Accessing Stacked Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing Stacked Units

You've got a couple of dozen units stacked, say, outside a city. The time comes to attack. How do you access more than about the first dozen in the stack? I mean, you've got diplos, say, in the stack, and they happen to be down the bottom. You want to use them first. How?

------------------
    Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
    Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
    Horse and Hydey Wrangler
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

I suppose you talk about pre-railroad era.

I let the diplos stay awake so they can move every turn. I just hit space bar when they blink if I don't need them until it's time to tear down walls.

Is it not possible to access them via the city window? Clicking the unit in the city that built it and choose "Centre map on unit" or does that not awake them?

Carolus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 04-22-2001 07:16 AM
      Is it not possible to access them via the city window? Clicking the unit in the city that built it and choose "Centre map on unit" or does that not awake them?

Carolus

I suppose that would do it. But it seems a complicated way of doing it. Why can't you simply access more than the first dozen or so in the stack?

------------------
      Horse and Hydey Wrangler
      Mono Rules!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Click on the square where your units are located so either a unit is selected or the terrain tile they're standing on is outline in white. Then, press [A] (on your Keyboard) and you get a list of all units standing there. Move the selection Box with the cursor keys to your diplo and hit [Enter] or again [A] I dont remember OR you can also click on the unit(s) and awake them, by doing so, you can even awake multiple units.

Comment

Thanks, Fugger, it's been driving me ratty!

------------------
          Horse and Hydey Wrangler
          Mono Rules!

Comment

An alternate method would be to hit (W)ait until the unit you want pops up.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

{units}
              {}{SlowThinker}

------------------------------
              This is a post with keywords. See The Great Library: a hierarchical structure" thread.
              Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Monk on 04-22-2001 05:50 PM
                An alternate method would be to hit (W)ait until the unit you want pops up.

Tried that. You just cycle and recycle through the first dozen (or so) units in the stack. Getting beyond that first dozen (or so) has been the problem.

------------------
                Horse and Hydey Wrangler
                Mono Rules!

Comment

Why would a peacelover like you have more than 12 units in a stack finbar? Hmmm? Hmmm?

------------------
                  Its over.

Comment

Finbar, you should be able to access all the unfortified units in the stack. simply avoid fortifying the units.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse on 04-22-2001 08:20 PM
                      Why would a peacelover like you have more than 12 units in a stack finbar? Hmmm? Hmmm?

You misunderstand me. I'm not a peacelover. My problem with war is my low boredom threshhold - I don't have the slightest interest in military chess games. You do.

------------------
                      Horse and Hydey Wrangler
                      Mono Rules!
                      [This message has been edited by finbar (edited April 22, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by GP on 04-22-2001 08:46 PM
                        Finbar, you should be able to access all the unfortified units in the stack. simply avoid fortifying the units.

Well, yes, but then they're in danger of being walloped.

------------------
                        Horse and Hydey Wrangler
                        Mono Rules!

Comment

My problem is telling apart the stacks of NONE engineers when trying to use Xin Yu's method of terraforming a square in one turn. all my NONE engineers look alike, and there's no city screen I can use.
                          it can be a hassle if I've gone and stacked about 20 on a square...
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by finbar on 04-22-2001 08:57 PM
                            Well, yes, but then they're in danger of being walloped.

I'm not sure I understand the word walloped, but if you mean wiped out I don't think fortifying in a fortress will help. I always do it (old habits die hard), but I think it's without effect to fortify in a fortress.

If this is desinformation, please let me know.

Carolus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 04-23-2001 01:13 AM
                              I'm not sure I understand the word walloped, but if you mean wiped out I don't think fortifying in a fortress will help. I always do it (old habits die hard), but I think it's without effect to fortify in a fortress.

If this is desinformation, please let me know.

Carolus

Walloped = hit very, very, very hard = in this context, wiped out. Excuse the Oz vernacular. Actually, there wasn't a fortress. I didn't have a settler for a million miles and I was in a hurry to wipe out the civ in question. I don't know whether fortifying in a fortress adds anything either. Good question. I'm sure someone will look in and give us an answer.

------------------
                              Horse and Hydey Wrangler
                              Mono Rules!
                              [This message has been edited by finbar (edited April 23, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X