• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horribly Scratched CD

I decide to reinstall Civ2 *yay!*
    The CDs are missing *boo!*
    I find all 3 CDs (Civ 2, conflicts, FW and install them *yay!*
    The FW one is horribly scratched *boo!*

Anyway, the point is... anyone know how to fix a really scratched CD?

This might sound odd. I have never tried it. It was suggested by Stereophile Magazine years ago when I used to read it. It was also suggested in reference to audio CDs and CD-ROMs have a lot more data on them.

With that said. I had read that applying Turtle Wax or a Silicon lightly to the CD will fill in the scratch enough that the laser should be able to read the data without skipping.

I don't know how this effects the inside of a CD drive and I take no responsibility for it. The other option is that I have seen these disks at Target for $10 on the discount rack. That might be the safer solution.
    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

There are CD repair kits on the market for about a fiver - in essence a commercial form of the above - good luck

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
      "The Great Library must be built!"
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Actually... What files are placed and/or changed around(apart from the new scenarios).
        It may be possible for someone to e-mail them to someone if it's small enough, or possibly put on the web...

Comment

I ran into exactly the same problem a couple weeks ago! My eldest needed me to reinstall Age of Empires, but the CD was HORRIBLELY scratched! MacSoft Tech Support offered to sell me a new CD, but also suggested trying a polishing compound to repair the scratches.

So, off to a music store I went (CompUSA and other local computer don't carry the stuff, go figure), and bought "CD SCRATCH REMOVER" distributed by EZ bros, Inc. It works just like a fine rubbing compound and removed or at least diminished the scratches. The CD played fine immediately after polishing. The cost was about $8.00 US, but was an instant solution and didn't require postage and handling!

I'm sure that there are similar products by other companies, just look for them in music stores. Good luck!

------------------
          "And now for something completely different..."
          - John Cleese
          "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

There's a downloadable patch to upgrade the game somwhere. Not a chance for scenarios, though.

Comment

I don't care about the scenarios, I just want the patch.

Comment

Working...
              X