A Few Problems with the MGE Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Problems with the MGE Upgrade

I have a few questions about the upgrade I ran into after installation. I would be most grateful for any information on the following questions:

1. I have heard of an MGE patch, but I haven't seen it anywhere. What problems does it solve?

2. When loading most of my old savegames, the MGE says they're not valid, but will load them anyway, provided I load a valid game first. Does this have adverse consequences I should know about?

3. I upgraded to MGE essentially for the No Limits patch. I did not play MGE until I intalled it. I was trying to max out my score in "Fading Lights" and needed the game to allow more than 320,000,000 people. However, when I changed event files, they wouldn't work. At all. I tried an event file with a single event, a formerly valid RECIEVETECHNOLOGY, and it would not work. The Events stopped working for all Fading Lights files, except the starting *.scn file. Where did I go wrong?

4. Without the patch, do the cities still grow past 320,000,000, a fact which the counter does not recognize?

5. I know the limit of the nuber of cities is capped at 255. However, I remember reading that there was a patch that allowed something like 8, or 10, or 16 more cities. If memory sevres, it was suppossed to work, but I can't remember what it was. What was it?

6. I've started a game of Red Front, and want to know if it's still playable in MGE at Diety. I know the AI is supposed to be nastier, but I'm not sure if that means it's smarter. Any help would be nice.

7. One last conversion question. I used the TOT coverter on Fading Lights, but the Latin (White) cities would crash the game if anyone, including the AI, tried to acces the build menu. A one turn game is not fun. I don't want to play the scenario on TOT, as I love the monestary (airbase) bonuses too much to lose them. Nonetheless, does anyone know how this might be corrected in the future?

I've tried looking for these answers in past posts, but have been unable to do so. Thank you in advance.

The MGE patch is not recognised as "official" by Apolyton.

Can I suggest that you copy your post above and go and post it at http://forums.civfanatics.com
    Someone there will help you with your upgrade problems. It's not that we're unwilling to help, but the rules here won't allow anyone to post the patch. Ask at CFC though.

Comment

Re: A Few Problems with the MGE Upgrade

Originally posted by konig15
      1. I have heard of an MGE patch, but I haven't seen it anywhere. What problems does it solve?
      I hope you're referring to the official update here. You can find it at my website, for instance:

I have no idea what it fixes though... This text file should explain:
      ftp://ftp.microprose.com/pub/mps-onl...civ2mgev13.txt

(curse Cedric Greene! People can't even ask for the regular update anymore... I suggest we perma-ban all illegal patch users. )

3. I upgraded to MGE essentially for the No Limits patch. I did not play MGE until I intalled it. I was trying to max out my score in "Fading Lights" and needed the game to allow more than 320,000,000 people. However, when I changed event files, they wouldn't work. At all. I tried an event file with a single event, a formerly valid RECIEVETECHNOLOGY, and it would not work. The Events stopped working for all Fading Lights files, except the starting *.scn file. Where did I go wrong?

I created the event-swapping batch file for that, so I can probably fix that... What exactly did you do?

To change the events, you need to drop your savegame onto the evntswap batch file and it will automatically change the events to the next set.

If you simply run the batch file (without dropping your savegame onto it), the events text file will be changed to the first set again, but the events in your savegame remain untouched... This could be your problem.

4. Without the patch, do the cities still grow past 320,000,000, a fact which the counter does not recognize?

No, I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I think the population suddenly flips to zero or something.

5. I know the limit of the nuber of cities is capped at 255. However, I remember reading that there was a patch that allowed something like 8, or 10, or 16 more cities. If memory sevres, it was suppossed to work, but I can't remember what it was. What was it?

No can do... 254 is the max, if ever there could be more, it wouldn't be such a handful but rather thousands...

Julius Brenzaida did experiment with this though (this might be what you read), and tried increasing the limit. But this has all sorts of ugly side effects where civ2 really can't distinguish the 1st and 257th city (or the 2nd and 258th etc.)... The number 255 is used to denote the "NONE" predicate, so to speak, so that city (#256 in fact) will cause even more problems.

With the city limit, it isn't just the executable, but the entire savegame structure that is causing the problems.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
      X