No announcement yet.

movies & CIV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you are right, johnmcd. Maybe they are Vet. Warriors.

Submarine vs. Destroyer (U-571)
    "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
    "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
    "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Pol Pot, are you referring to 'Das Boot' a film about a U boat crew? The title was not translated for the UK but served to confuse younger viewers who may have put off watching it for reasons of assumed dullness...
      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

hey, is the movie Beast of War about a soviet tank in like afghanistan?
        Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible

Comment

"Das Boot" was an awesome movie, I thought it was better than U-571 (the explosions were was too over-done, at least in my view).

Comment

1. The movie on the Zulu's vs. the British was Zulu Dawn. If you remember, as the sun came up in the morning it was kind of an "Oh, Sh--" scenario in front of the British. While I don't truly know how much difference it would have made in the end, but I've often wondered two things about the battles depicted in the movie. First were the ammo distribution scenes accurately depicted, especially the supply sargents refusals of requests for additional bullets? And two would an adequate distribution of ammo changed the outcome at all or just provided more dead on both sides but the same ultimate results? I saw the movie about half way through my 13 1/2 yrs in Service and it reinforce some of the concepts that I had been taught. Primarily, with enough disciplined troops, you don't need high tech to win.

2. The movie "Das Boot"/"The Boat" was indeed a great movie and the book is even better, especially in the original German. My addition has additional comments by Herr Glass about the background for the book. The English version that was/is? available here in the states is a fairly accurate translation and the movie follows the book(s) quite closely. A lot better than most movie adaptations of books do.

Ken

Comment

There may have been a different title for the Zulu film in the US, in the UK the one with Micheal Caine in it was just called Zulu, unless there is some weird little suffix title that nobody talks about...
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

sorry double post
                [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited December 13, 2000).]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Zulu was the Michael Caine vehicle,
                  Zulu Dawn a later clone with Burt Lancaster?, but probably better authenticity...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                  "The Great Library must be built!"
                  "A short cut has to be challenging,
                  were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                  - Paul Craven
                  [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited December 13, 2000).]
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I'm a little late on this, finbar...The Mouse That Roared is a great flick. I guess it only goes to show that with a little brains and some uncanny good luck, anyone can win the battle.
                    "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Just to clear things up:

Zulu Dawn- With Burt Lancaster and Peter O'Toole. Depicts the battle of Isandlwana.

Zulu- Shows the Battle of Rorke's Drift where the British garrison of 180 men faces 6,000 Zulu warriors.

Shaka Zulu- Movie about the life of Shaka Zulu. (Just added this for further arguments)

------------------
                      "We sought to throw a raging lion ashore; what we got was a stranded whale!" -Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
                      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

OK, I need a little help here. It's been close to 20 years since I saw any of the Zulu movies and maybe I have some misconnections between movies and titles. The movie that I thought was Zulu Dawn starts out with a discussion between various Powers that Be about the situation with the Zulus and whether/where they will attack and the Army's readiness/ability to handle the situation. The battles took place on fairly heavily raveened areas which gave the Zulus a considerable advantage. The British troops were using manually loaded breech loading firearms. They were vastly out numbered and did not have enough cases of ammo located at their forward deployed positions. This is what lead to my original question about the battle as depicted in the movie. The implications of the movie was that one of the main causes, if not the main cause, of the British Defeat was that too many units had people standing in line waiting for the distribution of too little additional ammunition that would arrive too late or not at all. Don't ask who was in this movie, because I have no clue. Hopefully someone of you can tell me which movie I actually saw. This was in a theater and not on TV so it wasn't Shaka Zulu, which I only saw part of anyway.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Ken,

If the movie you saw had the British holed up in a mission, then it's Zulu. But I think you're talking about Zulu Dawn which in the beginning has a meeting with a Zulu ambassador and some British officials and the battle was lost because ammunition wasn't brought to the front in an orderly manner

------------------
                          "We sought to throw a raging lion ashore; what we got was a stranded whale!" -Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
                          Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

The ANZAC, thank you. I thought that I had seen Zulu Dawn. As I said the battle scenes were all on broken terrain. For the most part the Zulus were below the line of sight for the British or out of range and then they just swarmed up the hillsides overwhelming the defenders.

SG is probably correct in his assessement that Zulu Dawn may have been more technically accurate, at least as far as the terrain goes. I've replayed the battle as the Zulus in the Victoria campaign using Age of Rifles and the terrain map is full of hills, knolls, and ravines of various sizes. SSI is usually quite accurate in their preset scenarios and campaign components, consistant with game play requirements.

Do you know was ammunition distribution a significant problem in the actual battle? Or, was that just another case of American Filmmakers picking on the British Mentality for a bigger box office take?

Ken

Comment

Some more...

Horseman VS Horseman > THE ALAMO
                              Legion VS Phalanx > SPARTACUS
                              Catapult VS Warrior > CLEOPATRA
                              Subs VS Subs > 10,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA

Each and everyone of those "movies" had units that looked almost identical to Civ's.

And the last but not the extremely important historical figure least;

Better believe it, because it was a pivotal bravery and courageous heroe in the glorious FRANCE against the BRITAIN invasion...

Knights VS Settlers and Fanatics > JOAN OF ARC

Comment

Oi! it wasn't a British invasion it was an ENGLISH invasion, we Scots have a alliance of over 700 with our French friends. So watch it or I'll start referring to you as an American.
                                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X