Screwiness in the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwiness in the game

I've been playihng Civ II (MPGE) for a long time. About two years ago, something happened to which I have not yet been able to find a solution.

In certain of the tables, such as the Supply and Demand tables, all the city names come out as square blocks, the sort of thing that happens when the computer can't read the font.

My immediate reaction was to reinstall the game, which I did. Still the same result.
    I am now using a different cojputer altogether, a brand new one, and still the problem exists.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this, or have any idea what it mmight be, and even more important, how to correct it?

Jimw

Never seen this. While I'm no expert, it might be helpful if you noted whether you've installed any patches to your game, plus your basic OS etc.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Never seen it before myself. I would try a reinstall first.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, he already reinstalled, and later switched to a new comp...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Don't mean to offend if you aren't in the wrong here, but was this a genuine version of the wonderful Civ?

You'd also be wise to try installing or even reinstalling patches until you find one that works properly.

Comment

I've had it happen in Classic (the funny font thing) a few times on different computers. (both computers were in sorry shape) Try a double check -- open up MS Word & see if you get font funnyness.

It has happened on my current computer once (warning Will Robinson -- DANGER), but that was after a long evening -- so my guess is this a case of tired (maybe warm & dusty) machine -- not the game.
            Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
              Well, he already reinstalled, and later switched to a new comp...
              I've had a lot of software that had to be reinstalled more than once to fix it. And having to reinstall the OS after a good wiping.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There might be something with the font (Times New Roman), but then, it doesn't happen to all text. Right?

Did you install any modpacks, edit the city list or something of the sort?
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Did you edit any of the TXT files? If so, what editor did you use?

Comment

Working...
                  X