Civ2 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 problem

I am having the strangest problem. I have Test of Time and I tried installing and older original Civ 2 that I had because I wanted to use the map editor. I installed it and it won't run. I tried uninstalling all of the Civ2's and installing just the original Civ 2 and it still doesn't work. Anyone have any solutions to this?

I can't even run the mapeditor off of the original CD.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

That's strange, I have both installed and never had this problem...
    Have you already posted it in the TOT forum?
    googol... this is a number!
    "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
    "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

I've got 2.42, MPE, and ToT… couldn't get ToT to run at all until I found a no-CD hack. Get the no-CD hack for 2.42 and maybe it will be OK.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

What version of civ2 do you have, it could be the source of the problem I've heard that with XP or 2000 a few things might need to get fixed.
        Civ2 came out in 1996
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Which things have you tried running? And was ToT already running? I noticed that my Civ2 mapeditor won't start if ToT is running (and vice versa)...

Oh wait, you uninstalled ToT?

In any case, there's no need to install a previous version of Civ2 just for the mapeditor... I especially made a Civ2:ToT MapEditor "patch", which is simply the Civ2:MGE MapEditor, slightly adjusted to allow for gigamaps, and work with ToT.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

MERCATOR, YOU ARE A GOD!!! WHERE IS IT?!!!
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
              What version of civ2 do you have, it could be the source of the problem I've heard that with XP or 2000 a few things might need to get fixed.
              Civ2 came out in 1996
              The XP/2000 (also 98/ME) thing is that you must close down absolutely everything before the installer will run without crashing. This includes some things that don't show up on the taskbar, that you have to shut down using ctrl-alt-del. I'm not sure if that's the problem here though, he doesn't say that it's the installer that's crashing. He says he installed it successfully but it doesn't run. That's a new one on me. It would help if we new exactly what happens when he tries to run it. Instant crash? Hang? Initial screens OK and then it goes wrong?

Anyway, whilst I've been writing this I've noticed that Mercator has solved the problem anyway. Nice work, Mercator: is there a download site?

Comment

Got to the Apolyton Civ2 home page http://apolyton.net/civ2 IIRC and click on 'Database' in the top lh corner ... I think that Mercator's stuff is under special - but don't shoot the messenger it's there somewhere

SG[1]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I think that Mercator's stuff is under special

Well, that would be MapEdit, but that's not what I'm talking about. Test of Time didn't come with a mapeditor like all the other Civ2 versions did, so I made a little patch with Civ2 mapeditor that came with MGE and adjusted it so that it works with ToT.

Anyway, whilst I've been writing this I've noticed that Mercator has solved the problem anyway. Nice work, Mercator: is there a download site?

There is now...
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                  X