my space ship first and was already excited at this new milestone in my CIV history. Knowing that an OCC game at Diety level would be next really made me shaking of pure excitment!
    Knowing that I was in control of the UN and had no enemies, I started building nice stuff for my people like an SDI defense and a coastal fortress when suddenly I noticed enemy troops approaching.
    All right, I tought, no big deal, they just want to look at the glorious multiple-million-pop Stibytown.
    WRONG, they attacked. How could this happen, I was in control of the UN so I tought this was not possible. However, 'twas definetely happening. The enemy bombers had no trouble defeating my musketeers end left-over freights. A few rush-bought mech infs didn't do the trick either, as I was soon overrun by armors.
    The most glorious city of the game destroyed, my spaceship destroyed (I never figured out how they did that, I mean they'd been away for a good couple of years already) and I suffered a humiliating loss.

My lesson for today: Never trust your friends, so it's better to build multiple mech infs than to sit back and relax!
    "I will not give you a cup of water if you were drowning in the desert!"

Just my favourite CIV-quote. :)

Stealth Fighters do it for me ,,, straight after the launch!

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

One question, btw. When you control the UN, other nations aren't allowed to sneak attack you, right?

Comment

obviously are

Comment

I don't have the manual here, but what benefits does the UN give you then???

I thought I found some sort of bug....

Comment

IIRC they must accept a cease fire - but for how long?

SG[1]
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
              IIRC they must accept a cease fire - but for how long?

SG[1]
              For one turn. I don't think that the AI civ can sneak attack you the same turn, if they accept the ceasefire during their turns.

However, if the ceasefire is granted during your turn, they can sneak attack you the next time they move... which is why I try to never, ever, make peace during my turn.

STYOM
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I feel terribly stupid. Now I've got to start all over again with an OCC emperor game. But that isn't really bad!
                However, winning on that level is still quite a challenge, IMHO.

Comment

On further reflection... how did you manage to get the UN in a OCC?

I don't OCC much, but I would think the idea is to use alliances and gifts to keep the peace before the space race starts - and then after you launch, rush as many defensive units as you can.

The 600 shields of the UN might have been better used elsewhere, maybe? Then again, my OCCs never go as planned, either.

STYOM
                  "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

... don't forget to defend heavily in the latest turns
                    googol... this is a number!
                    "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                    "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                      On further reflection... how did you manage to get the UN in a OCC?
                      STYOM
                      There is this period when all you can build is freights (or defensive units, but who needs those?). i don't recall exactly how, but I probably had plenty of freights already and had only communism as a research option.
                      Come to think of it, I guess I was able to build the UN the very next turn after I launched my SS. Hmmm, not sure...

Comment

I have yet to try OCC, I need to get a little better but boy does it sound challenging!
                        Support My ride in the fight to beat MS
                        here

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                          The 600 shields of the UN might have been better used elsewhere, maybe? Then again, my OCCs never go as planned, either.
                          A fleet of stealth fighters, perhaps?
                          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                          intelligence to few.

Comment

i usually don't even get stealth in an OCC game... then again i dont' play OCC too often
                            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

With UN, other civs offer cease fire and even peace during diplomatic talks,
                              but : they may use sneak attacks, and at this moment, they don't accept diplomatic meeting : no time to loss in discussions... It's a difficult situation because you have to survive during 2 or 3 turns before a possibility of opening a negociation screen !
                              I noticed that once the spatial ship is launched, other nearby civs became often hostile.
                              The OCC practice is taking immediate defensive measures as citywalls (if not yet), costal defense (if shore city), completing strong defense units as mechInf or armor (to counterattack), placed in fortress on key tiles (hills or isthmus...), a vet spy for counterespionnage, and stealth fighters to maintain ennemies at a good distance...(with 80 shield, one fighter/turn !)
                              This plan needs to break down science research (after derobade) and to maximize monney for rushbuying.
                              I generally can survive the years of space flight.
                              JCP
                              Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                              X