Editing Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Units

I'm back into playing Civ2 after far too long away...I was just checking out some sites with scenarios and new units. I've never tried editing units, but what I'm looking for is to change the spy unit into a James Bond type of character.

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong forum, but thanks in advance for your comments.
    "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Do you mean the graphics?

Comment

yes, the units file...I checked out several sites today which provided alternate units, but I've never actually edited my units file. I like some of the units included with the scenarios, especially the spy unit from Jules Verne. I was just wondering how difficult it is to change them in the regular game mode. I especially want to change the lady spy unit to either the one from Jules Verne or to a 007 styled character.

I appreciate your reply.
      "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

It is fairly easy to change the images. I have used photographs to produce new graphics. Photoshop allows you to simplify the colours and reduce the size of the photo you are working from. Once you have an image that you are comfortable with, reduce it to the size of the existing units in the .gif file. Then paste your new image on top of the old one and save the combined image under the old name. (It's a good idea to save a back-up of the old file under a different name or in another folder.) This can be done with other image editing programs, but beware, there seems to be more than one version of the gif format and Microsoft Photo Editor saves in the wrong format.

Good luck

RJM at Sleeper's

PS You can use the same method to "borrow" a graphic from a scenario and incorporate it in your standard game. Just cut and paste the unit from one gif to another. You need to get it lined up correctly, but that's no big deal. (RJM)
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Yup - RJM has it right - no big deal - I use Paint Shop Pro - have you looked at mindseye's graphics in the directory here - I think they rock!

Stu
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice! It doesn't sound too difficult, so I'm looking forward to trying out a few things. I love Civ2, but sometimes I get bored with the same old units. I can't wait 'til work is over today

"Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

I couldn't wait until after work, so I tried using Microsoft Paint to edit the units file. It appeared that all was going well until I tried to run Civ2, then I got some error message. After I replaced the modified units file with the original, Civ runs fine. I guess I'll have to use some program other than MS Paint? I think that's all I have, and there probably isn't a free version anywhere either....

"Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

I don't know how to do this either, but I seem to recall that MS Paint does not create gif files. Did you try to save as .gif??

Monk
                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

yeah, I tried loading the UNITS.gif file with MS Paint, editing it, then saving it as a GIF file, but Civ still won't run when I used the edited UNITS.gif file...I guess I'll have to get another program before I can edit anything
                  "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

I just noticed that the CITIES.gif file includes a "Modern Alt" design...does anyone know if these can be used in a regular game?
                    "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

What version of Civ2 do you have? If you don't have classic (2.42) you can also use bitmaps...

But you definitely can't use MS Paint for GIFs for Civ2.
                      Most people here use demo versions of Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. Funnily enough, all those demo versions seem to magically work forever.

And sure you can use the "modern alt.". Not as an extra style, but simply by copy-pasting it onto one of the other city styles.
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I have Civ II MPGE 5.2.5f

Thanks for the tips....so I can just search for "download paint shop pro demo" ?
                        "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

Nevermind...I'm downloading a evaluation version of Paint Shop Pro 8...and I'm getting very little done @ work today
                          "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

hmm, I must be retarded...I got the evaluation version of Paint Shop Pro, and tried editing my units.gif file. I basically just cut the spy unit from the Verne scenario and pasted it over the regular spy unit...then I saved the file as a .gif, but I still get an error message when I try to run Civ...aaaargh!
                            "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar the Glutton
                              hmm, I must be retarded...I got the evaluation version of Paint Shop Pro, and tried editing my units.gif file. I basically just cut the spy unit from the Verne scenario and pasted it over the regular spy unit...then I saved the file as a .gif, but I still get an error message when I try to run Civ...aaaargh!
                              Interesting. My experience has been that if you don't get it right, the game still runs, but without the images - rather an eerie experience.

At the moment, it sounds to me as if there is a problem with the format of the file you are saving. If you can give us the exact error message we may be able to give some specific suggestions.

RJM at Sleeper's
                              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Working...
                              X